Over boosting

blacknight80

What could be the culprit of uncontrollable boost? I have what appears to be a stock (made into and adjustable) dual port waste gate actuator, boost reference off the turbo going to the drivers side port. Rcj boost regulator backed all the way out and the waste has no tension on it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Turbo size and boost?

Remove the WG rod completely off the arm and leave it off. Ease into throttle in third and see what the boost is at. This will be the lowest boost the car will run in this condition. Post back.

Ya and it gets there fast. Not sure if the big dp is the root. I never had it running good enough to put the boots to it before I did the injectors, cai, 3 DP, maf T and chip and alky so I don't have a really solid baseline but it was running around 12-15

It's been raining non stop so I haven't had a chance to take it for a drive. I used my air compressor to test the actuator and it moves freely. I built my own dp using the rjc flange and puck and it does have a longer stud on the puck that create a bit of an awkward angle for the actuator rod. This doesn't seem to mess with its movement though.

It's been raining non stop so I haven't had a chance to take it for a drive. I used my air compressor to test the actuator and it moves freely. I built my own dp using the rjc flange and puck and it does have a longer stud on the puck that create a bit of an awkward angle for the actuator rod. This doesn't seem to mess with its movement though.

do you have a scan tool? you need one. send some numbers tps,iac,rpm knock,boost etc. john

This is at idle after a nice run to the city and back. Around 70. I think I can log with this too but not sure how yet.
miles.
f50f213398a03892e39afbea5e32b3f1.jpg

Last edited:
You can also run the boost line direct to the side port and leave the top port open and see what that does.

I pulled the actuator and it won't build boost so I guess it flows enough to bypass all boost. I'm going to try and unscrew the rjc unit some more and see what happens. Hooked back up it's around 20 lbs now. I'm wondering if its binding due to the taller stem on the waste gate arm.

I i have the rjc regulator backed right out and i am around 15-18 lbs. im fighting with kr now too. never ends.

I would not run anythjng past 15psi without alky or good 100+ octane gas . Unless you really feel like doing head gaskets. I'm would be shocked if you don't already have a gasket issue with your over boosting issues

Its got alky but only 91 octane. I definitely don't want to be doing head gaskets. As soon as I see it spike I lift. I am not purposefully boosting that high I really want to get it to a more manageable number so I can drive this thing the way it was intended rather then pussy footing.

I lenghtened the wg rod some more. Now there is no tension on the flap but it seemed to help. I'm going to back it off another half turn to see if it helps.

Gave it another rotation and now I have no KR....i can't believe how stupid I am sometimes. I read that the acuator should have to be pulled an 1/8th out to make sure the puck is sealed tight and i was getting caught up on that. Spool is slower and I'm guessing that is why but being able to spur this old mule is worth it.

I removed the rjc controller and it now spikes to 15 and settles at 10 so that was some of my problem. I'm going to remove the actuator again and see if I get any spikes without it hooked up.

I removed the rjc controller and it now spikes to 15 and settles at 10 so that was some of my problem. I'm going to remove the actuator again and see if I get any spikes without it hooked up.

you need to have a bit of tension on the WG rod