Overheating at light

Holdenbr

This summer I noticed my 87 GN water temp would go up 20-30 degrees at a stop light with the AC on. Would continue to climb if allowed to. I haven't let it set long enough to see if it tops out. Once it hits 220-230 I make sure I get moving.
Installed new single fan but still gets hot fast when stopped.
Fluids are good and no leaks. New thermostat.
Is this common?

Thats way to hot. Better start looking into your cooling system. May need new radiator, dual fans or both. Also depends on where you live? I used to see my temps go up a little while sitting at a light on a 85 or 90 degree day but never up to 220 or 230. I bought new radiator and dual fans from alrad ( vender here) solved all my tempeture issues. Some of the other guys on here have other things they do to help keep their engines cool,perhaps they will also give you some advice. Thanks Gene.

Stock radiator? Over the years I had my rad rodded out 2x with success. The last time it helped but not much at all. I installed the F body radiator. Works great.

As mentioned, check the rad for clogging..
Also, the math on the temps says that you are already running at/close to 200*, before the stoplite. Way too high, [assuming a 160-180 stat].
Does the hi speed fan control work?
Does it even come on when the ac is turned on?

Sounds like it's time for some new parts. Depending on how old the parts are on there now and what condition you may need some or all of these. It can't fix itself and it's not going to get better in time, so might as well fit them into your budget. The f-body radiator is the cheapest way to go and a lot of turbo regal guys run them. Do a search and make your own decision.
Radiator
water pump
heater core
cooling fan
relays
hoses
clamps

Just feel the hoses coming out of radiator when at running temp . If there's a difference replace it.

Just a recore and 50/50 antifreeze got me from 220 with a/c on to 195 a/c on in June on a 90 degree day. Stock fan and 180 stat. That is how I passed emissions too.

With engine warmed up, cut car off. Feel over the rad, hi and low, left to right. Easiest way to tell if rad is not functioning correctly.

Why not add a fan switch, all it takes it grounding the signal wire, I like hide the switch in the center glove box, the system still works normally but you have control when ever you want fan.

When I lived in AZ & even here in Hawaii. I had stock Radiator, no thermostat (summer months in AZ, --- Hawaii no T-stat year round) and ran RMI-25. Never overheated in stop & go traffic.