PCV ( Positive Crankcase Ventilation ) Question

8d0acbdbfa12c38b6d5719e6b91fb461.jpg

Looking at going this route myself. Do you have any pictures of your setup that you don’t mind sharing?

So as not to flood this thread with a bunch of pics and derail the original thread topic, here's the link to my current antics with my GN.

https://turbobuick.com/threads/i-did-a-thing.455036/page-3

Post #58 has the pics. It's a dual -10 AN male fitting, single breather with a bottom drain catch can from Ebay. Fittings are to the left when mounted. 5/8" heater hose and -10 AN, straight, 90* and 45* black fittings from Ebay. Passengers side valve cover has a different grommet and a hose barb to -10 AN adapter fitting. The drivers side valve cover uses an adapter direct from Metco. I got the placement idea from Emilio (VenomGT87 on YouTube) when he did the video on his setup.

-Patrick-

If using open valve cover breathers, delete the PCV valve. Reason being, with the open breathers you can potentially pull unmetered outside air into the engine via engine vacuum. The O2 sensor should compensate for this however can and has caused a tip in stumble in my case.

Open breathers on the valve covers tend to collect oil and drip onto the headers/spark plug boots. I run a catch can with PCV and will be putting threaded 10an adapters to my covers then run those to a remote breather can setup.

I got the PCV back in working order , I have to say that DAMN grommet is a BITCH , I got one from Kirbans , took me forever to get it installed .
It was a pain on an engine stand, cant imagine leaning over a fender

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The ECM is expecting that metered vacuum leak and it sets the fueling accordingly. Plugging that up could potentially put the INT/BLMs out of range.

Yes seeing that. BLMs like hanging at 119.

Vented front cover the motor breaths a lot better.

83060dd96649c3ed5921c5a741fcbee0.jpg

4403dcca8d28b37a3f4e925182f440a0.jpg

8932e6d75505bb74a170306559f45d07.jpg

I don't see the need to lose the PCV. I still have a fabbed up version of it on my car. The key for this system to work effectively imo is the use of a valley pan under your intake manifold similar to the intake gasket that came stock. Something needs to be there to shield oil from splashing up into the PCV and coating your upper plenum. The PCV is essentially a check valve, so I got rid of my vacuum block on top of my throttlebody and run a intake spacer for my vacuum sources that keeps anything from soiling the upper half of my intake. Having a alky kit also keeps everything really clean too. While my engine was apart years ago, I took my intake over to Racetronix and we custom made my new PCV system you see below.

e910e596-0198-493f-b3f1-4b2335fa17d3_zpsp3ssf3fs.jpg
IMG_20160327_2355206_zpsqkv9qojz.jpg
IMG_20160327_2355052_zps8sgs7cup.jpg
IMG_20160328_0013452_zps30lampnp.jpg

Just to expand further on this ventilation topic. That PCV alone is not where it ended for me. I no longer have factory valve covers or draw crankcase pressure from my passenger side valve cover to my turbo inlet like the factory did. I used to run K&N filters on my valve covers but the smell of oil vapours inside the car forced me to make changes. I now run sealed Moroso breathers on both valve covers, and a electronic LT1 evac pump to vent the crankcase pressure. This has been on my car for well over 10 years now and still works extremely well. 2 Breathers, some heater hose, vacuum T, Lt1 pump ( I bought from Ebay for $60) and a Racetronix evac harness stopped the annoying smells, my oil dip stick from misting light oil under heavy load, and leaky valve covers that burn on my X over pipe under the car.

IMG_20170615_1807581_zpsepo5hdfj.jpg
IMG_20170616_2020128_zpsbv4jzaud.jpg

I don't see the need to lose the PCV. I still have a fabbed up version of it on my car. The key for this system to work effectively imo is the use of a valley pan under your intake manifold similar to the intake gasket that came stock. Something needs to be there to shield oil from splashing up into the PCV and coating your upper plenum. The PCV is essentially a check valve, so I got rid of my vacuum block on top of my throttlebody and run a intake spacer for my vacuum sources that keeps anything from soiling the upper half of my intake. Having a alky kit also keeps everything really clean too. While my engine was apart years ago, I took my intake over to Racetronix and we custom made my new PCV system you see below.

View attachment 334205View attachment 334206View attachment 334207View attachment 334208
I love this set-up. I assume this is a one off and Racetronix isn't selling them correct?

I love this set-up. I assume this is a one off and Racetronix isn't selling them correct?

Not really a one off. All fittings, teflon line and check valve are on their website. I used all dash 6 fittings on the whole thing. Very easy to make and fab up yourself.

That's a slick setup! I think I have looked up everything except the fitting after the bulkhead. Is it the 150 degree?