Paint job cost Rhode Island

mike_stahl2000

Hi, I have a 87 GN t-top car. No rot. Maybe a ding here and there. Has all outer trim and badging. It has been painted once before. It has signs of sealant pop on most of the upper part of the car like roof, deck lid, little on upper part of doors. They did not remove the quarter glass and did not jam. I only speculate that due to a small lip around those areas. What is the usual price if I strip the car down and have someone sand it down and repaint? I have no issues removing all interior and trim. I just put the spoolfool fillers on front and rear so don't have to worry about those falling apart during the process. I'm located in Rhode Island. Any one have any recommendations? Just want it don't right. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$8-25k. You will never get a $25000 paint job for $10000.

Yeah contact Mike.
I've been to his father's shop.
He does some great restoration work.
Of course the more items you remove and prep will make it cheaper.

I stripped my whole car down to nothing then brought it in.

D

$15,000? That's what I paid for the car! Lol

yes but think about it in hours. that's only about 2 weeks of labor for one person. think about all the sanding and priming steps. skim coat, guide coat all that stuff eats time like you wouldn't imagine.
Not mention that a black car has no forgiveness for any kind of imperfection.

At that rate, I'll have to get a piece at a time done. Lol. Bring a door one week, a fender the next, ect ect

I have joked about it before lots of time that my paint job cost more than the price of the car and people thought that I was crazy. My dad has a 69 Camaro and we took both of our cars to paiint and body shops at the same time and my estimate was always, always, always more and mine only had a small ding from something in the trunk. I settled more on a middle of the price range paint job because this will be my daily driver again but that paint job came out so nice that I had to question the painter on what his best looked like and how long it took. For some reason when people see black, cha-ching$$$$$$.

Of course the price can vary due to how many paint jobs it has, how well they were done. Stripping, minor body repair and painting including jambs here in north carolina runs about 6000.00. Id do the jambs because even if they look ok wont after .

$10k is not out of line, sadly. Both my cars have $$ paint jobs. They look great. And this was the cost with me dropping the cars off stripped with no body work to do. This stuff ain't cheap.

Yeah, I totally understand the process and I have no issue with doing the work like taking the car apart so there is less taping off stuff. I'd do the stripping too if I knew what I was doing. But best left to the guys that know what the hell they are doing. I got a decent quote so far. Now it's just getting up the money. Still a lot to save up. But in due time.

Have probably about 12k into mine, delivered to painter in totally bare metal. Lot of work getting all the factory imperfections out so each panel is nice and straight. All depends how nice a job you want done.

In VA 5k and up. A word of caution on those stripping to bare metal. Do not leave in bare metal very long as shortly after you paint it you will get very small spots that are rust. I went through this with a local shop and I said it was solvent pop, took them the car and they said rust. I said tops of fendars don't rust. So we stuck it with a pin and it flexed so yeah its rust. Car still looks great but it is what it is. I stripped it myself and they sanded and osfoed it before epoxy primer and it still happened. If I don't show you where it is, it's hard to see. When you wash one of these black cars you find everytihing-lol. This car cost me $5k in 09 and I stripped it and took it all apart myself.

Damn, where do you guys live?? One of my clients owns a paint shop, does the paint for show cars leaving them lookin like glass... $4-6K I guess so many people do paint jobs here in So-Cal for a living that they don't have a choice but to drop prices to stay competitive.

It all depends, what exactly is being done for $4-6k??? Good materials (start to finish)alone are gonna run well over $1500 nowadays, not to mention odds and ends stuff, figure another $1500+..

Damn guys, 10-15k for a paint job is not bad at all. Just think what a wife will cost!!!

The first owner of my 87T did some mighty poor touch up on many places. Also, there are a few places where the dark blue paint is cracking. Other than a strip and re-paint, can something be done to correct this? Most of the paint is in good shape, not show but good enough.