Turbo Buick parts 1986-'87 ($1234.00)

Vinnyou

Going to be getting my silver 86 repainted and was just wondering if there is a way that I can reuse the weatherstripping around the door? Also, if anybody has any tips over disassembling the car for paint that’d be great. Thanks in advance

I would imagine they should be reusable so long as you take them apart carefully (that goes for pretty much everything you take apart).

As for tips on disassembling the car, I guess more info is needed. Is this a respray the same color? Do the jambs and edges need to be done?? Lots of different ways it can go down. For instance, just a respray - you can leave the fenders and such on, but I'd take the front header panel out, front and rear fillers, etc etc. Basically anything that "bolts up" to something and doesn't have a "jamb" or gap needs to come off (this includes the glass, to do it right - but some painters can do a good job "roping" or masking the glasses and such. Again, just depends on how in-depth your painter is planning to go for your particular job.

Go to walmart (or other cheap store) and buy a box of ziploc sandwich bags to put everything that come off them.

Mark the bags with tape or marker.

I wouldn't plan on using anything original as it has a tendency to crumble as you remove it. Then anything you can reuse is just a bonus.

Thanks guys for the tips, I’ve been trying to be as organized as possible, forgot I posted this. Probably should’ve mentioned I’m getting the quarter panels replaced. I’ve taken the whole interior out. Windows are still in. All lights and trim is removed for the most part. Only trim I’m stuck on is the back of hood and drip rails. I’m leaving the weatherstripping, one because the cars outside, and two maybe the body shop might have their better ways of reusing it. If not, I’ll get aftermarket. Just kinda wary because I’ve heard they all suck.

The quarter windows NEED to come out. It always looks like shit when they are masked. They come out easy though if the interior is removed already. Also, the drip rails come off easy as well. Just pull up and toward you a bit and then twist them down and off.

The weatherstrip glue that the factory used must have been industrial strength. Never had any luck getting the originals off without tearing. Then hours of cleanup even using 3m adhesive removal.