Pig rich on dyno with poor numbers

Val1550

Hi all, New to the TR world. I just installed a new AlkyControl system with TT 5.7 Chip. Other mods include larger turbo, front mount intercooler, 212 comp cam, 42lbs injectors, etc. Put the car on the dyno the other day and only ran 310hp/330tq. Shop said I was running at around 9:1 air/fuel on their wide-band which I know is rich. Is this just as easy as going in the scanmaster/tt chip and taking fuel out at WOT? And how much to start with? Thank you all!!! Great site!!!

Are you sure you have the alky system hooked up right?

If it’s not alky chip you’re adding more fuel with ally and if it is alky chip you might be dumping way too much alky into motor. Is the boost level where the chip is tuned for?

Chip is for 93 Octane and alky. I'm running right around 23lbs of boost. Sometimes take it up to 26 but no knock is recorded.

Chip is for 93 Octane and alky. I'm running right around 23lbs of boost. Sometimes take it up to 26 but no knock is recorded.

Lean it out to 10.8 air fuel, pull out 15% fuel as a starter and creep from there.

Remove 15% right away? I thought the max you could pull out was 20% I would think I should start at maybe 5% and go from there?? Yes you are right I am looking for somewhere high 10/low 11 AFR.

What are you measuring the a/f ratio with?

Do you have a scanmaster? You can monitor the o2s and change the settings in the chip driving around rather than wasting money on a dyno.

Hi all, New to the TR world. I just installed a new AlkyControl system with TT 5.7 Chip. Other mods include larger turbo, front mount intercooler, 212 comp cam, 42lbs injectors, etc. Put the car on the dyno the other day and only ran 310hp/330tq. Shop said I was running at around 9:1 air/fuel on their wide-band which I know is rich. Is this just as easy as going in the scanmaster/tt chip and taking fuel out at WOT? And how much to start with? Thank you all!!! Great site!!!
You need to turn the alcohol off and lower the boost to 17 and get it to run right at that boost level,then add a little alcohol and raise the boost a little at a time. I would bet that your alcohol system is spraying too much alcohol.

Yup, back to basics. Turn off alky, baseline at 15-16 psi on pump 93. Things like fuel pressure etc. Then add boost and alky. Make sure initial turn on and gain are not to the moon. Stock heads? A cam and not touching the heads, big limitation there, so if there was 23 psi boost, that is for a stock head, which isn't very good compared to even bowl porting, which could explain the fueling issue.

You can do a lot of tuning with just the narrow band. Some of the well learned here have run 9s with just a Scanmaster. Like others suggest turn down the boost and get it tuned clean and then raise the boost and adjust the chip as needed. It may just be burned a little rich which is not a bad thing since running lean is one of the quickest ways to blow the head gaskets.

Remove the chip and check to see how many pounds of boost Eric has the high gear fuel set at. If it says 25 or higher then it'll be pig rich in high gear. You can add or subtract 20 percent of fuel in low/high gear. You can also add/subtract timing in low/high gear. DON'T pull 15 percent of fuel all at once as temp/humidity play a huge roll in tuning Erics 5.7 chip...and you could take out a set of head gaskets. You have your choice of either pulling high gear fuel or turning the alky down. Whichever you choose...do it in SMALL increments until you reach your desired AF.

Here's a vid from my channel on how to adjust Erics chip.

It's always a good idea to order your chip from Eric for YOUR exact combination...and always let Eric know your max boost...as that's what he sets the high gear fueling for. Eric also factors in the heads, IC and turbo size etc. There's a number on the chip...and Eric can tell you what it was burned for if you bought a used one.

Im going to start as most of you say. Turn down boost and get running real nice then move my boost back up slowly to the middle 20's while adjusting alky. I guess always start rich and work your way to lean is best. I'll keep posting my adjustments and results. Thank you all !!!!!!

I don't like the TT Chip because WOT fueling is based on a certain amount of pre determined air entering the engine. If you don't run enough boost to put that amount of air into the engine,your air/fuel ratio will be rich. This means that if you want to run less boost,you can't. This will be problematic if the OP wants to run 17 lbs of boost with 93 octane fuel. He has to run 17 psi if he uses 93 octane,but he won't be able to tune at 17 psi because of the extra fuel that his TT chip will arbitrarily inject into the engine.
The other option is to run an Extender or Extender Extreme chip with a MAF translator. When we do this,we have a fueling system that injects fuel base on the actual amount of air entering the engine because it doubles the amount of air that it is capable of measuring in the case of the Extender chip. It is able to accurately read an even higher amount of air volume in the case of the Extender Extreme chip instead of injecting an arbitrary/pre-determined amount of fuel. You can run more or less boost and the fueling system will adjust the amount of fuel accordingly based on the amount of air that it is capable of measuring and does measure. The TT can't measure the actual air entering the engine so it is up to the operator to force the correct amount of air into the engine based on the amount of fuel that the chip is programmed to inject.
The majority of people on this site will automatically advise other people to purchase a TT chip while they have no idea of the adjust ability of the Extender and Translator.