Pistol Purchase, Sources,and Cheapest

TT/Ameasap

The White Blur
My next pistol purchase will be a good ol 1911 style. Can anyone recomend a better price than the taurus PT917 @ $450 shipped? I was amazed to see that gun so cheap. I never bought a gun online....What do I need? I have a FOID card for IL. Anyway, I love the Kimber tac. II , but out of my price range. The new XD-m .40 cal I can get for $480 from a good source which I think is a no brainer. Did I mention the Kimbers:D ? I really want a tac.II for around 700:biggrin:

GunsAmerica - Connecting Gun Buyers to Gun Sellers Since 1997 - Guns For Sale & Gun Auctions B"H seems to be a good source

GunBroker.com Online Gun Auction seems harder to navigate:redface:

I do support my local gun shops, but I am getting tired of overpaying for purchases I have made.

Thanks

Have it shipped to someone with a FFL for usually a small fee. One of the sites has a search feature for local FFL carriers.
GB.com is like ebay for guns, use the search in the upper right corner. Xd has some problems and they are anal about any mods, ie sights, etc.(warranty). Kimbers are good but pricey. Taurus makes a good product for the price.
helpful site for seeing whats available:
http://www.gundirectory.com/body.asp?gun=Pistol&pp=1&sort=-3&pop=1

Try Rock Island Armory. From what I hear they make excellent M1911s.
There also quite inexpensive and have great customer service.
Go to The M1911 Pistols Organization, this is a M1911 forum. They have sections for all major makers of M1911, I'm sure they could help you with your choice.

Update

I just held a Springfield 1911-A1 and I love it! $880 at the local dealer tho!! Price seems high.

The new xdm .40 and 9mm seem awkward in my hands.

Just shot a Ruger MarkIII .22 and hated it! I guess Im all over the board compared to mag reviews.

Taurus 917 seemed like a comfortable gun and it was $500 at local dealer.

Decide on what you want the weapons duty to be for, ie home defense, personal carry, marksmanship/rec shooting. Factor in how much are the rds, ease of operation, concealability, etc.
You don't have to spend alot on a good weapon, my c/c is a Ruger P95 (9mm) new cost was @$350. Wife c/c is a Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact(9mm) smaller frame and fits her hand perfectly for about the same price. Both low dollar weapons and have performed flawlessly.
Home defense...how about a Taurus Judge:biggrin:
Handle EVERY gun before you buy and make sure it's simple to operate if it is for personal defense.

No C/C here in IL. So it would be for home defence. I already have the Ruger SR9 and am just blown away Pun intended:biggrin: At how this gun feels and performes. Just looking for something compareable.... Thats probably why I am having a hard time.

Springfield 1911a1 was purchased today! I couldnt find a better deal and it fits perfect. I am getting into IPCS this month and start some training.;)