OT - Air Conditioner - Alternative Refrigerant - HFC152a

Keep an eye on Big Lots if there's one in your area.

They had a 20% off day a week or so ago, valid on your entire purchase.

They had 12oz cans of R134A for $8 ea, so $6.40 ea with the coupon. They only had 15 cans left, i got them all. I plan t start collecting cans of R134A since they are banning it in the near future (Or so I hear?)

They also had the HC152A office duster - 3x 10oz cans (1 TR system refill) for $10, or $8 after the coupon. I only grabbed two 3-packs, I should have gotten more.

Good Idea, forgot about Big Lots, they are in this area. ( Could kick myself , had brite idea to buy all the R12 I could before it was banned) Yes its not nice to fool with Mother Nature, but REAL drivers handle materials safely and smart. If your system needs a recharge weekly, FIND that leak!!!

IllhaveaV6

Good Idea, forgot about Big Lots, they are in this area. ( Could kick myself , had brite idea to buy all the R12 I could before it was banned) Yes its not nice to fool with Mother Nature, but REAL drivers handle materials safely and smart. If your system needs a recharge weekly, FIND that leak!!!

IllhaveaV6

Ever find it ironic that R12 became bad for the ozone right around the same time DuPonts patent expired?

Ever find it ironic that R12 became bad for the ozone right around the same time DuPonts patent expired?

What you missed is that DuPont's scientists were the ones that discovered that little fact, but didn't bother to disclose that R-12 is heavier than air.:rolleyes:

I assume the new freon is coming for the same reason. R12 is still very popular, just not in the US. CharlieF prolly gets his from Juarez!

Anymore feedback on how the HC152A duster is working,any problems,failures etc.

The charge I put in the wife's 96 Integra is still working fine after a year or so.

My 87T is another story - seems the freon ate up the seals in the new accumulator. I need to replace it and try it again.

Not sure what the issue is...

As for my Park Avenue and Rusty Century - the Park Avenue I have driven quite a bit. The A/C has been working well, except for the electronic climate control headunit being flakey. I have put about 1000 miles on the PA and while the A/C has worked well, the transmission needs a rebuild now. During the transmission problem, I kept the RPM's too high for too long while driving home in second gear. The compressor clutch failed. But I changed the clutch without removing the refrigerant and the compressor and refrigerant are still working fine.

The Century I haven't driven because I have been too busy with other projects to finish the work it needs. I crank it up every now and then and it still has cold air. It hasn't been driven on the road, though, since the A/C charge.

I have charged a friends car (an 85 Chevy) with HFC152A and it works well. He drove it home from Alabama to Michigan without issue.

Sorry to give such a quick and terse update but I'm at work overseas and very busy!