PCV valve with catch can

mtocrs1

Mtocrs1
Is the actual PCV valve needed if running a catch can with a check before the catch can? Is the valve needed to meter the air? I'm running SD2 so it seems like I could delete the valve itself. Any opinions on this?
I am wanting to delete the valve and replace with a 90 degree fitting to route the PCV hose out the back of the intake manifold for a cleaner install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you need something. without the restriction you will pass a lot of air at idle and may not be able to get the idle speed low enough. under boost you will blow air out thru it.

Bob

I am wanting to delete the valve and replace with a 90 degree fitting to route the PCV hose out the back of the intake manifold for a cleaner install.
That will vent the intake manifold, not the crankcase which makes no sense.

Is the actual PCV valve needed if running a catch can with a check before the catch can? Is the valve needed to meter the air? I'm running SD2 so it seems like I could delete the valve itself. Any opinions on this?

Yes, leave the PCV valve there. It's a metered leak flowing from the crankcase to the intake. Without it, you'll pass more air than you should when in vacuum and could end up with idle problems and high BLMs.

But they also leak when they're supposed to be closed, so you back it up with the check valve to keep the boost out of the block.

you need something. without the restriction you will pass a lot of air at idle and may not be able to get the idle speed low enough. under boost you will blow air out thru it.

Bob

That is what I needed to know, thanks.

That will vent the intake manifold, not the crankcase which makes no sense.

I must not have been clear. The PCV valve grommet would have the 90 degree fitting to route the PCV line between the Manifold valley and plenum.

Someone made a sweet setup that used all an fittings. I can't find the post.

I must not have been clear. The PCV valve grommet would have the 90 degree fitting to route the PCV line between the Manifold valley and plenum.

Yes, that will work. I would still consider a catch can in the loop.

There is no benefit in deleting the PCV valve. If you want to run a catch can, do it. But the PCV valve ain't doing any harm being there.
You have the sweet setup I am looking for. You used a racetronics check valve in place of the PCV. Pictures are no longer available on the original thread.