Pats converter

Aegis

Has anyone used Pats converter and can recommend it or not? Im looking at Pats simply because of price, but Ill spend more for a PTC if its worth it.

I run a Pat's converter stalled at 3500. Never had any problems and Steve is good to work with. Your call.

What are your goals??
I run high tens low 11's with one all the time. Most efficient????? Cost friendly yes.

i guess the question would be what kinda of slip are you guys seeing at the top end of the track?

I have a Pat's in both my 86 and 87. Steve is the best. I live about an hour away from them so that makes it even better for me :D One thing I will say is he is always improving on his converters. I had a converter that was 4 years old. I took it to him to go over and freshen it up while I had the engine and trans out recently for my 86. He said there was 2 new modifications he did to it that the one I had was missing. Always nice when someone has a great product and they keep improving on it! His prices are great to go over the converter years down the line. They have mounds and mounds of converters laying around that place. I'm hoping to have him out to the BPG event in Ohio this summer to display his converters.

I use his famous 1003XHD 10” 2004R W/Anti-balloon Plates. 2800-3000 stall. They spool their a$$ off both of them! :cool:

How can i contact, Pats Convertors? I just so happen to be in the Market for one for my 89TTA.

Steve at Pats is a great guy and definetly has great customer service. I have been running his convertors for a few years..But, the last 2 didnt last.

For me price was a lure but they just arent lasting. The one with the TCC springs broke I was locking it at WOT. Steve made it right and sent me one first and took care of the shipping back on the smoked one.

Recent one started rattling and the one before that the springs broke on the TCC assmbl.

The last one had never been forced L/U at WOT so it just decided to make noise in gear one day:confused:. Just for me I need something that lasts a bit more in a DD than a year.

Current one is a PTC 10" L/U...... jury is out on it since it only has about 2k miles on it and a month or so old.

I will say that they lost my convertor (the Pats one) i sent to them to cut open and fix and could find it. They charged me the minimum charge it takes to cut open and inspect a conv for the new one.

But the new one they made me was leaking out of the crank snout:mad: in gear.

They made it right and sent me anothera nd its in the car and working well...knock on wood.

But I cant help but wonder on their QC..im just saying. Since a friend had just a few 1/8th mile passes on his PTC and the fins let go in side.

I would use Pro Torque if had a chance to do it over.

Just get it as tight as you can if goin L/U so that it will couple hydraulically on the big end unlocked.

Not trying to throw mud here at Pats or PTC. Im just saying my real world experience.

Pat's 10 inch 3200 with anti balloon plate in my Vince Janis Stage 2 with brake. Good people to deal with.

Coach

I have never tried Pat's converters but have several friends running them and they are happy..

I have been running his convertors for a few years..But, the last 2 didnt last.

The first one I had was ok for a while,until the threaded hole for the bolt broke loose and wiped out the bottom end bearings in my motor.:mad:
I sent it back to him and he went through it and restalled it,another 250.00.
He told me my bolts were too long,I'm still running the same bolts,years later.:rolleyes:Now it has about 2000 miles and a few low 11 passes on it and it has basically destroyed my ck stage 2 trans.:mad:My trans. does alot of weird things it shouldnt do,and from everyone I have talked to all roads lead to the tc.Just my .02............Good Luck
I

I have been running his convertors for a few years..But, the last 2 didnt last.

The first one I had was ok for a while,until the threaded hole for the bolt broke loose and wiped out the bottom end bearings in my motor.:mad:
I sent it back to him and he went through it and restalled it,another 250.00.
He told me my bolts were too long,I'm still running the same bolts,years later.:rolleyes:Now it has about 2000 miles and a few low 11 passes on it and it has basically destroyed my ck stage 2 trans.:mad:My trans. does alot of weird things it shouldnt do,and from everyone I have talked to all roads lead to the tc.Just my .02............Good Luck
I

I had zero luck with CK's "Stuff" as well. Id get another vendor to build it. Just MO

Im looking at the price difference between the 12" and the 10" 2800 L/U what is the performance difference?

Smaller is better for fin angle in converters altho a 2800 isnt very high so just the weight savings would be a factor.

Im looking at the price difference between the 12" and the 10" 2800 L/U what is the performance difference?

Im in kind of the same boat as you.TE-44 Turbo with 3:73 Gear's.Im also going to get a converter.Its going to be a PTC 2800 10' or 9" because I want it once and be done with.I kind of like the 3:73 Gear's even with the 28 inch BFG Drag Radial's.Alot of guy's are trying to talk me out of them but I think 99% of the guy's on here are talking about for the Race track.Did you ever drive it with a 26 inch tall tire?? It feels like a 50 shot of Nitrous.:biggrin:

Here is a picture of my PTC converter that was behind a TE-44 turbo running 20 psi boost. Less than 2 yrs old and had a total of (7) 1/8th mile passes on it..

We are really not sure what happened to cause this (may be a fluke accident,who know's) but whatever did happen, it totally took out the converter and shot all kinds of metal shavings in my newly rebuilt trans. This kind of little "Mishap" can sure cause alot of $$ in damage..

Scot W.

Attachments

• PTC converter 001.jpg
    PTC converter 001.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 306
  • PTC converter 002.jpg
    PTC converter 002.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 291
  • PTC converter 005.jpg
    PTC converter 005.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 311
  • PTC converter 007.jpg
    PTC converter 007.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 308
This is what my new converter looked like before it was welded up and installed in my car.. I don't think I will be folding the fins over on this converter any time soon.. :biggrin:

Attachments

• PTC converter 008.jpg
    PTC converter 008.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 308

dam,Maybe the Vigilante converter I was always going to buy is back on my list.The place that sells the VIG reccomended a 3200 9.5 single disc L/U with my combination.