Pearl Harbor day today...

SouthernCal GN

I come in peace....AK AK
66 years ago today.....take a minute to think about that- then go thank a vet.

Kinda pisses me off that not too many folks take the time to remember that day.

Not a political rant, just a patriotic one.....

Enjoy!

"A day that will live in infamy"

This message brought to you by Toyota.

66 years ago today.....take a minute to think about that- then go thank a vet.

Kinda pisses me off that not too many folks take the time to remember that day.

Not a political rant, just a patriotic one.....

Enjoy!

ABSOLUTELY!!!! I usually take the day off to remember, but couldn't swing it today.

I will never forget going there as a child and trying to fight
back my tears as the Hawaiian Women sang their hymns to the dead.
Looking down and seeing the bubbles still coming up from the USS Arizona
was just too much. I will never forget that experience for the rest of my life.

Rant part 2:

When I lived in Hawaii, Pearl Harbor Day was a big thing (of course); after 9/11, it was a big thing for a couple of years.

Today, you'll find a passing mention of Pearl Harbor in a blurb on page 92 of your local paper, or buried somewhere deep in a web page......CNN, Foxnews, MSNBC- nobody remembers, or gives the day the respect it deserves.

Honolulu Star-Bulletin | starbulletin.com | /2007/12/07/

Rant part 2:

When I lived in Hawaii, Pearl Harbor Day was a big thing (of course); after 9/11, it was a big thing for a couple of years.

Today, you'll find a passing mention of Pearl Harbor in a blurb on page 92 of your local paper, or buried somewhere deep in a web page......CNN, Foxnews, MSNBC- nobody remembers, or gives the day the respect it deserves.

Honolulu Star-Bulletin | starbulletin.com | /2007/12/07/

They've been running specials every morning for about the last 5 days, on the History Channel.
I too used to live on Ohau while on sea duty there (late 60's/early 70's), and used to visit the Arizona Memorial several times a year.
I also have a U.S. flag (with certification letter) flown over the Arizona in my retirement shadow box. My most treasured possesion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been their and seen the ships. Got married on this day 11 years ago. It was a earie feeling out on the ships and seeing the one where the bubbles still come up.

My grandfather was a Marine in WWII, he told me so many stories of his duty in the South Pacific. He practically raised me on these stories. We had a tire shop back in the 70s and 80s, his friends (WWII, Korean and Viet Nam Vets) would come in when it was slow (as it was most of the time) and share all of their experiences. I sure miss those days, I sure looked up to those guys.

He was transfered to Pearl, just prior to being deployed to the South Pacific. He said it was weeks after the attack and it still looked as if it happened the day before. The man had seen histroy take place, he was there in the beginning just weeks after Pearl Harbor and in the end during the occupation of Nagaski Japan. The stories he shared were priceless...I pass them along to whom ever will listen....We should never forget, I never will.

Shame on those of you who forgot.

I just got back from the post office. So I'm standing there waiting and some clown walks in and says "why are the flags at half staff?". Everyone had that rolled eyes look on their face. I thought the 80 YO guy with the cane was going to kill somebody.

Kind of thread hi-jacking here, but I'd like to see a copy of the history books from my local school district. I wonder how the Liberals are rewriting history? The other day I was on google looking for some information and ran across quite a few sites that made reference to how the libs rewrote German history concerning the Berlin Airlift. I guess there is no reference made to what COUNTRY saved those people from death and starvation. I guess that should be expected from Europeans. It wouldn't surprise if it was also that way in Japan.:mad:

Several years ago, I had the privelege of sitting down and talking to a Pearl Harbor survivor. It was amazing how crystal clear his memories were, and how fitting the term "the Greatest generation" really was.

If we could only revive a fraction of the patriotism of that era.......

Several years ago, I had the privelege of sitting down and talking to a Pearl Harbor survivor. It was amazing how crystal clear his memories were, and how fitting the term "the Greatest generation" really was.

If we could only revive a fraction of the patriotism of that era.......

I completely agree, my grandfather remembered being on Tinian and seeing the shack that the first attomic bomb stored in. (he didn't know it until after the bomb was dropped) He told me it was just a shack with one sentry guarding it. They didn't want to draw attention to it. I asked if he remembered seeing the Enola Gay...He said no, it would have blended in with all of the other B-29s on the island.

I also remeber him telling me about his first experience in battle....from the troop ship, going down the jacobs ladders, Higgins boats, guys puking from the beans and lemonade (from the night before) diesel fuel and choppy seas, tracers flying over the boat, shells exploding nearby, bullets hitting the ramp, the officer telling him to go over the sides when they hit the shore and the squad leader in front of him and the GI behind him getting hit....I can remember hanging on his every word. He told me stories that he told nobody else, some pretty horrible stuff. God bless our solders and their familys...They sacrifice so much for our freedom.