Parting an '87 Regal Turbo Y56 + extras in CT

toddzilla

Ladies and gents, welcome to the longest ad you’ll ever see (maybe).

As the title states, I am parting out a 1987 Y56 car located in Connecticut at 06029. Lots more reading to do here than the average thread, but it’s all for the sake of transparency as well as answering questions before they pop up to save us both time.

I do take paypal, but I would prefer to keep the paypal aspect contained in PM’s so I don’t have two people randomly sending me money for the same part before we establish who’s getting what. Make sense? By all means, post your questions, comments, “dibs” and whatever else on this thread. I’ll PM you for the final details.

I have owned this TR since September 2005. There were zero mechanical/drivability issues with it other than a leaky slipping transmission and a stock converter that probably couldn’t keep up. In the spring of 2006, a deer took out the header panel, bezels, and driver’s fender.

The car was pulled off the road for repairs and a trans swap... and then I found the rust. I hadn’t really wanted a T-top car to begin with and now my impulsiveness came back to haunt me. The rust was all through the tub, top to bottom, firewall to trunk, from surface scale to fist-sized holes in the floor. After less than 1000 miles of driving, the car I’d bought to be a fun cruiser turned into a nightmare project. If I had the means and money, I would’ve done a body swap, but I was making $22k/year in the Army at the time and working by myself in a one-car garage (up hill, both ways).

During the repair and rebuild phase, I had some issues with a certain vendor’s “customer service” and several orders of sketchy parts (some you’ll see below). I initially overlooked it and rationalized it as bad luck or something else because “everybody” recommended this vendor. Well, he pulled a fast one on me soon enough and I had to eat a $2500 loss, which might as well have been $25,000 in those days. The Buick project was pretty much dead in the water at that point. I was out of patience, I was out of motivation, and I was out of money.

After the military, my line of work kept me separated from the car for extended periods of time, and other more fun, more rewarding, less stressful projects came along. Bottom line, the car has been sitting in a climate-controlled garage in CT since June of 2007. I collected some parts over the years here and there, and a couple months ago I started tinkering again. But I still don’t want a T-top car, and I’ve owned faster “better” cars since 2007. My standards for a “fun cruiser” have changed, and this thing is going to take at least $15k to get where I want it now. It’s time to go.

Let me be clear: I am more concerned with clearing out parts than haggling for top dollar. I have priced this stuff the way I have for that reason. I did my research. That being said, if you think I’m way off base for some reason, make me an offer.

So, now we know where we stand. Here’s the good news: I have a lot of parts that were bought and never actually made it onto the car. I also have a lot of parts that were put on the car after it was already parked in 2007, which means they are “used” but have exactly ZERO miles on them. This is all noted below on each part.

By and large, these listings are “what you see is what you get.” Each item is as complete or incomplete as the pictures show, and there are no additional parts included unless specifically stated.

I am a one-man operation here and I am still in the process of removing things, so please be patient. I have a digital scale and will gladly weigh parts upon request. I will do my best to get back to everybody ASAP and ship things ASAP.

TO MAKE THIS AS SIMPLE AND CLEAR AS POSSIBLE, THE PARTS ARE BROKEN DOWN BY “DEPARTMENT” AND THE CONDITION OF EACH IS CLEARLY LABELED ON THE PICTURES.

If the picture says NEW, that means the part is brand new, unused, unblemished, and has never been on or in the car. Sometimes I still have the original packaging, sometimes I don’t. If in doubt, assume I do not.

If the picture says ZERO, that means the part is new, but has been installed on or in the car since it was parked. These parts may have “installation” wear & tear, scratches, blemishes, etc. but zero actual miles of use.

If the picture says USED, this is an OEM part with approx. 80k miles on it unless otherwise noted.

Ready? Here we go...

BODY 1

COMPLETE FRONT BUMPER, includes everything pictured. ... $200

HC5xdtV.jpg

HpEhtgL.jpg

YlRpSOR.jpg

The bumper itself is in good “driver” shape: no dings, dents, chrome isn’t bubbling, etc.

kiRZuxf.jpg

The impact strip has seen better days and the bezels do have some minor bubbling. Directly below this listing is one for a brand new impact strip, if you’re interested

2Kmk5lZ.jpg

7YAanL7.jpg

cQWCdbW.jpg

Minor surface rust on the inside bottom edge, no scale, no bubbles.

