Our front brake calipers...

Turbo6Smackdown

I see the style is called "D154", but then I keep seeing these calipers being called "metrics" as well. If I can remember, our slide pins are a standard or sae thread aren't they? Was there a metric version of our calipers at one point, because these metrics that I'm seeing on the internet look identical. Do these "metrics" fit our cars?

D154 calipers are the same as "metric" calipers. The 1978 g-body (technically a-body) was the first frame to use metric measurements and fasteners (though not all the fasteners to build the car where metric) to design and built the car. The racers that built oval track race cars gave the chassis its nickname of a "metric chassis". Since the D154 calipers where also a new design for 1978 "g-bodies" and they came on the metric chassis, they where also called "metric calipers". Bottom line is that they are all the same.

These calipers where used on 1978-1988 "G-bodies", 1982-1992 F-bodies, and 1982-2003 S10 trucks and SUVs.

These calipers came in normal (NON low drag) calipers and LOW drag calipers.
*1978-1981 normal (NON low drag) calipers. G-bodies (technically A-bodies) ONLY. These cars came from the factory with a 24mm bore master cylinder for power brake equipped cars and a 7/8" bore master cylinder for manual brake equipped cars.
*1982-1997 LOW drag calipers. G-bodies, F-bodies, S10s. Requires a step bore master cylinder for the calipers to clamp the rotor.
*1998-2003. normal (NON low drag) calipers. These S10s came from the factory with a 1.0" bore master cylinder.

Any remanufactured calipers that you will buy at the store will have the same part number for any vehicle using this caliper from 1978-2003.

The only new stock replacement, normal (NON low drag), cast iron replacement caliper is AFCO 2.5" stock replacement calipers
Part number 663-5003 and 663-5004. These are the best stock replacement calipers, in my opinion.

There are aftermarket big bore (up to 2.75" diameter piston) cast iron calipers and aftermarket twin piston aluminum bolt in calipers.

Last edited:
D154 calipers are the same as "metric" calipers. The 1978 g-body (technically a-body) was the first frame to use metric measurements and fasteners (though not all the fasteners to build the car where metric) to design and built the car. The racers that built oval track race cars gave the chassis its nickname of a "metric chassis". Since the D154 calipers where also a new design for 1978 "g-bodies" and they came on the metric chassis, they where also called "metric calipers". Bottom line is that they are all the same.

These calipers where used on 1978-1988 "G-bodies", 1982-1992 F-bodies, and 1982-2003 S10 trucks and SUVs.

These calipers came in normal (NON low drag) calipers and LOW drag calipers.
*1978-1981 normal (NON low drag) calipers. G-bodies (technically A-bodies) ONLY. These cars came from the factory with a 24mm bore master cylinder for power brake equipped cars and a 7/8" bore master cylinder for manual brake equipped cars.
*1982-1997 LOW drag calipers. G-bodies, F-bodies, S10s. Requires a step bore master cylinder for the calipers to clamp the rotor.
*1998-2003. normal (NON low drag) calipers. These S10s came from the factory with a 1.0" bore master cylinder.

Any remanufactured calipers that you will buy at the store will have the same part number for any vehicle using this caliper from 1978-2003.

The only new stock replacement, normal (NON low drag), cast iron replacement caliper is AFCO 2.5" stock replacement calipers
Part number 663-5003 and 663-5004. These are the best stock replacement calipers, in my opinion.

There are aftermarket big bore (up to 2.75" diameter piston) cast iron calipers and aftermarket twin piston aluminum bolt in calipers.

WOW, GREAT answer. And yea it was afco calipers I was looking at lol. Though, what was the exact differences between a normal caliper and a low drag caliper? And why would a low drag caliper be the best choice in your opinion? And what would be the biggest piston option I could get away with that would be a direct, drop in fit, with my stock powermaster master cylinder? I'm hoping to land an iron caliper with a stainless piston and o rings in the calipers to prevent all that rattling that the race calipers suffer from.

Externally the casting is the same between a NON low drag (normal) caliper and a LOW drag caliper.

