orifice tube direction

MRP78

Which way is the orifice tube supposed to go in the evaporator inlet tube? Is the long end supposed to point toward the drivers side or toward the passenger side? I've been reading various a/c write ups online and I'm confused now as to how the refrigerant flows in this system and how everything is supposed to be oriented. The orifice tube has an arrow molded on the small end that points toward the small end and away from the long end. The one I took out came out of the evaporator inlet small end first with the large end pointing toward the driver side and covered with debris. Is this the right way? Is there a flow chart anywhere specific for this system so I can better understand?

The long end goes in first, the office tube has "Stops" built onto it that will not allow it to go in too far. A flow chart should be available via Google I would think, hope this helps.

The only way I can get the orifice tube to go in is with the short end toward the driver's side and the long end toward the passenger side. The short end is pointing into the evaporator and the long end is toward the condenser. The direction of flow would be from the condenser into the evaporator then out the top and back to the compressor.

I would think that the arrow indicates direction of flow.

Of course the refrigerant line has a fitting near the location where the orifice tube will be installed. Do you have the orifice tube installed on the correct side of the fitting?

Most refrigerant lines have an expanded section where the orifice tube resides. That expanded section can be a clue.

Stick with it, eventually you will figure it out.

Maybe a picture will help. I colored the arrow on the old orifice tube. This is the way I have the new one installed with the arrow pointing toward the evaporator and the long end toward the condenser. It is installed in the portion of the tube coming out of the evaporator. The tube with the crimps on it. Is this correct or is it supposed to go the other way?

image.jpg

Anyone? I need to get this back together and working, but I need to confirm how it is supposed to go before I charge it up. I found the image below online and that appears to be how I have it installed see pic above (short end in 1st), but I keep reading conflicting info (long end 1st??). Which way is correct? Image below seems to indicate the short end going in 1st???
orifice tube install.jpg

The way you are holding it is correct. It should push into the tube until the end is just a bit concealed by the tube. It will hit a stop once it is in all the way.

If it will not slide into the evaporator tube, you probably have the wrong orifice tube.

The long end is the filter. Refrigerant flows from the condenser to the evaporator. The filter catches any debris before it can plug the orifice.

You are installing it correctly. You should also install it with some PAG oil also.