Onto the Cam Sensor

Lockman

Appreciate and Admire other' s Knowledge
So.......On my '84 HA, I removed the CCCI , so I could get better access. On the bench, the ohm readings are : Between towers 3 & 6 = 12.04 , 2 & 5 = 12.45 , 1 & 4 = 11.71 . Are these OK ?
I thought I had her at TDC on #1 , but this pic doesn't look right ? The screw boss ears for the cap are ~ 30 degrees different than Casper's diagram & I also have about 1/8" vertical play , but nothing side to side ? I'll recheck for TDC , when I get a helper & I'll research some more , between shop time . Any thoughts are always appreciated.
Thanks ,
Richie-------Lockman
Cam - Does this look right.jpg

Lockman

Thanks Chuck,
I was thinking that way too. It may the 'Miss' that I've been chasin'. Where do I look for a rebuild kit , if one is available ?

Lockman

Me again...... I get excited, even in my old age.
AnyHoo, I just read your January reply that Scot @GNS rebuilds them. I'm gonna go out & pull it & let Ya'all know......
Thanks, again
Richie

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy
Me again...... I get excited, even in my old age.
AnyHoo, I just read your January reply that Scot @GNS rebuilds them. I'm gonna go out & pull it & let Ya'all know......
Thanks, again
Richie
@turbo nasty rebuilds them we well. He is also closer to you geographically. Seen his work, and it looked great.

Lockman

Pulled it & gauged it. Looks like ~ .60 gap / wear ? is that enough to cause problems?
Cam Sensor Leg wear.JPG

Cam Sensor Leg wear.2.JPG

Lockman

Thanks Chuck ..... I did that this afternoon. Do you happen to know any specs on this or where to find them ? My TSM seems to be missing any #'s to measure for .
The PO was running a 180 T stat . Glad I found this , after 2 !/2 years :oops: I'm putting in a 160 tomorrow.

Lockman

Update :
R & R 'd my T stat, from a 180 by the PO , to a 160 Hi-flow. I also removed the coolant line to the TB. I'll hopefully be able to rebuild my Cam Sensor drive
Tomorrow afternoon & fire her up.
BTW , Would anyone know if I could possibly find a Cam Sensor With Drive , #25516915 & a Cam Sensor, # 25518357 , anywhere on our Planet ?
Just Ask'n :unsure:
Thanks again , Ya'all........I'm all over this one., with your help :cool:

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy
Update :
R & R 'd my T stat, from a 180 by the PO , to a 160 Hi-flow. I also removed the coolant line to the TB. I'll hopefully be able to rebuild my Cam Sensor drive
Tomorrow afternoon & fire her up.
BTW , Would anyone know if I could possibly find a Cam Sensor With Drive , #25516915 & a Cam Sensor, # 25518357 , anywhere on our Planet ?
Just Ask'n :unsure:
Thanks again , Ya'all........I'm all over this one., with your help :cool:
@grass doctor

Lockman

So...... After receiving the Pro kit today, I read your instructions & watched your You Tubes. Thanks a ton, for your great turnaround & support . Any way , it went back together very nicely UNTIL.......I threaded the socket head screw in by finger & then began to turn the remaining 3 to 4 threads in with an Allen wrench . It just started to feel tight & whammo ........
Chinese Junk.2.jpg

Chinese Junk.jpg
After the Cryin' & Cuss'n ended......... I was able to apply a touch of heat to soften the thread locker, & grab & turn out the broken stub . I then re-used the original Philips head screw with some red Loc Tite ........ WHEW ! ! !
I got the unit back in .....Nice & tight , in the way its supposed to be . There was a noticeable difference in the cam sensor shaft. I'm very hope full that this is gonna fix that " Miss" I've been chas'n for a couple years. We'll see on Wednesday, when I can finish & fire her up
I think it's possible that the OEM shaft was not bored & tapped deep enough for the socket head length ???? OR....... as I Satirically suspect, that we are all victims of the caption in my Pics ( Chinese Junk )..........Bastard's ! :rolleyes:

Let me make sure that everyone knows that I do NOT blame anyone, in any way, for my mishap.......It could have been " Just one of those things " that happen ?
Take Care .... I'll let ya'all know Weds. nite. I'm Psyched :cool:
Richie------Lockman

Last edited:

Lockman

Fuck Me Walk'n ........For now . Here's hoping for tomorrow afternoon.:sleep:

Lockman

If that fix doesn't "fix the fix", u will be walkin!
The Crank sensor was floating too . Is there a tolerance to be set between the pick up & the ring ? Having trouble searching.............
Thanks, Richie

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy
The Crank sensor was floating too . Is there a tolerance to be set between the pick up & the ring ? Having trouble searching.............
Thanks, Richie
In the middle of the slot, seriously.
I put a dial indicator on the ring and tweak it to a 0.005" max run-out target.

Lockman

So ........ Got everything R & R 'd , nice & neat.........No Start. No Spark. All Coil towers now read HV 1.88 ohms ? What happened ? I've got a '84 CCCI & ignition module backup . Should I swap that ?

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
So ........ Got everything R & R 'd , nice & neat.........No Start. No Spark. All Coil towers now read HV 1.88 ohms ? What happened ? I've got a '84 CCCI & ignition module backup . Should I swap that ?
If you had the crank sensor out, did you put it back in the correct slot?
Cam sensor, or not, crank sensor or not, won't affect the coil ohm readings. 1.88? Check your meter setting.