Pantera Hybrid?

Detomaso71

I have a good deal to get a Pantera roller without engine and trans with it is questionable. Still contemplating it. The transmission is by far the most expensive parts on them.
For those that dont know these are a 1970s Ford 351C and ZF transaxle and mid engine car.

I have a extra 87 GN drive train and am wondering how hard and expensive it would be to mate a T400 trans and 87GN engine with turbo to a Pantera
I would want to keep the pantera stock other than the engine, trans and fuel system with FAST all from Buick.

Its hard for me to visualize how to do it and what the costs would be. I have a 87GN and 71 Pantera now I can use to compare and measure as models.
I dont think anyone has done this yet and the Pantera hybrids I have seen all usually use the ZF transaxle but I would drag race it some so I ould prefer automatic. The trans on them is too expensive to race, can be 10 to 15K to repalce a trans, the 6 speed version is over 20K alone.

Thanks

car

My best Friend is a classic car dealer i remember driving around in a 70 pantera it had the 351C I remember the car well.we would flip to see who was going to have to drive it.While the cool factor is way up there in looks it was to much like work to drive the thing.Noise, felt like I was ridding on the ground everything rattled.If you have one you know what I mean.

Mine is upgraded and no rust show paint with PPC coilovers and all new suspension and is actually not that noisy and has AC etc. Has 17 inch custom Billet Pantera replica wheels. Will run circles around my Modified GN when not in a straight line, also out handles my cobra. Having the weight in center of the car makes a huge difference.
It is very fun to drive but if on interstate for more than 2 hours the drone as they are geared low on early models and the rpms are a little high at 80 plus mph. Older people or bad back persons have a really hard time getting in and out of it as they are so low but other than those two factors is like a newer style sportscar.
I have no idea what they were like back then though, mine is resto moded but I have the original drivetrain rebuilt and all original parts.
That car you speak of seems like it needed some work. I have never heard of any human dreading to drive one. I have the opposite problem with mine and the seats in mine are more comfortable than then 87 GN that is pretty nice :cool:

That would be awesome. Maybe look into a 4l60 instead of the 400. Paddle shifters for the 4l60 would be cool. Ronnie's friend Rodney at RPM trans has a setup for that trans I believe.

Just a couple of thoughts from an avid Pantera fan. I think the very best way to install a turbo buick motor in to the Pantera chassis would be to mate it to a c6 corvette trans axle your choice auto or 6 speed. I think with the shorter overall length of the buick motor the vette trans axle should work out very well. Using a th400 with a live axle requires a driveshaft (very short which CAN be a list of problems all on its own) and would run you out or avalible room for components. At least this is the way I have been looking at this in one of my fantasy builds! Good Luck with it, Jon Hanson

Kevin B,

Is the RPM transmissions same guy that owns the new Blue ZR1 I raced a couple of months ago? If so I heard his transmissions cost as much as an entire car?

Mine is upgraded and no rust show paint with PPC coilovers and all new suspension and is actually not that noisy and has AC etc. Has 17 inch custom Billet Pantera replica wheels. Will run circles around my Modified GN when not in a straight line, also out handles my cobra. Having the weight in center of the car makes a huge difference.
It is very fun to drive but if on interstate for more than 2 hours the drone as they are geared low on early models and the rpms are a little high at 80 plus mph. Older people or bad back persons have a really hard time getting in and out of it as they are so low but other than those two factors is like a newer style sportscar.
I have no idea what they were like back then though, mine is resto moded but I have the original drivetrain rebuilt and all original parts.
That car you speak of seems like it needed some work. I have never heard of any human dreading to drive one. I have the opposite problem with mine and the seats in mine are more comfortable than then 87 GN that is pretty nice :cool:

yes,I believe the car was probley road raced hard that why the suspension was so stiff hence all the rattles.And the reason for the flip was because who ever was driving had to fix it when they broke it. tech has come along way since they made them but they were way ahead of there time kind of like the gt 40. +1 on getting in and out. LOL that what happens when you start to age.

Kevin B,

Is the RPM transmissions same guy that owns the new Blue ZR1 I raced a couple of months ago? If so I heard his transmissions cost as much as an entire car?

I am sure that would have to do with what trans you buy from him and what you consider a "cost" of a car to be. Pretty general statement. I know guys who have bought cars for $50 before. If you are going to do this project I would call Rodney and discuss price with him.

Take care, Kip

Pantar

Just get a 400 at junk yard for caddy eldo front drive with stub axles.Back in the day I saw one with a 375hp 396 with caddy 400.Some machine work required!!

Clay, You could use a 325 4 L trans out of a 1985 RIV , it is the same thing inside as a 200 4R inside. There was a guy on here who held some FWD NHRA class records with a turbo RIV and he used a 325 4L.The motor would need to be moved rearward but would be even better weight biased. Excuse my thinking out loud, back under my GN to find more power for THS next year!
DDay

I agree with Jhanson. The most practical(ha!) way to pull this off would seem to be to adapt the 6er' to the ford/ZF transaxle.I'm sure a custom flywheel/bellhousing adapter can be put together.Luckily the 6 being shorter than the 351 will buy you some room for packaging. I can imagine one off headers,They would have to be 180 degree units with one(really twins because why not)lungs at the end of em' to look "right". Placement and required bracketry for the turbo(s),motor mounts,turbo and innercooler plumbing ,cooling,clutch linkage etc...etc... to be doable, but no easy or cheap venture,but the only acceptable avenue to investagate. A FWD transaxle shold not even be an option. Moreover,to hang a FWD transaxle out of ANYTHING in that car would be an act of unequalled gayness never before perputrated in the history of automobiledom! Trumped only by the 'vette' from ''CorvetteSummer" only because all that cars sins were all on the outside! not to mention you'd have to cut the back half of the car loose to do it. you then would be the proud owner of the worlds most expensive fiero ! Interesting idea, though, none the less. Do you have a chipper-shreadder available for you to shovel the money into? It would be awesome to see done right,and i think it is do-able,given you find the right person to take on a project of this magnatude. Did i mention its probbably gonna cost a buttload of money?

Yeah starting to sound less than easy. Made a low offer on the roller already. We will see what happens. If I get it maybe I will use a 5 speed but bringing up boost with all those shifts I think it would be slower than a performance auto.
Plus on hard launches I have heard they will stand on end so auto with a boost control would have been helpful.

if you do consider using a fwd transaxle zzp has run 8.6 @159 using a 4t65e-hd with many upgrades in thier fwd gtp with a stock block/rotating assembly 3800 with twin turbos on it - I believe it was +-900 hp

$4000-5000 will build an extremely stout 4t65e $3500 will build one to hold 500 ish hp

A Ricardo transaxle from a from a Ford GT is about $7500 from eBay and they can hold 1000rwhp+. I'm sure that is more than you want to spend.... but that would be an option too.