Tool tray for atop Radiator support.

RED LS1

Looking for some Ideas. I had a battery go bad so I replaced it. The new one drained stone dead in 2 days of sitting. I charged it and then pulled the negative cable and with a test light between the Neg cable and Neg battery term I have power. I started pulling fuses and the cig lighter/clock is the culprit. Is there any ways to find out where or what could be causing the short in that circuit? Anything that's known to be common with that? Thanks

Looking for some Ideas. I had a battery go bad so I replaced it. The new one drained stone dead in 2 days of sitting. I charged it and then pulled the negative cable and with a test light between the Neg cable and Neg battery term I have power. I started pulling fuses and the cig lighter/clock is the culprit. Is there any ways to find out where or what could be causing the short in that circuit? Anything that's known to be common with that? Thanks
Could be radio.

I pulled the cig lighter out and still had the short. It could very well be the socket idk.

Make sure the cig lighter isn’t shorting. The tabs were touching the housing in mine causing the fuse to blow if I hit a bump. Bent the tabs towards the center of the housing and it was all good.

That wire is hot all the time (cig lighter and clock), I think everything that is powered with the key off is on the circuit. I have a similar problem, been too lazy to work on it. I'll post back if I discover anything, please do the same. It is time to get a wiring diagram out.

The radio fuse is in right now and there is no short. The short only occurs when I put the Cig lighter/clock fuse in.
Look at the internals of the socket, As cig lighter engages its possibly pressing + and - together and shorting and/or the element in lighter is shorted

Recharge battery and check car in the dark. The cig/clock fuse feeds trunk light, under hood light, glovebox light and footwell lights that might not be noticed as staying on during daytime.

2F6C984B-F060-49E5-ABE9-A7762F1BE145.jpeg
2F6C984B-F060-49E5-ABE9-A7762F1BE145.jpeg

It's most likely the cig lighter socket. As said above, the tabs on the back of the socket can sometimes short out on metal behind the socket. Check that first.

If you don't smoke, that spot is the perfect place to put a USB charger, and pretty easily accomplished. Mighty handy in these days of "My (insert your device) just went dead!" :cool:

If all else fails, new lighter sockets are cheap and readily available in the "Help" section at most any auto parts store.

That would be my first stop on this train.

Last edited:
Was thinking OP had a current draw on battery after 2 days other then an actual short circuit that would have blown fuse.

the correct ciggy lighter housing are hard to find ..to swap with original wires ...mods will most likely be needed ...not a big deal ..but stock housing is a thing for junk yard or scappers of tr parts ....

Sooooo easily accomplished......... with some patience and 3 minutes with a Dremel.

Like the 5th owner of one of these cars doesn't already have a ton "mods" already performed on the car......

OP, is your car bone stock? if so, look for OEM parts.

If not, it's pissin' in the isles, bro.

1592527210051.png

Last edited:
Was thinking OP had a current draw on battery after 2 days other then an actual short circuit that would have blown fuse.

My thoughts exactly. A dome light left on is dead overnight. Lasting 2 days would suggest less than a 1/4 the draw.

Is your alternator original or is it from AutoZone, if so have it tested at a shop that can test for bad diode's. That would be the 1st I'd check if you have a current drainage, unless you know you've might of hooked up a aftermarket stereo or amps in your car. After you try that keep us informed if that was your problem. Good Luck

The short only occurs when I put the Cig lighter/clock fuse in.
Are you saying the test lite comes on, when you do this? {I think it was mentioned that this circuit is hot all the time.}
If so, that's why the test lite lites up. Not necessarily a short.
Being that's a fused circuit, a dead short would pop the fuse. Check the amp draw, and see what you get.
A milliamp draw is normal, as the "hot all the time", circuits are running.