Paint guys step on in

(The paint companies dont recommend using filler over it anymore either, that is an old 1990s) Toyota still requires this before filler is applied on their cars per ICAR standards.
I-car says filler is usually applied over bare metal. It can be applied over epoxy, but follow the filler manufacturer's instrustions. This is an old technique that some still use. I started doing bodywork in 1996, and I was never taught this. My car looks just as good as it did when I restored it in 2006. I am i-car platinum and am a role rep for a high end shop in NE OH.

I started doing bodywork in 1996, and I was never taught this. My car looks just as good as it did when I restored it in 2006. I am i-car platinum and am a role rep for a high end shop in NE OH.

So Keep bugging you with my stupid questions!!!!!!

Thank you four your input

I-car says filler is usually applied over bare metal. It can be applied over epoxy, but follow the filler manufacturer's instrustions. This is an old technique that some still use. I started doing bodywork in 1996, and I was never taught this. My car looks just as good as it did when I restored it in 2006. I am i-car platinum and am a role rep for a high end shop in NE OH.
Have you taken the Toyota Icar class yet then? They require epoxy first and do not allow self etch anywhere on the car. I was platinum but they changed things up and I no longer kept it.

I understand what the car manufacturer wants, but you are not using Toyota brand filler or paint. The filler and paint manufacturers know how their products work and how they want them used. I follow their recommendations. There are a lot of stupid things the car manufacturers want done for warranty.

Couple more questions. Sorry for all of the newbe stuff.

Looking at eastwood and reading the spec sheets for their products. With the Urethane primer it states that the top coat needs to be sprayed in 18 hours or it needs to sanded. Could I just use a scotchbrite pad to scuff it or does it need to be sand paper?

I am asking because I am thinking about renting a paint booth at a shop for the day but dont think It will happen 18 hours after I put it in primer.

What is a beginner paint gun that will not brake the bank? Would you recommend 2 guns or spend more on just one?

http://www.eastwood.com/devilbiss-auto-paint-and-priming-system.html

Funny that you should ask about paint guns. I just bought a brand new iwata 400. I dont think that it is a beginners gun but it is an excellent gun. In the auto resto /paint industry you will get a similar answer as most guys have bounced around several auto body shops. Everyone tends to have their favorite filler/ epoxy, gun, and paint brand preference. It really boils down to what you learned or are more familiar with. Some like Dupont over PPG, you have a few painters out there with disaster stories trying to use a more expensive House of Color. I am taking an auto resto class at a local college and have seen great results with SPI, PPG, Dupont and lots others but when you ask instructors what their favorite anything is you will get 50 answers from 50 different people. This school only has iwata guns and PPG is the paint preference with discounts.