Paint on GNX/GN

nash871233

Hi All

Getting new bumper fillers on my GNX. While talking with the gentleman at body shop who is doing the work, we got to talking about the paint used in 1987. Question, did the factory use clear coat back then. Also, I thought I read somewhere that there was an extra coat of clear applied to GNX?

No paint expert here but yes base coat /clear coat was used on our cars.

No it was single stage black lacquer. On your cowl tag it will say lacquer. No clear coat. If you do single stage go with PPG 9300. If you do base/clear use 9700. Those are the blackest blacks that match perfectly. If you do 9700 single stage it will be slightly brown. 9000 is the brownest black in either. 9300 in bc/cc is also slightly brown. This is straight from PPG and I’ve tried them all and it’s absolutely correct info. Some of the other colors used bc/cc then but black did not.

I was about to start a thread on GNX paint, so thanks for starting it.

Did Buick or ASC have a paint code for the vent louver on fender, I'm wanting to get mines repainted, but wanted to get close to original as possible ?

No it was single stage black lacquer. On your cowl tag it will say lacquer. No clear coat. If you do single stage go with PPG 9300. If you do base/clear use 9700. Those are the blackest blacks that match perfectly. If you do 9700 single stage it will be slightly brown. 9000 is the brownest black in either. 9300 in bc/cc is also slightly brown. This is straight from PPG and I’ve tried them all and it’s absolutely correct info. Some of the other colors used bc/cc then but black did not.
This is correct info here. I have PPG 9700 base /clear on my GN. It's the only way to go in my opinion, unless you are going for a stock restoration.