Ongoing diagnostics......

Lockman

OH, OK .......Now I get it
Went for a 60 mile trip , mostly hi-way , last week. She was running rich to the point of smelling fuel . Grumpy advised a couple of us that we might need this tool. Test on Federal Mogul.jpg Found one in NJ, for $40. Tested my MAF & low & behold, No Good ,as the picture shows . Had this one , on the shelf , from a closed shop in Syracuse. Good to Go , so on she went. Test On AC Delco.jpg Ran a data Log , in Park . Discovered that the intergers are hunting around. BLM stays at 110 ? I 'd appreciate it , if anyone is interested, to read my log data & give me your opinons & suggestions .
Thanks,
....Richie

Lockman

Forget to add this . I hope you can open it.

Attachments

• Analog 7_17_2021.pdf
    322.5 KB · Views: 27

Lockman

I reset the ECM today. Gonna keep driving to work & such for the next couple days . Just easy city stuff. We'll see......

NorCalTurbos

Slowing down to SPEED UP!!!
Is your cam sensor in good shape? Also in my opinion a rich condition is better than leaning out on a turbocharged vehicle. What chip/injector combo are you running?

Lockman

Yes. Rebuilt it recently with help from turbonasty. I had recently replaced the injectors with stock 28 #ers. Eric burnt me a new 5.1 chip last year.
This BLM @ 110 bothers me. Gonna check it now, after 25 miles of driving.
P.S. Sorry about the upside down pic's , I typically do better.

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy
It all adds up!

The hotter ambient temps will lower BLM. The fuel pressure gage accuracy will impact BLM. The MAF sensor calibration and condition will effect the number as well. Than there is a summer fuel blend of who knows what for your area and voltage drop issues (ground side), etc. The list is long . . .

Wait till the temps get to mid-low 40F and see what the BLM does. Don't chase the 128 number as that changes with any and all of the listed variables. The ECM has determined that the car is happy at 110, so that's where it is at. Easy way to raise the BLM is to create a vacuum leak.

Note: the BLM number is the idle BLM number and only effects a small RPM/load window.

Lockman

Once again, jerryl ......Thanks for explaining it so that I can understand. I should be damn happy that I fixed all the leaks previously, & it's staying that way.
I'm just gonna enjoy driving it. It ran pretty good today......abient air temp 85 degrees & humid !

Lockman

So..... I did find a stock AC Delco, In the box , MAF in Texas for $70. Took a shot & it came today. Hooked up my new-fangled Tester & WaLaaaaa, It's Good .:cool: Now I've got a good one in, One on the shelf, & 2 ) AC Delco's that need rebuilding . May be contacting Dennis soon........
Test On AC Delco.jpg

Lockman

Been Driving , back & forth to work , all this week. Easy on the pedal, with only a couple shots at opening her up . Mileage seems better after all the improvements. Running at 160 degrees + / - , so that's big. :) I'm liking the way she sounds & drives. Been lower humidity & Hi temps in the mid 70's.

Oh Yeah....... Found out Dennis Kirbin's crew will only take ' 86- '87 MAF's for credit / rebuild . So I'm outta luck there. I've got 2 AC Delco , 1984 mafs that test bad ?
Thanks,
.....Richie

HotAirWH1

Been Driving , back & forth to work , all this week. Easy on the pedal, with only a couple shots at opening her up . Mileage seems better after all the improvements. Running at 160 degrees + / - , so that's big. :) I'm liking the way she sounds & drives. Been lower humidity & Hi temps in the mid 70's.

Oh Yeah....... Found out Dennis Kirbin's crew will only take ' 86- '87 MAF's for credit / rebuild . So I'm outta luck there. I've got 2 AC Delco , 1984 mafs that test bad ?
Thanks,
.....Richie
I to have 2 - 84/85 AC Delco MAF's which test bad. Let me know if you find someone who can refurbish them. I have not had any luck so far.

Lockman

Yes Sir...... We're kinda out in the wind here. Keep the 1984 Faith, Man.
....Richie

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy

Thanks,
.....Richie
That MAF should last another 15 years. What air filter are you using?

If you are able to find a good 86-87 MAF (this isn't easy), it can be used if TT reburns the chip.

The other option is to convert to SD (Speed Density). This is more expensive but there are performance and reliability benefits to doing this.

HotAirWH1

Yes Sir...... We're kinda out in the wind here. Keep the 1984 Faith, Man.
....Richie
Rockauto claims that Cardone will rebuild our Hot Air MAF's. I wonder if anyone has used their service and do they work once they are remanufactured ???
84-85 MAF Remanufacture Service.JPG

Ronbo14

Rockauto claims that Cardone will rebuild our Hot Air MAF's. I wonder if anyone has used their service and do they work once they are remanufactured ??? View attachment 367793
FYI, Kirban uses Cardone to rebuild his 86/87 MAF’s & other products as well. He has been using them for a while. Check his weekly newsletters, he discusses that.

Lockman

I read that too .Dennis said they had trouble with Cardone , previously, But he thinks they are back on track ?. Again, He does say that it's for '86 - ' 87 AC Delco's only, though.
....Richie