Opinions Wanted. New(ish) Ride being considered

corsair231

Hey guys,
My current daily is an '05 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP. Great car but it is getting a little long in the tooth so I'm considering an upgrade. Nothing new and of course something dependable but still unique and interesting enough that I wouldn't feel out of place pulling into a local cruise and popping the hood. There are two cars near by that have caught my eye and I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience or opinions concerning either one.

First is a 2012 Cadillac CTS-V coupe. You know the basics. Supercharged 6.2, auto, all the bells and whistles. Overall in good shape but a few minor things, mostly cosmetic stuff, and higher miles, around 120k.

Second is a 2013 Dodge Challenger SRT-8. Unique thing about this is it is a Hennessey HPE 600 car. Supercharged 6.4, 6-spd manual, and loaded for a Challenger. Looks to be in excellent shape with only 42k miles.

Prices are comparable with the Caddy being a little cheaper but in the same ballpark. Both should be a blast on the street. Planning on looking at both this weekend so I thought I would poll the audience before I pull the trigger. So, pros, cons, stories, one over the other or neither, anything guys?

Thanks

Pronto

You can't knock them up with spit.
I'm done with manuals so my vote is the CTS-v. If I were go to with a Caddy, I would go 4dr. That coupe is hard to see out of. Better sleeper look and can carry the family.

corsair231

I understand what you mean and it's been a while since I've put up with a manual on a daily basis but I grew up with them and I sorta miss rowing my own sometimes. As far as coupe vs sedan, that's part of the driving forces in this change. With having to carry family no longer an issue, I am wanting something a little more sporty. A little less under the radar as it were. I'm just not sure if I want to go retro muscle (Challenger) and grow a mullet with my gold chains and aviator sunglasses or preppy performance (Caddy) so I can pop my collar and feather my hair with my wrap around Oakleys. :cool:

I know, I know..... mid-life crisis much?

In the words of John Wick, "Yeah, I think I'm back." :p ;)

Buckshot G/N

I'm leaning towards the V. Actually I had the opportunity to test drive one in 2012, a couple of years b4 GM only offered the V in a coupe instead of a sedan. Of course very powerful and the handling was superb. You want have to worry about being out of place cruising around the Sonic . Lot more passenger room versus the SRT and more comfortable seat, being the Ricardo's. But has mention speaking for myself and my age I've shifted enough gears in my 66 years. Automatic would sell me considering how those 120K miles were achieved.??

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
My son has a GXP Grand Prix and it is a real nice ride. I'm not a fwd kinda guy so it isn't on my list but those Cadillacs are cool from a distance. I think the coupe, while the two door would generally be my preference, is butt ugly. Again, just my preference. I've been watching the GTO, G8, and Chevy SS cars as our next unit but they have kinda stalled at $25-30K for a reasonable mile car. Whatever I buy, it will be an auto as wife will drive it and I row a ten spd at work everyday.
The Mopar stuff looks cool and has the hp draw but it is a mopar. Just not something I would own, but they look cool. One of my friends has a 392 super bee charger and he likes it.
Bottom line is the LS is pretty bullet proof and with the 6 spd auto it becomes real bullet proof.

TurboTGuy

Gray Beard Member
I like them both.

My coworker drove a CTS V with a rare manual trans option for a couple years , ran and looked real good. He traded it in on a ATS V with all the bells and whistles. That car hauls the groceries, let me tell you!

Turbo Lou had a Hellcat that was impressive, no doubt. Set me back in the seat real hard. Now He's got a Demon.

That said , with the nearly 80K difference in mileage and not much of a price difference, I'd go with the Dodge. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Mark T-TB

car crazy from birth
(my $0.02 worth, and maybe not even worth that?)
My "practical side" always interferes in these thoughts.... your GP lasted you until 15-years old. Does anything like that seem likely starting at 120K miles? ... of course a "modified" Dodge might make some people cringe as well?
If long-term is a factor in your process - and a lot depends on your intended usage - I think that "I" would keep looking. Of course, some consider me my own worst enemy :unsure: :rolleyes:
Good luck choosing or finding something that suits you

regan j

Everything depends upon your money situation, Caddys and Dodges are expensive. If that does not bother you, enjoy.

