Oscilloscopes - What to look for?

Dean

I have absolutely no experience with oscilloscopes, but want to, so I'm in the market. I can go old CRT or new handheld, no preference, but that is because... what the heck do I know? :) Cruising eBay there are loads of them. Several on Craigslist, too, mostly Tektronix of various models, many #465/465B. A Silicon Valley thing??

So, what do I look for, spec wise, in an oscilloscope for working on our cars, including higher end audio? What are the pitfalls to watch for,? What minimum MHz, channels, storage, sample rate, sensitivity, etc.? What of all this really matters?

TIA!

Find a Fluke 98. The best one I have ever used. The dont make them anymore but they do service them.
Tektronix is real good.My Tech2 was made by them

I have a old snap-on Vantage scope from a GM dealership I'd like to sell, the thing looks brand new (because no one ever used it). I dont need it because I have another Vantage, only bought it because it had a Kv Module. PM me if you want it, Would like to get $275 for it shipped!

chopped39, I like that Fluke 98, with the dual channel scope. One thing I found with hand-held units (so far) is they are single channel. DailyDrifter, I would like an actual oscilloscope with higher sampling rates to use it on lots of stuff. What, I don't know yet, but sometimes, once I get started... :) Looks like it is gone anyhow. Congrats! The bump worked!!

Found a couple "as new" Flukes, a 98 and a 98-II in Holland. $1k+, though. :)

Maybe a laptop based unit?
Got to be careful on getting an "oldie"...Some don't play well with automotive applications.
My bud uses a $300 laptop unit on the cars we work on.................

Tektronics 465's and 475's are very good scopes. They are dual trace 100mhz-200mhz. They have very good trigger circuits and you can get them pretty cheap.

I was lucky enough to snag a Tektronix 453A over 25 years ago for cheap, and it's still going strong!

I use a Tektronix 2246 that I bought off ebay when my Philips expired.