Over boosting, pretty sure i need a new waste gate

ssgtgoodwrench

So i have been trying to figure out a over boosting problem i have. I tried 2 manual boost controllers turned all the way down and still boosting as high as 15-17. I then ran a line from the compressor right to the waste gate and pretty much the same thing. If i floor it, ill reach 15 psi. What do you guys think? I'm pretty sure the waste gate is no good.

Attachments

• 20171028_144625.jpg
    20171028_144625.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 156
Okay have you taken the Boost controller off completely to see what the spring pressure is ? If you understand how Boost is controlled you would know that it is controlled by allowing the exhaust to bypass the turbine wheel now you can have your wastegate completely open and have the location of the bypass hole in a shity spot like where it’s at in the stock location. .i would see where u are at with the wastegate disconnect. Every turbo I’ve ever had I’ve had to go in and port the wastegate hole so the exsaust can bypass the turbine easier .

Attachments

• 8CD3C6E6-BE40-46D1-844E-984D0235DF83.jpeg
    8CD3C6E6-BE40-46D1-844E-984D0235DF83.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 112
  • 67D6E3BC-E389-48E6-B2F3-F8CF7AA0DF8E.jpeg
    67D6E3BC-E389-48E6-B2F3-F8CF7AA0DF8E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
  • 31E46ABE-8E6D-4588-9F42-8D04793021CA.jpeg
    31E46ABE-8E6D-4588-9F42-8D04793021CA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
  • DF5C59A9-2F9B-4A3C-94C6-AC22E0CADF80.jpeg
    DF5C59A9-2F9B-4A3C-94C6-AC22E0CADF80.jpeg
    574.6 KB · Views: 103
You are on the wrong port. Run the boost line directly to the other port and leave the one you are on now open.
See where that gets you.

So i have been trying to figure out a over boosting problem i have. I tried 2 manual boost controllers turned all the way down and still boosting as high as 15-17. I then ran a line from the compressor right to the waste gate and pretty much the same thing. If i floor it, ill reach 15 psi. What do you guys think? I'm pretty sure the waste gate is no good.
You dont show any mods on your car what are you wanting to do? I personally use the Tial after market wastegate in the uppipe and love it. john

Dark GN, i definitely agree with what your saying but unhooking the line would only give me what the spring is set at. Hooking the line directly from the compressor to the turbo will give me the minimum amount of boost i can run. There is no way from the factory that the minimum amount of boost is 15lbs.

TurboBuRick, I'll give that a shot, I would think that would force the waste gate closed because boost would be holding the diagram back but at this point i'll give it a shot.

HotairGNX548 My mods are nothing crazy just Cold air intake, LS1 Maf, Maf Translater, Headers, Custom Downpipe, Test Pipe, 3 inch cat back, 86 ECU, TT chip. Right now i have a false knock issue at about 9-10 psi. I have been chasing this thing for ever and its driving me crazy. I even put 100 octane race gas and its still saying its knocking at 9 psi. Anyways i wanted to turn down the boost right under the false knock. Ever since i bought my GN it has been over boosting, The guy who had it before me most of done something. She has always been in the 12-15 psi range. I know that's not safe for my desert climate(i'm in Vegas) and only having 91 octane at the pumps.

Does anyone know where they sell either factory or adjustable waste gates for hot air cars.

Just make the factory one adjustable..

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

The hose is on the correct port.
Unhook the WG arm from the flapper and make sure the flapper moves freely. Leave it unhooked and see how much boost it builds. Report back.

The hose is on the correct port.
Unhook the WG arm from the flapper and make sure the flapper moves freely. Leave it unhooked and see how much boost it builds. Report back.

Son of a beyotch you are right! My bad. I was looking at it wrong. I don't see a lot of hot air cars but none the less, I should have seen it. Glad you caught that.

Well F%*#, so the waste gate can only open 45 degrees. Decided to go for a test drive, at part throttle i cant really build any boost but once i floor it i can get to 14psi no problem with the waste gate unhooked and open as far as it'll go. Found my over boosting problem. The custom down pipe wont let the waste gate open far enough. Thanks for the help guys.

Son of a beyotch you are right! My bad. I was looking at it wrong. I don't see a lot of hot air cars but none the less, I should have seen it. Glad you caught that.
No worries Rick. It takes a community to get these cars to run sometimes.

Well F%*#, so the waste gate can only open 45 degrees. Decided to go for a test drive, at part throttle i cant really build any boost but once i floor it i can get to 14psi no problem with the waste gate unhooked and open as far as it'll go. Found my over boosting problem. The custom down pipe wont let the waste gate open far enough. Thanks for the help guys.
Glad you found it.