V6sleeper

Well if you look at it from a resale point in 3-5 years as a "daily" the caddy is going to be way up there in miles by then, so trying to dump it off at some point is going to be much harder then the SRT to get rid of, if all being equal in miles id personally opt for the Ctsv, but truth be told the market is way bigger for the Mopars they sell like hot cakes i had a SRT jeep few years back i had people fighting in my driveway when it was for sale.

corsair231

Thanks guys, this is all stuff to think about. After driving both and working best deal numbers the Caddy is coming in about 5k less than the SRT8. Which I think is a heck of a deal. I do have to admit that the Challenger seemed stronger down low but that is probably because of the manual. The Caddy seems more tame which may be the traction control holding it back a little. The Caddy felt a little smaller and maybe a little more nimble where the SRT felt larger but definitely more bad boy than the Caddy. I really don't drive that much anymore so the higher miles is not that big of a deal with the V. It would probably take me at least 6-7 years to hit the 200k mark with it so I don't know that resale will much matter about it since it has already taken the hit for higher miles. The SRT on the other hand is still low enough that many miles may get it from the low miles status to the just a used car range. If you know what I mean. Plus, I tend to keep my cars so resale is not something I normally consider much.

As far as looks, yeah, both are relatively sleepers when it comes to what's under the hood. Neither screams almost 600 hp. The Caddy coupe is a little out there but that at least makes it stand out some. Even though the SRT8 is just as exclusive as the V, if you don't know what it is, it looks just like all the rest of the Challengers running around everywhere. Just this weekend, I lost count of how many Challengers I saw where I only saw 1 Caddy that was not a SUV.

My son has a GXP Grand Prix and it is a real nice ride. I've been watching the GTO, G8, and Chevy SS cars as our next unit but they have kinda stalled at $25-30K for a reasonable mile car.
Bottom line is the LS is pretty bullet proof and with the 6 spd auto it becomes real bullet proof.

your GP lasted you until 15-years old. Does anything like that seem likely starting at 120K miles? ... of course a "modified" Dodge might make some people cringe as well?
If long-term is a factor in your process - and a lot depends on your intended usage - I think that "I" would keep looking. Of course, some consider me my own worst enemy :unsure: :rolleyes:
Good luck choosing or finding something that suits you

Yeah, I like my GXP but it is wrong wheel drive. I've only had it about 5 years and I bought it with a salvage title then with around 165K on the clock. It was salvage due to a deer strike and the cost of the unique nose piece exceeding the value of the car. It was all cosmetic damage which I was able to repair. It is just about to hit 205k now and is pretty much valueless due to the title but it is still a good car. I'm just ready for a change. I would have loved to find a G8 GXP but you are right that the price is still too high for them and GTOs both plus being over 10 years old they are out of range for the bank to lend on them. I try and try but I just can't bring myself to like the SS. It is just too plain looking even with Holden badges.
Since it is just me now, I got thinking it would be nice to be back in a two door and wah-la, here I am in my current quest. I know the LS is bulletproof and I have heard some horror stories about 6.4 Hemis not liking boost but Hennessey has been putting this package out for a long time so it can't be that bad, can it? I know that sometimes I am my own worst enemy too and the way my luck works, by the time I decide they both may be gone. I guess if that is the case then I really didn't need either in the first place. Doesn't mean I don't want them both though, Lol.

deezdad

Thanks guys, this is all stuff to think about. After driving both and working best deal numbers the Caddy is coming in about 5k less than the SRT8. Which I think is a heck of a deal. I do have to admit that the Challenger seemed stronger down low but that is probably because of the manual. The Caddy seems more tame which may be the traction control holding it back a little. The Caddy felt a little smaller and maybe a little more nimble where the SRT felt larger but definitely more bad boy than the Caddy. I really don't drive that much anymore so the higher miles is not that big of a deal with the V. It would probably take me at least 6-7 years to hit the 200k mark with it so I don't know that resale will much matter about it since it has already taken the hit for higher miles. The SRT on the other hand is still low enough that many miles may get it from the low miles status to the just a used car range. If you know what I mean. Plus, I tend to keep my cars so resale is not something I normally consider much.

As far as looks, yeah, both are relatively sleepers when it comes to what's under the hood. Neither screams almost 600 hp. The Caddy coupe is a little out there but that at least makes it stand out some. Even though the SRT8 is just as exclusive as the V, if you don't know what it is, it looks just like all the rest of the Challengers running around everywhere. Just this weekend, I lost count of how many Challengers I saw where I only saw 1 Caddy that was not a SUV.

