opinions on what mid to late 2000 car to buy

jetmech

Ok im in the market for a different car. Must be a 4 door. 2 kids 9 and 6. doing some research shows the Chevy impalas have a history of transmission problems and also the honda accords ( have 2 co workers that both have blown around 100k. I drive 92 miles round trip. I dont mind fixing a door lock or window motor etc. but dont want a 3k bill on a tranny, just trying to lower my odds. let me know what you guys know and like. Thanks

Toyota Camry? And I'm pretty sure the 2008 Accords had all the issues....2010 or later Accords seem to be fine.

I always advise my family and friends to either go Honda or Toyota...simply can't beat their reliability vs. domestic cars.

I would get a lower mileage 97-04 regal gs, buick park Ave ultra or grand prix gtp. They have a supercharged v6 with 245 hp and go ok. Look around lots of them have 200,000 or more miles. Bison have a na park Ave with about 400,000 miles no joke !!!! I bought my park Ave ultra with 102,000 for $2500.

The only common problem with these are the intake gaskets which isn't life altering and who knows maybe it's already been done already.

Like I said just get a lower mileage one 80,000-130,000 and it will live for many years to come

Just picked up an 04 gtp, nice and comfortable, 170k on it but you wouldn't believe it...Mike

I like the GXP's but I think my 2009 Toyota Avalon XLS is wonderful. V6 (270hp) Heated leather seats, sunroof and lots of room. Car is very very smooth. I am happy with it. I average 21-22mpg in city and rides better than a Buick.lol

Brand new they were 35k+tax Now you can get them for 17k if you look. Thats a lot of car for the money compared to by a new pos Camry or Accord that are 24k+

Joe

If your looking at POS Toyota's and Honda's check out the Optima Turbo and the Sonata Turbo, both have 10 yr/100K mile warranty's.

Whats your budget? I wouldn't be scared of an Impala. There are so many of them, parts got to be cheap and the cars are too.

i have an 03 impala with a weird shifting trans and looking on the net shows its a common prob. with these cars. My dad has an 06 impala ss and his trans went out 3 grand. I dont mind working on the cars but i drive 100 miles round trip and just dont feal like changing transmissions etc. dont mind little things like interior stuff or maf etc. I just drove an 08 camry with 85k on it. drove nice just didnt like the smokers interior. I also liked the 08 Malibu with a 4 cyl. research didnt show any major mechanical issues on these either. Thanks I will keep all your ideas in my mind. Budget is around 8 grand.

Too bad to drive too many miles to lease. $202 Sign and drive for a 2015 Honda Civic here. In 3 years that's under 8k.
You won't have to worry about breakdowns, road side assistance, oil changes and inspections for 3 years. And its new...

Joe

As James said the 3800 series II cars don't typically go bad. I've bought and sold several lesabres and park avenues over the years. The cars are dated but seem to last and last. Updated the transmission for the first time in my daily driver at 383000. Never did anything to the engine except update the plenum and replaced the intake, oil pan and valve cover gaskets. I routinely see these cars with under 100k for $1500-$2500. I've seen a few recently with under 50k for $3000-4000. A lot of car for the price and no worries about depreciation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2.2l ecotec engines are stout 4cyl engines. I had an 04 cavalier with ecotec 2.2 that made it to 230k before timing chain took out the motor. Now I dd a 07 cobalt with ecotec 2.2l. I got 36mpg out of my 04 and 32 out of my 07 both 5 spd. 75 miles round trip for me 5 days a week. The cavalier had NO issues in the course of 5years I run it except replaced timing chain at 140k. everything else was untouched from the factory including clutch.

The gtp I scored for $500, as of right now I have $700 total, including what it needed. Shit $30 of it is just supercharger oil...Mike

I could have bought a sc buick regal for $900. Thing was mint but had ignition issues. I kick myself for not buying that car.

I have a 2003 impala that now has 175k on the original 3.4 and tranny. It gets over 30 mpg on the highway. Has plenty of power. Roomy, quiet and the parts are Cheap!
The only problem with all the GM cars on that platform are the crappy brakes. The front rotors like to warp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I had an 02 Kampala and put 233k on it. Held up ok. I researched the 08 Malibu,s and not many people liked them. Thought it was more gmail carp.

Lol fast86gn must be a current or retired GM employee or have family that works there. I am a former dealership mechanic of 17yrs that had imports and domestics at our place. I've worked on both of them. Imports are my choice of car for a reason. ;)