6c4SI2O.jpg

7ghVfIO.jpg

xEBdV0N.jpg

FRONT BUMPER IMPACT STRIP, still in the shipping tube ... $115

b9Ij2uf.jpg.jpg

FRONT MARKER LIGHTS, no cracks, good color and clarity, one semi-broken tab ... $50

vjXLAHW.jpg

Pb9WTdf.jpg

VO85qN9.jpg

GM AIR DAMS ... $180

9vhLR7P.jpg

HcVJQLM.jpg

ZH4LPpO.jpg

Bw7dGmR.jpg

Last edited:
BODY 2

FRONT BUMPER FILLER PANELS, Kirban(?) fiberglass ... $80

IxjcLJg.jpg

PC7rYfR.jpg

GM HEADLIGHT BEZELS, rare/discontinued, but “used” so... $???

WhMlB9g.jpg

z95QY90.jpg

TrcpOHI.jpg

yNC3Pyb.jpg

162XtEe.jpg

RwbAxHY.jpg

(4) WAGNER SEALED BEAM HEADLIGHTS ... $20

2 x H4651 high beams and 2 x H4656 low beams, never even fired

une5p3r.jpg

TI0VLMy.jpg

7JYaJ7Q.jpg

KIRBAN H4 HEADLIGHT HARNESS ... $45

BeiupjE.jpg

qVz80yD.jpg

FAKE REPAINTED “NOS” GM “SATIN BLACK” CHROME CORNER LIGHTS ... $30 per pair

FcCfHfO.jpg

LWF2ctU.jpg

zjOynTM.jpg

X4UZMMo.jpg

idaefRj.jpg

One of the certain vendor’s orders - believe it or not, this is exactly how I received them: overspray, masking lines, poor coverage, etc. I was so naïve at the time, thinking “I must’ve just got a bad set” that I ordered another pair! What a fool. I was planning to refinish them with SEM trim black, but now you can DIY, for super cheap.

Last edited:
BODY 3

FIBERGLASS (FRP) HEADER PANEL #1, includes headlight buckets, adjustment screws, etc. as shown ... $75

It fits about how you’d expect. Good for a race car, not much else.

jyv57J7.jpg

65HMxtv.jpg

JVLoZe5.jpg

FIBERGLASS HEADER PANEL #2 ... $35

You can imagine how bad this thing is if I bought the FRP stinker to replace it. “Number 2” is right. Another “certain vendor” part. Unlike his conveniently sparse description, here’s the reality. There are no mounts of any type, anywhere, so I hope you’re crafty. It’s light, I’ll give it that much. Comes with grille brackets and poor instructions on how to mount the grille.

42sM6ai.jpg

HoY2QQQ.jpg

kqvQBGv.jpg

GM GRILLE + NEW EMBLEM + NEW SPRINGS ... $150

This was cracked by the deer impact. I’m holding the crack “open” in the picture - it’s a clean break and definitely repairable, no missing pieces. My total amateur fix with 2-part epoxy putty didn’t work because 2006 me didn’t know what the hell I was doing. This is a very simple fix now with J-B Weld Plastic Bond and some mesh drywall tape.

oJW4dWq.jpg

VYtRWjg.jpg

CBr5xWJ.jpg

iDoFWHb.jpg

HOOD... $100

The hood was like this when I bought the car. It looks too “rough” and localized to be hail damage, but who knows.

cEASSUD.jpg

948WPPP.jpg

Ky3t8NW.jpg

O1EqHy4.jpg

D32wagv.jpg

oHCkmur.jpg

All of the “seam sealer” joints are cracked like that picture. I don’t know if that’s a routine thing or not. The only appreciable rust on the hood is on that area of the center brace (pictured), and it’s minor.

