Performance recommendations in CA

PRyan

Hello Everyone,

My name is Patrick and I am a new member located in California. I have always wanted a Grand National since I was a teenage and can afford to have one as a weekend car now that I am in my 40's! I am new to the turbo world and was hoping to get some recommendations from all of you regarding what performance upgrades I should consider since I am in California and will have to smog the car which includes a tailpipe test and a visual inspection. My car is a bone stock 87 with 93K mile on it with the exception of a 2.5" Pypes Race Pro cat-back exhaust I installed a few months ago. It will only be driven on the street and will probably never be raced.

I have been reading the many posts on the site for the past few months and have come up with the following list of potential mods:
  1. Spring cleaning (In progress)
  2. Scanmaster
  3. Fuel pump upgrade/hotwire kit (I think this change may require an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. If yes, is there a "stock appearing" recommendation that anyone has?)
  4. Turbo Tweak chip & 42lb/hr injector combo (Sent an email to Eric regarding this and he mentioned possibly upgrading to the 60lb/hr injectors and also probably needing his emissions chip to pass smog)
  5. LS1 MAF/Translator/MAF Pipe (Do you think a cold air intake would pass a visual smog inspection? Most smog techs don't pay too much attention to mods if cars appear stock.)
  6. Should I consider a torque convertor upgrade or is this overkill for how I intend on using the car?
Thanks everyone and please let me know if you have any questions!

IMG_0216.jpgIMG_0206.jpgIMG_0183.jpg

Follow Erics recommendation. No for the torque convertor. Shameless plug for my YouTube channel in my sig. :) Someone from Cali needs to answer your smog question. Happy spooling!

Follow Erics recommendation. No for the torque convertor. Shameless plug for my YouTube channel in my sig. :) Someone from Cali needs to answer your smog question. Happy spooling!
Thanks Scooby Doo, I've ben subscribed to your channel for a few months now and have watched your videos. Thanks for the reply!

you don't need a torque convertor for what your have in mind ... read some of the posts in smog section for some tips ...there are some old school stock FPR's that have been modified to be adjustable..but will have to track a decent one down ..im sure some guys have some ..but would recommend a nice new one from kirbans ...have heard the accufab ones have had issues ...you are very close to Bruce Toelle who knows a little bit about turbo Buicks LOL... smog will be one of your greatest hurdles and he can probably help you with that as he knows best places to go for that BS..very nice car ..sounds like your on the right track :cool: cheers

Nice car!

Contact Lou Czarnota, aka TurboLou here on the board, in Lake Forest, CA.

You CANNOT go wrong using him for upgrading and tuning your car.

Last edited:
you don't need a torque convertor for what your have in mind ... read some of the posts in smog section for some tips ...there are some old school stock FPR's that have been modified to be adjustable..but will have to track a decent one down ..im sure some guys have some ..but would recommend a nice new one from kirbans ...have heard the accufab ones have had issues ...you are very close to Bruce Toelle who knows a little bit about turbo Buicks LOL... smog will be one of your greatest hurdles and he can probably help you with that as he knows best places to go for that BS..very nice car ..sounds like your on the right track :cool: cheers
Thanks for the info Grass Doctor as well as the compliment. I will definitely take sometime and read thru the Smog Section thoroughly. Do you know which city Bruce lives in here in CA?

Nice car!

Contact Lou Czarnota, aka TurboLou here on the board, in Lake Forest, CA.

You CANNOT go wrong using him for upgrading and tuning your car.
Thanks TurboTGuy, I will definitely keep Lou in mind. I've seen a few posts here mentioning the quality work that he does. He is Southern CA while I'm in Northern CA, but if that is where I can find a quality shop then that should not be an issue for me. I did a quick google search and Lake Forest is about a 6.5 hour drive from Sacramento.

he's in galt ... and I just got off the phone with him he will smog your car..he still works sometimes:p at Specialized Exhaust and Automotive in Elk Grove just south of SAC...you might want to smog your car before you add all your mods then can deal with that down the road ..just saying ...send me pm ill get you in touch with bruce if your still close by

he's in galt ... and I just got off the phone with him he will smog your car..he still works sometimes:p at Specialized Exhaust and Automotive in Elk Grove just south of SAC...you might want to smog your car before you add all your mods then can deal with that down the road ..just saying ...send me pm ill get you in touch with bruce if your still close by
Appreciate it Grass Doctor! I am still in Sacramento and Elk Grove and Galt are not very far away at all so that would be an easy drive for me. I am not due for a smog for a few more months, but I will send you a PM to get Bruce's contact info. Thanks again!

Patrick

Hello Everyone,

My name is Patrick and I am a new member located in California. I have always wanted a Grand National since I was a teenage and can afford to have one as a weekend car now that I am in my 40's! I am new to the turbo world and was hoping to get some recommendations from all of you regarding what performance upgrades I should consider since I am in California and will have to smog the car which includes a tailpipe test and a visual inspection. My car is a bone stock 87 with 93K mile on it with the exception of a 2.5" Pypes Race Pro cat-back exhaust I installed a few months ago. It will only be driven on the street and will probably never be raced.

I have been reading the many posts on the site for the past few months and have come up with the following list of potential mods:
  1. Spring cleaning (In progress)
  2. Scanmaster
  3. Fuel pump upgrade/hotwire kit (I think this change may require an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. If yes, is there a "stock appearing" recommendation that anyone has?)
  4. Turbo Tweak chip & 42lb/hr injector combo (Sent an email to Eric regarding this and he mentioned possibly upgrading to the 60lb/hr injectors and also probably needing his emissions chip to pass smog)
  5. LS1 MAF/Translator/MAF Pipe (Do you think a cold air intake would pass a visual smog inspection? Most smog techs don't pay too much attention to mods if cars appear stock.)
  6. Should I consider a torque convertor upgrade or is this overkill for how I intend on using the car?
Thanks everyone and please let me know if you have any questions!

View attachment 351036View attachment 351038View attachment 351039

Congratulations on your purchase. I’m very happy for you!
It does look very spoolicious! Lol

I live in CA and the only upgrades i have that would not pass my smog test are, turbo, chip, intake, fuel pressure reg, and precision intercooler.

I remove them every two years to smog my car and reinstall them right after the test.

im in CA and luckily i have a buddy that knows a buddy's sisters cousin that handles it for me lol shoot me a message and i can possibly help you out but no promises.

I live in CA and the only upgrades i have that would not pass my smog test are, turbo, chip, intake, fuel pressure reg, and precision intercooler.

I remove them every two years to smog my car and reinstall them right after the test.
SFI Cutlass, I've thought about that as an option as well.

im in CA and luckily i have a buddy that knows a buddy's sisters cousin that handles it for me lol shoot me a message and i can possibly help you out but no promises.
Hi Dank GN, what city are you in?