Yeah, I like my GXP but it is wrong wheel drive. I've only had it about 5 years and I bought it with a salvage title then with around 165K on the clock. It was salvage due to a deer strike and the cost of the unique nose piece exceeding the value of the car. It was all cosmetic damage which I was able to repair. It is just about to hit 205k now and is pretty much valueless due to the title but it is still a good car. I'm just ready for a change. I would have loved to find a G8 GXP but you are right that the price is still too high for them and GTOs both plus being over 10 years old they are out of range for the bank to lend on them. I try and try but I just can't bring myself to like the SS. It is just too plain looking even with Holden badges.
Since it is just me now, I got thinking it would be nice to be back in a two door and wah-la, here I am in my current quest. I know the LS is bulletproof and I have heard some horror stories about 6.4 Hemis not liking boost but Hennessey has been putting this package out for a long time so it can't be that bad, can it? I know that sometimes I am my own worst enemy too and the way my luck works, by the time I decide they both may be gone. I guess if that is the case then I really didn't need either in the first place. Doesn't mean I don't want them both though, Lol.
Corsair if considering financing look into Lightstream, awesome to deal with all you have to do is tell them how much you want, for how long & what it's being used for & bam you have a low interest deposit into your bank account allowing you to dangle the cash carrot for a better deal, they don't even want their name on the title. Can make extra payments at anytime and each time you do they recalculate the numbers and offer you a lower payment for the duration. Best by far in my opinion.

corsair231

Thanks. Seems like I have heard of them but I was basically able to do the same thing through my credit union. Got a loan approved up to what I would need for the Challenger but is basically a blank check that I can use at any auto dealer for any car,

deezdad

Thanks. Seems like I have heard of them but I was basically able to do the same thing through my credit union. Got a loan approved up to what I would need for the Challenger but is basically a blank check that I can use at any auto dealer for any car,
Ok was referring to what you said about banks not lending on 10 year old cars..
Lightstream gave me auto finance rate in the form of a pers loan.. that's good your credit union did the same. I've been with my cu for 26 years, same employer 26 years have decent enough credit etc & in the past when I've inquired on a pers loan with them theyve fallen out of their chair so much for loyalty eff em

T-type Jones

If you liked the GXP, how about the 2008-2010 G6 GXP. Has the same engine in the Cadillac CTS / 3.6 - 6 speed trans. This is my daily driver with the 6 sp automatic, when I punch it in drive, it will chirp the big 18" tires in third gear. Or if you wanna spend a little more cash my 2nd choice would be the Cadillac ATS-V...Same engine but with Twin Turbos, any way Here's my daily driver

Attachments

• 20200929_173701.jpg
    20200929_173701.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 8

corsair231

We looked at a G6 GXP when my son was looking for a car. They are pretty nice but for me they are going away from what I am wanting. I am wanting that big cube v-8, rwd, coupe feel. ;)

Mark T-TB

car crazy from birth
We looked at a G6 GXP when my son was looking for a car. They are pretty nice but for me they are going away from what I am wanting. I am wanting that big cube v-8, rwd, coupe feel. ;)

Yeah - and that sound too!
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V-8 engine's a good start for me" :cool:
(from a song by the band "Cracker")

corsair231

Still haven't decided folks. The logical, adult side of me knows the Caddy is the best choice but the adolescent, raise a little hell side of me wants the Challenger. After driving them both the V felt good and comfortable. Felt like I belonged in it sort of like my favorite blue jeans, knowing I could wear them all the time and never really be out of place except in the ritziest event. The SRT, on the other hand made me a little nervous. It gave me a little bit of that feeling that I used to get when I was a teenager and a pretty girl would walk by. You know, feelings that could easily embarrass you in polite company if you didn't hide them. LOL.

I tried flipping a coin but it keeps standing up on it's edge. o_O

Mark T-TB

car crazy from birth
fwiw - I've always said that if it makes a lot of noise and goes fast - I probably like it :rolleyes: )

It doesn't seem like you are asking for suggestions... but shouldn't you be able to find a variety/selections of Gen 5 or 6 Camaro SS examples around? There would be your bullet-proof LS motor, coupe, great sounds, and plenty of after-market "hop-up goodies available, etc - all in a package that is smaller/lighter than the Challenger (altho I'd be plenty happy with a run-of-the-mill SRT or Scat-pack in my garage). The 4th Gen F-bodies seem dirt cheap at this point, not sure about finding a nice one that would suit your need?
Good luck!!