HOOD EMBLEMS... $15 EACH

I’m honestly not sure if these are NOS or replica, but I bought them in 2006. I prefer the “contrast” look of the hood emblems, so the third was going on the trunk lid. One has that tiny bit of adhesive backing missing.

t82J5ZA.jpg

lUeuJsW.jpg

PASSENGER UPPER DOOR HINGE from OPGI ... $35

gI4lyp2.jpg

yyKLS5y.jpg

Last edited:
BODY 4

KIRBAN DOOR WEATHERSTRIPPING ... $75

Very soft, no rips or tears, only the driver’s door was “installed” (no adhesive), and the car never left the garage.

ubiZ4rr.jpg

aJ0zyxy.jpg

7J63jg2.jpg

LOCKING T-TOP PANELS (WITH KEY) ... $200 each OR $350 for the pair

Includes free worst limo tint job ever! I will clean this garbage off if you want me too.

VPJTNQr.jpg

v8llkEe.jpg

1WMm1XX.jpg

C89LlY6.jpg

GM T-TOP PANEL WEATHERSTRIPPING ... $75

The adhesive on the packaging has failed, so they’re partially “open” but they’ve been sitting in a cardboard box for 12 years. Manufactured in 2006.

Hq9Ts4D.jpg

7kLhrXu.jpg

wxAOiO2.jpg

NutUGzR.jpg

GM(?) T-TOP ROOF WEATHERSTRIPPING ... $50

This was never installed, but it was sitting out on the roof of the car for 2-3 years in the garage. Not sure if that matters to anybody or not.

mvzTtQL.jpg

Notice the “split” there, where the two “types” of rubber meet. I don’t know if that’s a defect, or a normal natural thing, or if it would matter at all either way due to where that part goes on the car. This happened on its own while I was moving it to take pictures. I don’t want to sell leaky junk, so if it’s junk, let me know.

0vp6lOm.jpg

REAR DECK FILL PANEL ... $50

RdO6ren.jpg

3pH28Xg.jpg

REAR FENDER CAPS ... $75 for the pair

wlcgBg9.jpg

dqJQvlZ.jpg

kjB6kKw.jpg

YWFM1uz.jpg

C7sU91F.jpg

Last edited:
Now all these "reserved" posts look ridiculous because I can't edit them. Wonderful.

Last edited:
BODY 5

TRUNK LID ... $200

ay7OEBP.jpg

6GAhzzy.jpg

z4ASGRb.jpg

K5mrqTc.jpg

UkudrEC.jpg

9Sya7ND.jpg

HlRrNs5.jpg

Zk1erkm.jpg

4cttlxP.jpg

The only rust was under the trim piece. Though there is some minor bubbling, the picture of the underside lip looks worse than it is in real life.

“STAY DOWN” LICENSE PLATE BRACKET ... $25

u95FL6s.jpg

jGcEE76.jpg

LICENSE PLATE MOUNTING PANEL ... $25

Includes the light socket and pigtail... part of the rubber “block off” plate is gone but it still mounts and works fine.

37AEeCd.jpg

WF3NhZH.jpg

REAR BUMPER ... $200

Same/similar condition as the front bumper. Surface rust where the two halves meet. I do have and will include the “spacer” plates if desired.

jpRXswG.jpg

3RfjeYn.jpg

FaEZNGy.jpg

3gfrytG.jpg

Srx0Rku.jpg

ZEmg2HF.jpg

Last edited:
BODY 6

TAIL LIGHTS WITH LED BULBS ... $200 for the pair

Driver quality overall, but good color and no cracks. Includes trim, pigtails, new (2018) LED bulbs installed in every socket, and the plastic retaining nuts from in the trunk (not pictured).

qRAFeIC.jpg

yIO6tuv.jpg

cVyzugH.jpg

KZGTHg0.jpg

0IHHjQD.jpg

v95LmMX.jpg

vPQi7TZ.jpg

y1iXpVC.jpg

OEM TURBO WHEELS W/ CENTER CAPS ... $250

I bought these to put on the car (came with Cragar Street Stars), but never put them on.

uUNaYTJ.jpg

ro83s91.jpg

Rx9fW1N.jpg

6rCkIZR.jpg

bko3Z4i.jpg

7mlYMt8.jpg

kzCFpIw.jpg

Ohsea2o.jpg

PVTtoKo.jpg

The wheels are in good shape overall, minor rash on two wheels.

