Parts needed to build a high performance transmission

Rob Lyons

About to replace my torque converter, and since the transmission is out I figured I’d have it looked over and upgraded. The engine in the car was rebuilt last year. The engine: gn1 stock rebuild kit (je pistons, 4340 crank, 20 over, etc.), champion ported irons and intake, main caps, rjc plate, precision 6262 turbo. Adding edge racing torque converter 2800 stall. I’ve had the car about 6 years now and the tranny has never been touched. It shifts great, most likely has a shift kit and a good one and doesn’t leak. Now that the tranny is out I figured I’d have my transmission guy go thru it and see what is in there for sure. Trying to do a 600 hp build. What parts would I need to upgrade in the transmission to support this type of horsepower?

Not to sound harsh, but the local guy will almost always fuck it up worse than if you'd left it stock. If you insist on having your guy build it, make him call one of the vendors and let them tell him exactly what to do and what not to do and buy the whole kit from that vendor. A good vendor will set you up with exactly what you need for the stated power level.

In addtion to what's stated ^^, would also rethink the converter for your goal.
A search will be more than eye opening.

I wouldn't let a "local " guy touch mine unless one of these brian,steve,dave,lonnie,Chris is your local guy

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I did this when I had my engine out and had to have it rebuilt again a couple months ago from Steve V. My trans was good but I wanted to clean it and beef it up some. Regretted every minute.

My suggestion is leave it alone if it shifts good and have it rebuilt by a shop that knows these trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first one I had done by the local guy was a disaster. Wouldn't even hold up to a stock 305. His suggestion was always more TV. He put in a SK kit & parts of that were wrong. So with the help of this place & a ATSG manual I rebuilt it myself.
Will it take 900hp? I doubt it but it's a great feeling when you can do it yourself & it actually works.

Thanks guys for all the input. I’ve been dealing with my guy for 20 years now. He built my first 2004r in my 88 Monte Carlo ss when I was 14. Did a great job. Also serviced my v. In my area I wouldn’t trust any other transmission shop.
Thanks 77 cruiser for that vendor I will be looking into them.
Ineedagn do have any vendors you would recommend or kits to buy from them.

If you want someone to sell you a kit talk to Dave Husek. If you want a builder he can do it, as well as myself and others.

I did this when I had my engine out and had to have it rebuilt again a couple months ago from Steve V. My trans was good but I wanted to clean it and beef it up some. Regretted every minute.

My suggestion is leave it alone if it shifts good and have it rebuilt by a shop that knows these trans.

Why the regret?

Why the regret?

Because the first trans builder jacked my trans up. Waste of money and unhappy with it for months.

Each and every day, we learn just how uniquely special this platform is, by the debacle of so called "x-perts".
Expert knowledge can be dated, when pushing the envelope.

There are some trade secrets that won't be posted on the internet, and I wouldn't let a local monkey breathe on my trans, let alone touch it. It all comes down to having a builder that does it for more than just the money.

Last edited:
Because the first trans builder jacked my trans up. Waste of money and unhappy with it for months.

I was confused. It sounded like you were unhappy with Steve V’s rebuild which I found odd.