Passed Calif BUT

6pk2go

Reading the ranges in TX that UNGN posted for smog makes me wonder about the ranges I/we are held to in Calif. I have had to go to a "Test Only" station now for the last two checks I assume because as my certificate states I fit the "high emitter profile." I have posted my results below I would like some advice on getting the HC down since I barely passed.

15 mph CO2 02 HC CO NO
Max Meas Max Meas Max Meas
14.2 .8 126 125 .79 .31 1097 921
25 mph
14.3 .6 101 95 .59 .15 927 456

I had put back the fuel pressure reg. and back to stock chip. I did have a TA33c turbo installed, TPS enhancer and Postons headers, new EGR controller, O2 sensor and new cat. I had a two minute drive from the muffler shop (new cat) to the smog station, was that enough time for the cat to warm up?

It is quite possible that the cat was not up to temp. I wonder why, with a new cat that the O2 readings did not drop near zero. Also, the CO2 readings should be up in the high 14s to mid 15s. I did notice that the stock chip moved the HC emissions to borderline. Maybe that is inherent of the stock chip. The CO on the stock chip was way low and that is why I have always concluded that the stock parameters are lean. Two minutes to the test facility is quite a short time. Those are my best guesses. Hope it helps some. If not email me with a phone number and I'll call you.

Maybe that is inherent of the stock chip. The CO on the stock chip was way low and that is why I have always concluded that the stock parameters are lean.
GM released about four chips for these cars over the years (86, late86/all87, tta, and the emissions recall chip), and if you look in them they made the motor a little leaner each time they came out with a new chip. I played with my car some, leaning it out even more, and as I went leaner (no idea what afr I was at) the hc dropped more and eventually the co started rising, so I backed up a little and that's what I use for an emissions chip. I only had a hc/co meter, so I couldn't see what I was doing to the NOx, but my car passed that with plenty of room to spare.

When I first tested with a factory recall chip, the emissions were so lean that it bordered on lean misfire. I just couldn't see how the emissions could go any leaner. The HC began to drop with the Reds93. I can only assume that the fuel mapping is richer than stock. I cannot dispute your claim, because I have to plea ignorance when it comes to chips and chip burning. So I'm wondering if you actually went richer instead of leaner?

No, I definitely went leaner. Working from memory, I believer Red uses the late86/all of 87 stock chip as his base chip, so his closed loop should have the same afr as that chip.

Sorry for answering so slow, but I've been looking for a stoichiometric chart that would depict a little better explanation. I think I found one.chart
You have to scoll down until you can see the relationship of the 5 gases (HC, CO, NOx, CO2 and O2). From the chart, if the mixture is rich, high 13 to 1, then HC and CO rises, but from 14 to 1 and higher, CO and HC start to fall, all the way to 16 to 1. At that point you start to encounter lean misfire (HC again begins to rise, but CO levels off or actually goes lower). But NOx after 14.7 to 1 starts to rise as the mixture gets lean. But when lean misfire is encountered, NOx begins to fall off as there is no combustion heat (not enough fuel because of an excessively lean misxture). But also since the engine is a giant air pump, there is plenty of O2, just not enough fuel. So O2 in a lean mixture also rises. My readings are as follows:
gases: HC CO NOx CO2 O2
stock: 133 0.07 102 14.4 0.9 ASM5015
stock: 82 0.06 131 14.2 1.3 ASM2525
Reds93: 65 0.17 582 14.8 0.2 ASM5015
Reds93: 43 0.09 286 14.9 0 ASM2525
With the rise in NOx and drop in O2, I suspected that the Reds prom went richer. But this is just speculation. Sorry for the length.

Sorry for the length.

Don't you dare apologize for the length! That kind of detailed technical discussion is what most of us are starved for (and those that aren't have the lounge :)). I'll try to look at a reds chip this weekend and verify what chip he based his off of. Do you have stock injectors on your car? By the way, thanks for the great link for the interrelationships between the 5 gases.

The stock chip test was performed with 33 lbs injectors (237 regulator; close enough to stock) and the Reds test was performed with the same injectors, plus a Poston 107 cam and 237 FPR. DP was stock, cat was aftermarket, exhaust is two mufflers with tailpipes to stock location and problems with the EGR passages (intake gasket I think). I have since tested the car with the current signal and it still passes.

I checked the few red's chips I have access to, and he seems to use the late86/all of 87 stock chip (axca) as his basis, so that is definitely richer than the recall chip (bbkj) that you saw was so lean. What's interesting is that I went definitely leaner than the bbkj chip, with bigger injectors to be sure, but still saw both the co and hc drop further.

Hey Carl hows it going can you make a emissions chip for 50's for my dads car he tryed to take his car through over the weekend and the HC's were like double. If you can give me a call (410)320-1135 or (410)255-0380-home. Thanks,
Jay McKinnon
:D