Opinions on EZPass...

gn85

You've gotta try this!
After sitting at the bay bridge for ten mins (thank god I had AC going) and watching 5 Vipers blow by in the EZ pass lane I decided that I gotta get one (EZPass, not Viper :))

I would be using it occasionally for going thru the Harbor Tunnel, Bay Bridge, Del. Bridge and NJ TPKE. I don't drive these roads regularly but when I do, it's annoying to stop wait and pay.

--What experience does everyone else have with EZPass??

--Any hidden charges or anything I need to be aware of??

--Any problems with billing errors??

Thanks for the input.

I have EZ Pass and so far no problems. But I've heard of horror stories.

I was on NY Thruway and I was used to 15mph speed thru the toll booth. NY has 5 mph and I went thru a little fast and I was sent a warning.

Another good thing. I have my truck under a Class 1 status (regular car rate). When I hook up my trailer to tow my GN, EZ Pass doesn't pick up the trailer and get charged regular car rate.:D

EZ Pass started to access around $1 maintence fee.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@AOL.COM

The Vipers you saw were heading to the Crab Deck for their annual club meeting on the Kent Narrows.
The EZ Pass is a heck of a deal, saves a bunch on tolls and time as well. I cross the Bay Bridge everyday, head for the left lane EARLY! The only problem is that if it doesnt work (you wont get the green light) you have to call them or they will bill you for the full freight.

I had EZPass before it was even around here. NY state started it up and I got one from there. I have one in my 2 cars and the daily driver. I love it! The best is blowing past those long lines to get in the EZPass lane. I laff everytime at the people sitting in those long lines at the tolls! :D The only problem I had was they said I went thru a toll with my car without using the EZPass and I did use it. You need to watch the display on the other side of the toll to make sure it says "Paid EZPass" because those gates will open if you have an EZPass or not. They just send you a fine in the mail to avoid backing up the toll booths. After I got that worked out not one problem since. The smile on your face as you blow past everyone in those lines will be well worth getting one! :cool:

I read about being fined for your transmitter being misread. It sounds like that does happen occasionally.

Does this happen more often with the internal (windshield) transmitter or is it with both transmitters? I will have several cars on an individual account. I looked up the list of cars that should not use internal transmitters and it looks like Buick can use an internal, but I may just use an external anyways. Any thoughts on this??

I am not a 'frequent' user, so I probably won't elect for the discount plan... although I may later if I find myself using it more then I thought. But the idea of not waiting in the lines because people don't know how to count $2.50 is pretty appealing to me. :)

My internal transmitter's lithium battery went dead. I started getting messages that stated "EZ Pass not paid". I expexted to get notices in the mail for the violations. After 2 months of using the transmitter with a dead battery, I finally called EZ-Pass and reported the problem.

The tech on the phone stated it's my choice if I want a new transmitter. I asked why. He stated that as long as the plate is registered on an EZ Pass account, you don't need a transmitter. Everytime I was going through without paymnet, there were pictures taken of my license plate. And when the they looked my plate up, I had active account. The tech also stated that the batteries last arounf 5 years. I was sent a new transmitter.

As a side note, I spray painted my transmitter from white to black. I just taped up the label and painted it semi gloss black. Now the transmitter matches my truck and GN. Everyone that sees it, loves it, you can't see the transmitter in the windshield.

Up here in NJ, there is high speed EZ Pass at few locations. Basically it is set up in the left lane and you maintain a speed of 55mph while you go through a special reader.

Got to remember that EZ Pass is a privately owned company.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Love the western roads.....!

Originally posted by EightSecV6
.... The EZ Pass is a heck of a deal, saves a bunch on tolls ...........

What are "tolls", anything like "trolls"?:D :D :D

Good deal painting it black! I might try that! Another thing EZpass did was send me all new transponders about a year ago. I had them for almost 5 years and they just sent me new ones with a envlope to send the old ones back. They said it was just to make sure they keep working. I have 5 so maybe that's why? But yea.. they would just get you off your plate.

There is this little exit a .25 cent toll off the AC expressway. One lane EZPass and one you toss a quarter in the basket. It's a unattended toll exit. This being said.. so far I've tested EZpass up to 85mph and it still picks it up! :p I love using that off ramp! :) One of these days I'll find out how fast it will work up to! The problem is stopping for the light once your off the ramp! :eek: :D

Originally posted by phillyturbosix

This being said.. so far I've tested EZpass up to 85mph and it still picks it up! :p I love using that off ramp! :) One of these days I'll find out how fast it will work up to! The problem is stopping for the light once your off the ramp! :eek: :D

Isn't there some sort of speed measuring device at this exit?? I know I read that they do record your speed, would send you warnings and eventually fines. I would hate to get that ticket in the mail! :eek:

--Good idea with painting it black.

-- I saw the high speed tolls going to BPG last year on the PA Turnpike.... definately a neat feature.

I think I'll go ahead and order my EZ Passes today. Thanks to everyone for your input. It sounds like a pretty good deal with very few drawbacks/problems.