PCV Valve Found not connected to Vacuum Block,plugged off

Grannie86

Recent '86 GN Owner. Replacing out Today old vacuum-block rubber lines ( 5 ) rubber O.D. hoses on Top send by Kirban. Inspecting & looking down for the line going to PCV is standing Proudly open to the Wind? O.D. line hose /cut and capped Off. Not sure Why it's Not connected up, do Have also I found/installed after market oil breather on passenger-side of valve cover, bit oily? Just need some input from Older Turbo Guys, why this was Done and would it be safe to reconnect or Not worry about it rite Now

The previous owner probably was getting a lot of blow by so he blocked it off and cleaned it up and sold it . The pcv was probably sucking a lot of oil do he blocked it off . Basically the motor should be gone through . If it isn’t that bad you can put it off for awhile but it won’t ever get better just worse unfortunately. What’s the oil level at? Does the motor get oily after it’s seen boost? I’ve seen motors that spit oil out the dipstick when it got into boost . That was passed any kinda band aids .

O and you should have posted this in the general or engine section btw .

Is it mostly stock? And how many miles on it?
Without a PCV you will find oil under a aftermarket cap.
Just slowdown and and don’t rush into a overhaul yet.
PVC system is a wonderful thing but it has to be correct Kirban has the only correct PCV for our cars

Yes '86 GN @ 28K , mostly stock ( 3rd Owner) Did notice (2) small holes drilled out,top of steering column. Maybe a Tac was there, possible previous orginal owner dragged race. I read with orginal PVC setup,oil is pulled up thru vacuum block at Hi-Boost ect. But my orginal setup is gone, I have a passenger-side after market breather from the elbow. Do have small oil leak at crank seal situation presently (just made a dip catch sponge at lower flywheel for now) Learning how/why the Turbo functions, reading about a oil catch-can ( I smell exhaust fumes sometimes at idle stop's, possible after oil breather farting fumes ect..) Thanks for advise

This sounds good. You can get all the PCV stuff from kirban.At boost it try’s to push boost into the crankcase not suck. Leave the filter breather there and run a PCV valve and all should be good.I ran RJC check valve too ,also at Kirban (if I find my old one you can have it)
Sorry to say but 28k means it has rope front and rear main seals and they will leak.no way out tell you change them.(Spoolfool on this form has a cool rearmain diaper)
The valve covers have a tendency to leak too try tightening them first.
Next check drivers side exhaust manifold where the three pipes come together and see if it cracked.This could be your smelly exhaust.
Next you need to go to the ECU pasanger side kick panel and see what Prom chip is in the computer.Older chips like Kenny Bell were rich at idle this too can be stinky.

Thanks for the input on my PVC situation, will checkout these area's you mention. Kirban site sounds Good as Well, Thx

That is try, I no longer run one,But here are the BUTS it will have oil mist in the engine compartment if you just vent the valve covers.Some chips might have BLM numbers issue.I don’t know that for sure.My 6.1 TT is good without a PVC.
I avoided the oil mist by hooking my valve covers and valley pan to the turbo inlet like the factory with a Cork Sport catch can in between.
It appears to me that he has a pretty much stock GN and is trying to avoid some of the issues of no PVC the simple way.
Removing it ,you will never boost the crankcase and make the oil leaks show it ugly head.
Use it and with a good valve and it should be ok,and I said should be as long as boost is keept under 20 psi.