NqODY6n.jpg

One also has this weird cracking issue where the center cap mounts. It doesn’t seem to affect the center cap’s “fit” at all, so I’m not sure what’s up or how this happened. I bought it this way.

EsccdI7.jpg

OTTBoQi.jpg

Last edited:
BODY 7

COMPLETE PASS. DOOR – INNER, OUTER, WINDOW, SIDE MIRROR, AND MOTOR ... $200

Minimal rust, nothing structural, window motor works. I haven’t removed this yet because I have nowhere to safely store it.

eN096lj.jpg

5EF31MT.jpg

RWtqQZr.jpg

jtYZPkd.jpg

EBi6q7p.jpg

COMPLETE DRIVER’S DOOR – INNER, OUTER, WINDOW, SIDE MIRROR, AND MOTOR ... $200

Minimal rust, nothing structural, window motor works. I haven’t removed this yet because I have nowhere to safely store it.

H25eBQF.jpg

EwZGwwR.jpg

BOMCn8z.jpg

Mv0tVjI.jpg

Last edited:
INTERIOR 1

The entire interior (minus the dash) was pulled during the rust rehab. In the intervening years, generations of mice chewed up, nested, urinated, defecated, lived, died, gave birth, etc. on and in the insulation of the interior panels that had been removed from the car and stored in a different building. Luckily the seats were kept elsewhere and did not suffer the same fate.

In May 2018, I began to systematically strip, clean, and refurbish all the interior panels (minus the dash) in order to repaint with the correct 1597 color tan paint using the full suite of SEM cleaning, degreasing, prep, and adhesion promotion products. I also cut and shaped some “Cool It” Thermoguard foam insulation to replace and improve on the OEM jute crap that barely covers the panels.

1plOwDe.jpg

I never finished this project, however, because the one item in the assembly line that didn’t work was the factory correct 1597 paint that I bought from - you guessed it - that certain vendor!! I honestly can’t remember a single time in my life, working on cars for 20+ years, that ANY spray paint or aerosol can gave me trouble, but somehow all three of the $16 cans of specialty paint from this guy did this:

uo2xFBu.jpg

This was the last straw, this stupid paint. He got me one last time! This is when I decided to part out the car.

While EVERY PANEL was stripped of any remaining insulation and adhesive, scrubbed clean with a mix of dish soap and white vinegar, rinsed, then cleaned again and degreased with SEM Solve, they still need paint, and they still need insulation, so I’m giving everything in these 2 pictures away FOR FREE. Any interior plastic not included in these pictures was not worth saving.

ASB6P0F.jpg

BATdsmn.jpg

All I ask is you pay for shipping (or come get them) and don’t just grab everything to hoard and sell later. I’m sure there are people who legitimately need some of these panels for their own projects. They are not pristine, but they are restorable, and they are free. The sail panels include the “opera lights” with a couple of new “warm white” LED bulbs installed.

FRONT & REAR SEATS ... $150

I don’t know how to price these. It appears to be a professional job and they’re in great shape, no stains, etc. but who cares if you don’t have a Dark Carmine over Tan car? They have a slight “sat in an old car for too long” smell, but no worse than any other old car I’ve ever been in. Shampoo or steam clean before install and they should be good as new. Anybody interested?

AD4PBdy.jpg

Bsk0Xdw.jpg

1VGclOb.jpg

ACC CARPET ... $75

Bought in 2014. Never used, never installed, no stains, no smells, sat in a box until this picture.

O0QSAuJ.jpg

DOOR PANEL JUTE INSULATION & MOISTURE BARRIER ... $25

Never even unrolled.

XrkUGGu.jpg

7dWopVD.jpg

INTERIOR 2

HEAD UNIT ... $50

This was purchased in 2006, never installed.

ovxgOKK.jpg

4oLBCPG.jpg

UgmoB7U.jpg

Tg5oDOn.jpg

dTi94zD.jpg

gPfZUlP.jpg

ANALOG CLUSTER ... $150?

I don’t know what a good price is for this. My car had a digital dash. I hated it. I bought this to swap before learning how different the chassis harnesses are. Whoops! Figured if I was doing that much work, I might as well build my own custom set-up instead.

