Phoenix!- Drag Racing and car show- Friday night, May 3

Applekrate

Hello to my Buick friends,
I am happy to announce that I have booked Firebird raceway for 3 days in early May. There will be different event formats each day.
Some of them will appeal to the Turbo Buick group and I hope you consider attending.

Friday night, May 3 6-11pm
Muscle Car Challenge- open to all years and types of domestic muscle! Of course, Turbo Buicks are very much a part ohis. There will be a car show plus trophy and money brackets ( non electronic unless I have demand for it ).

Saturday night May 4- Saturday morning and afternoon is for Pontiac powered entries only but, in the evening, this change.
6pm onward- An open test and tune willbe offered .

This is a partial listing of the weekends schedule that would pertain to Turbo v6 Buicks. If you would like to see the full weekend schedule, please go to www.pontiacheaven.org and click on the 15th annual Pontiac Heaven page.

If you have questions, email or call me.

Sponsor and vendor opportunities too- contact me. 480-899-7873

We hope to see many Turbo Buicks in attendence!

Thank you,
Steve

I thought Firebird was a done deal...does this mean it's still going to be open?...if so who's running
it now?

I thought Firebird was a done deal...does this mean it's still going to be open?...if so who's running
it now?

Not sure who your source is on the 'done deal' but,you are getting wrong info from them. Firebid is simply going through a change of management and will open more in the future than it has in the past once the transition is complete.

That's all I've been reading about on the internet and the Firebird Website...just do a Google search on 'Firebird' and 'Closing'...plenty of info and not one states that it's just going through a management change...it would be nice if someone posted something on the Firebird Website indicating it is just going through a mgmt change...I was close to considering selling my race car because Speedworld is closed and the info I was getting was that Firebird was gone too...

The Firebird website was hyping up the closure to attract record attendence for their final event at the end of March with Robosaurus, Bigfoot and Jets vs Funny Cars. It is more than just a management change. Firebird is located on an Indian Reservation and the tribe did not renew the lease. Rumor is that some of the equipment belonged to the individuals that were leasing the facility, so there is debate as to what goes with the track and what doesn't. The last I heard was that at present there is nothing in writing with a new management team and the track is closed for the season except for one off events such as this one.

I was at Bondurant a couple months ago (they sit on adjacent property). They have just successfully renewed their lease with the tribe. It sounded like maybe there were some egos interfering with the Firebird / tribe negotiations.

Last Thursday, I had another meeting with the new track president and he sadly informed me that the new timing system that is on order will not be installed and ready by the May3-5 dates. He does feel bad because he cannot be ready as he told me but, has done all he can do. So, my events are postponed, probably a few weeks, until the new system is up and running. A new state of the art compulink system is on order and will be installed in May. Will keep you posted.

As far as the firebird website, etc, please remember that the former track president owns that site, as well as the ph#s, etc. So, of course, you are only going to hear and read what he wants to put on it. There will be a new site, ph#s, etc when the track re opens. I was also told the new name is still undecided. The original idea was "Firebird Motorsports Park" which now may or may not be used. That is what is current.

Well it is good to hear that someone is working through the issues and that there still ma be a track here in Phoenix.
Hopefully it all works out, but will not hold my breath!

Hello and here is the latest info on 'firebird'. Firebird is quotes because I have learned that the name will definately be changed. Also, the possible late May dates for my events and been put off further. After getting off the phone with the new track president, they are now not planning to open until late summer or early fall.
With that said, I am hoping run my Pontiac Buick Olds FALL FEST there the first weekend in November.
It looks like there will be no drag racing in the Phoenix area until the fall.