A LOW drag caliper is not the best choice because you have to use a step bore master cylinder. The AFCO calipers advertise with low drag seals, but they are standard, normal seals and they are NOT low drag calipers.

The difference is the shape of the o-ring that seals caliper piston. The o-ring surface is square on a normal, NON low drag caliper and only allows that caliper piston to retract only a very small amount, but the o-ring on a LOW drag caliper is beveled. This beveled surface lets the piston retract twice as much as the NON low drag caliper. Its not a big difference in retraction, but enough that it requires extra volume of fluid from the master cylinder. If you didn't have a step bore master cylinder, no pressure could build in the front calipers and your pedal would go to the floor.

New cars built today use normal, NON low drag calipers. I believe GM stopped making low drag calipers at the end of 1997 for S10 trucks.

If you are using a boosted brake system, the best caliper, in my opinion, is the Wilwood 2.75" diameter piston calipers. These are really nice calipers. If your PM is not giving you issues, you should be good to bolt these calipers up and go. They are cast iron, but they are a little lighter than stock. The larger diameter piston will supply more clamping force with the 1.0" bore master cylinder of the PM system.

If you are using manual brakes, the NEW AFCO calipers with 2.5" diameter are the best, in my opinion. It will supply the right amount of pedal stroke, pedal feel, and clamping force needed.

hey dave , i'm having trouble holding my car back with the line lock applied. I have a 1980 malibu with the d154 two piston willwood calipers with a factory master cylinder. Do you think it is possibe to move my brake pedal pivot point up to achieve a better brake ratio. I think I have the hole in my brake pedal for a manual set up. Do you see any harm in doing this?

hey dave , i'm having trouble holding my car back with the line lock applied. I have a 1980 malibu with the d154 two piston willwood calipers with a factory master cylinder. Do you think it is possibe to move my brake pedal pivot point up to achieve a better brake ratio. I think I have the hole in my brake pedal for a manual set up. Do you see any harm in doing this?

Tim,

Are you running a manual brake setup or a power boosted setup?

The Wilwood twin piston calipers have a piston area of 4.12 square inches. A stock 2.5" diameter piston caliper has a piston area of 4.9 square inches. Piston area is important because that translates into rotor torque or clamping force of the caliper. Usually, the larger the piston area the better, but it needs to be matched to the correct size master cylinder. You have three issues working against you.

1. smaller piston area calipers (less clamping force)
2. larger master cylinder piston bore (less line pressure)
3. pedal rato is low. (move effort by the driver's leg to stop the car)

The factory, power boosted master cylinder has a bore size of 24mm. From 1978 to 1981, these are normal, strait bore master cylinders. These master cylinders came in cast iron and aluminum. Since you have a 1980 Malibu, you may have an aluminum one. Larger bore master cylinder deliver more volume of brake fluid, but they will create less line pressure. Manual brake equipped "g-bodies" came from the factory with a 7/8" bore master cylinders. Smaller bore master cylinder create more line pressure (potentially more clamping force) with less volume. The best combination is a caliper with the largest piston area and the smallest master cylinder possible to supply to amount of fluid volume to fill the caliper. This creates the greatest amount of clamping force at the rotor.

From the factory, the master cylinder was moved up on the firewall and used a pin that was higher up on the pedal for manual brakes. Moving the pin up on the pedal will give a better pedal ratio. This means the driver will have more leverage to operate the brakes and the driver does not have to use more leg strength to stop the car.

Moving the master cylinder up on the firewall and raising the pivot point of the push rod deeps the push rod geometry in check. Moving the pin up on the pedal and moving the pivot point of the push rod up on the pedal WITHOUT moving the master cylinder up creates two things.

1. Side loading of the master cylinder piston
2. Incorrect geometry.

Side loading of the master cylinder piston will prematurely wear out the seals and the master will start leaking and loose pressure.