ICZ8TvD.jpg

cYsljOX.jpg

CYUMzgZ.jpg

NxtsZAv.jpg

6oTEHBj.jpg

xap5UmR.jpg

RfkMttS.jpg

CnmKrWV.jpg

2Bex0aU.jpg

AxFffgT.jpg

2dT27Ik.jpg

59qc0nq.jpg

LOOSE EXTRAS 1

SCANMASTER 2.1 + TR CUSTOM PARTS SHADE HOOD ... $200

R6RkrYY.jpg

9jnQN6P.jpg

XwlK0Mt.jpg

AQnURhV.jpg

The shade hood has 2 blemishes (my fault) so small it’s hard to photograph them.

HItwRhm.jpg

AiiLWZD.jpg

AUTOMETER MECHANICAL SPEEDO ADAPTER ... $75

If you’re planning on running an aftermarket speedometer, you need one of these bad boys. It allows you to adapt the OEM cable speedo from the transmission to the one that fits the aftermarket speedo, while also sending the correct signal to the ECU. Comes with instructions.

eBS2Rod.jpg

loVmgJa.jpg

COMPLETE GM COOLANT RESERVOIR ... $45

bXPRV5J.jpg

GM WASHER RESERVOIR & CAP ... $40

lHtsJCH.jpg

KIRBAN(?) REAR SEAT BRACES ... $50

Installed, never used, then uninstalled. Hard not to scratch when you’re working solo. Includes hardware.

LjhhDPN.jpg

Ig4SQu2.jpg

5zJiqyN.jpg

POWERMASTER SWITCH ... $50

I thought this would fix my Powermaster woes, I was wrong. I didn’t have the special socket, so I chewed it up with pliers like a moron.

p3QqIVs.jpg

v3dVBep.jpg

ZihzHRK.jpg

YwBrhao.jpg

LOOSE EXTRAS 2

KIRBAN “GNX” CENTER CAPS WITH BUICK LOGO EMBLEMS ... $60

I don’t remember where I got the Buick emblems, but they are hard plastic - not a sticker, not paper. If they’re not your taste, you can pop them out from behind and put in one of the many other available options from Kirban and others.

ouvzEcv.jpg

XRd26Lf.jpg

LAh0TDb.jpg

KIRBAN BILLET BREATHER TUBES ... $25

S8wLCY4.jpg

jEGRL63.jpg

PRE-87 POWER STEERING CAP ... $15

Of course I bought the wrong one.

8GEvXA2.jpg

q4rTK82.jpg

STOCK VALVE COVERS, need a good blasting ... $25

YM6pHPW.jpg

FlQe4tB.jpg

MECHANICAL 1

Before I start separating the mechanical stuff, is anybody interested in the “complete” rolling package of engine/trans + driveshaft + rear + frame + suspension + brakes, etc.? Swap the tub and you’d more or less be in business. That was always my plan.

I have no idea how to price this as a package. If I was separating everything I’d probably ask $3000 for the complete engine from air filter to downpipe + ECU, $650 for the two transmissions, $700 for the complete rear drum to drum, $500 for the (rebuilt) Powermaster, $350 for the aluminum rad, and maybe $800 for “the rest” - frame, gas tank, tub w/ good glass. But separating is more work for me, so... let’s talk!

I can/will compression test the engine upon request.

Stock 109 block, stock rotating assembly (I’m assuming), stock heads, all with ~80k miles.

This stuff was on the car when I bought it, age/mileage unknown

OEM MAF
Hemco intake
Adjustable FPR
009 Injectors
ECU with 009 chip
mystery Garrett/Precision turbo, ported inlet, numbers shaved (any guesses?)
Terry Houston(?) 3.5” stainless downpipe
Stock intercooler w/ shroud
Stock headers and crossover

The following engine/bay components were put on after the car came off the road and have zero miles of use

"Big Mouth" cold air intake & 14" K&N
Refurbished and ported OEM throttle body
IAC angle block
Billet vacuum block & vacuum lines
PTE turbo saver
Accel Extreme 9000 wires
Accel coilpack
Accel plugs
Stainless up pipe
Gates green stripe hoses & stainless t-bolt clamps
TA Performance black wrinkle PC valve covers + K&N breathers
Hall manual boost controller