Peek-a-Boo

mommasGN

Someone tell me this isn't my headgasket sticking out. Its on the drivers side. I was chasing an exhaust leak and noticed this. (I did have an exhaust leak at the manifold but sealed that up). Still have the craziest noise under boost 5psi and up, nothing at idle or cruising. I was going crazy looking for another exhaust leak. So my question is.....Is this a blown out gasket and im hearing combustion pressure escaping?

I just put head gaskets on this thing a year ago. But im pretty sure I know when this may have happened and have since fixed my lean issue.
HG1.jpg
HG2.jpg
HG1.jpg
HG3.jpg

Looks like it. Expanding gasses are getting out from there...thus the sounds you're hearing. Double up with what Chuck said.

A compression check may not show it. I had a car that tested good on the compression test but had a "pop" noise under boost. Turns out it had a blown head gasket on #4 cylinder. It would only leak to where it was noticeable under pressure from the combustion/power stroke.

100% The head gasket. Looks like it's a stock steel shim or an RJC gasket. The noise your hearing under boost is the pressure pushing by which makes a weird popping sound.

I hate to tell you but it's wounded. Pull the head and you'll see the full extent of the damage.

Neal