Incorrect geometry is a little harder to explain. Think of the brake pedal assembly as a swing set. As you swing on a swing, the seat you sit in on the swing goes through an arc. As you swing, you go up high, come back down toward the ground, and then go back high again. Your brake pedal pad and push rod pin do the same thing, but they start out in the high position. As the brake pedal is pressed, the pedal pad and push rod pin arc down. At half pedal stroke, your at the bottom of the arc and if you keep pressing the brake pedal fully, the pedal pad and push rod pin will start to arc back up.

On a g-body manual brake set up with a stock 6 to 1 pedal ratio means that if the brake pedal pad moves 6 inches, the push rod pin moves 1 inch. On the g-body pedal assembly, the pushrod start out being aligned with the master cylinder piston. As the brake pedal is pushed, the push rod will have a very little upward angle of the push rod at mid pedal stroke (3 inches of brake pedal pad movement, half inch of push rod pin movement). If you press the brake pedal down all the way (6 inches of brake pedal pad movement, 1 inch of push rod pin movement), the push rod will come back into alignment with the master cylinder piston. The brake pedal push rod pin has moved one inch, but also the master cylinder piston has moved one inch. This is how its suppose to work.

If you move the pin up on the pedal without moving the master cylinder up, the push rod will be at a severe downward angle. At the mid point of the pedal stroke (3" of brake pedal pad movement/) the pin is at the bottom of its arc and the push rod is still at a less severe angle. Past the mid point of the pedal stroke (3 to 6 inches of brake pedal pad movement) as the pin will start to move up on its arc, pulling the pushrod up and away from the master cylinder piston. . So past the mid point of the pedal stroke, the pushrod is NOT moving the master cylinder piston at the same ratio that the pedal pad is moving. Bottom line is, besides the side loading of the master cylinder piston, the master cylinder piston will not move the one inch needed to operate the brakes effectively. Past the half way point, the harder you press the pedal will not translate in moving the master cylinder much further on its piston stroke.

Clear as mud. :) I hope I explained it pretty good. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Last edited:
Do you have a site?

I do, but I will get in trouble posting it because I am not an approved vendor. If you search the internet and type in g-body manual brakes, you will get the website. It's the website with manual brakes in the domain name. Manual brake conversions is what I specialize in.

Outstanding information !! I thought i knew a little info on this subject, as i have done everything discussed here at one time or another, on S10 and Gbody, but the clarity Dave has provided is unmatched. I'll be saving this iinformation. Thanks for taking the time to write this!

Excellent concise info there! This should be a sticky.

If you are using a boosted brake system, the best caliper, in my opinion, is the Wilwood 2.75" diameter piston calipers. These are really nice calipers. If your PM is not giving you issues, you should be good to bolt these calipers up and go. They are cast iron, but they are a little lighter than stock. The larger diameter piston will supply more clamping force with the 1.0" bore master cylinder of the PM system.

Are you refering to the caliper: Wilwood Caliper No: 120-8924?

Thanks for the response dave. But first, I do have power brakes. And I got a good deal on the wilwood calipers from someone who got out of G-bodies. The reason I figured the dual piston wilwood calipers would be O.K. is they are very close to the size of the Blazer calipers that are a popular g-body swap. And some of the early vette calipers that swap into g-bodies are 1.625 also. But I do see your reasoning. And my braking is No BETTER and No WORSE than when i had factory calipers. I had trouble holding the car back during burn out. I do have a cam with a good bit of overlap and lack vacuum for the brakes. I even hooked up an auxillary vacuum pump ,which didn't change what I needed.
I think the master cylinder is going to be next. I assume it's original since it's aluminum. I have been following your post for quite a while. All the way back when you were experiencing with calipers on an El Camino before you had put together any kits for sale. So I know you have been through every possible scenario.
As far as changing the pivot point. I was just going to use the manual brake pivot point, which would give more leverage I assume. But didnt take into consideration any differences in master cylinder locations that are present without the booster. Anyway, do you think I can benefit from rebuilding my master cylinder or do you have a master that will better suit my setup? and give me additional pressure? Thanks for your time!!!!! Tim

You specialize in manual brake conversions?? You mean converting FROM manual brakes?
NEGATIVE- He means converting TO manual brakes, eliminating the vacuum booster, cleaning up the firewall, and creating extra room under the hood, all while achieving better brake pedal "feel' , and more clamping force, than your factory setup.

Better? Why did the manual brakes become obsolete then?...... And cleaning up the firewall? Becaussse you need more room? For what? And making more room under the hood? Why? You desire to store more stuff there?

Better? Why did the manual brakes become obsolete then?...... And cleaning up the firewall? Becaussse you need more room? For what? And making more room under the hood? Why? You desire to store more stuff there?

High horsepower engines do not create vacuum to run the vacuum booster causing very poor braking.

People convert to manual brakes because:
1. Engine doesn't create enough vacuum for the vacuum booster to work
2. It reduces weight of vehicle
3. It is cheaper alternative to other forms of power boosting your brakes (ie hydroboost)
4. Cleans up the engine bay.

I guess some guys just don't get it... or take the time to read / understand. I don't want to be an ass, but take the time to read the posts in their entirety. I'll just make this (1) statement... Have you ever seen a "true" race car with a booster hanging off the firewall?? Manual brakes are not obsolete. Have you seen any high- end street rods with smooth firewalls... the don't have 12" boosters hanging off the firewall. Have a nice weekend Turbo brother!

Thanks for the response dave. But first, I do have power brakes. And I got a good deal on the wilwood calipers from someone who got out of G-bodies. The reason I figured the dual piston wilwood calipers would be O.K. is they are very close to the size of the Blazer calipers that are a popular g-body swap. And some of the early vette calipers that swap into g-bodies are 1.625 also. But I do see your reasoning. And my braking is No BETTER and No WORSE than when i had factory calipers. I had trouble holding the car back during burn out. I do have a cam with a good bit of overlap and lack vacuum for the brakes. I even hooked up an auxillary vacuum pump ,which didn't change what I needed.
I think the master cylinder is going to be next. I assume it's original since it's aluminum. I have been following your post for quite a while. All the way back when you were experiencing with calipers on an El Camino before you had put together any kits for sale. So I know you have been through every possible scenario.
As far as changing the pivot point. I was just going to use the manual brake pivot point, which would give more leverage I assume. But didnt take into consideration any differences in master cylinder locations that are present without the booster. Anyway, do you think I can benefit from rebuilding my master cylinder or do you have a master that will better suit my setup? and give me additional pressure? Thanks for your time!!!!! Tim

If your running vacuum boosted brakes, it will be really hard to get around a fix for that if your engine doesn't make any vacuum. If you move your vacuum push rod up, you most likely will run into damaging the booster. The rod will most likely not be able to angle up that far.

Because your calipers have a smaller piston area, you can step down in bore size of your master cylinder from the 24mm to the 7/8" bore. This will help, but the new 7/8" bore master cylinders are about $70 and the rebuilt ones may be unreliable. All stock g-body 7/8" bore master cylinders are cast iron. The rebuilt ones are fairly cheap at around $25 bucks at Rockauto.com, so you may be able to roll the dice. DO NOT buy dealer closeout master cylinders from rockauto.com. You are asking for headaches.

Other things to do is change out your old rubber brake lines to new rubber lines or stainless steel flexible lines. Old lines will balloon with age reducing braking performance.

Look at different front brake pads that give a better cold bite. Semi metallic and ceramic pads require some heat to start working effectively. You want a pad that works well cold. 100% organics have these properties (Oreillys has them), but they will dust more and will not last as long. I am looking at running Wagner Thermoquiet pads to try soon. I just haven't had the time to test them, yet. The Wagner Thermoquiet shoes that I have on the back of my El Camino work very well.

After contacting them, these aftermarket brake pad manufacturers recommend these pads:
EBC recommends the Greenstuff pads
Porterfield recommends the R4-S pads
Hawk recommends the Street/Race pads

Lastly, if you are running the stock booster, you might try doing the larger dual diaphram B-body booster conversion. I am not familiar with this conversion, but it should help out even if your booster is getting some vacuum.