One wheel peel? non-g80

l3lue

what is the best route to go posi on a stock rear end? Or are you better off upgrading to a custom 9'' or something? Trying to keep it budget friendly if at all possible lol

If i was going to a new posi I'd go to 30 spline and do the axles and bearings while it was apart.

Depending on what you are going to do with the car and how much power you plan for a 9"might be the way to go. An 8.5 ten bolt can take a lot but it isn't indestructible.

9" are strong but they are also much heavier and eat up extra hp. I know of a guy that went back to 12 bolt from a 9" in his turbo V8 Camaro be cause the 9" slowed him down.

I believe most of us can and have gone really far with with an 8.5 inch. It seems to be one of those things most TR guys don't bother with until it needs to be bothered with. Put the posi in it, put a TA cover on it, through some 30 spline axles in it, and proceed to torture it. It may be years before you can even think of pulling the 20psi-trans brake-1.2 60' times.

I don't know how fast your going, but having a 9" just to have one seems like something all those "other hot-rodders" do just because they think it's part of some golden formula.

I've used the Powertrax lock right (unlocks around corners like a Detroit locker, stays locked while straight) in a 250hp off roader with good success. I'm not sure how well this would work in a TR. Maybe in a mostly stock one. It is a nice slip in unit though.
Just a thought.

the Eaton posi carrier is what was put in them stock- and in everything else that GM put the 8.5 in starting in 1972 or so until the 90's some time. that's the easiest way to go about it..

if you could find one out of a late 80's to 96 Caprice cop car or wagon, that would be the easy way to be able to upgrade to 30 spline axles..

I put a 9" in mine not because hot riders do it

I did it because I did not want to run a c clip rear end

And did not want to mess with leaking ass eliminators

I put a 9" in mine not because hot riders do it

I did it because I did not want to run a c clip rear end

And did not want to mess with leaking ass eliminators

Good point. But without the intervention of NHRA rules, It may not matter much if it doesn't have c-clip eliminators. It's not often a sub 500 hundred horsepower TR snaps a 30 spline axle on the street <--actually I doubt if it has ever happened.

Even at the track it would have to be a real fun to watch sick-ass launch!

I'm also due for a 9". But I can't advise a guy who may only need a posi to scrap the rear in favor of all the bells and whistles.

I have a Powertrax locker in my GN and it is the cheapest and esaiest way to go from an open diff to a "posi". It can be done at home in a short period of time and requires no special tools or skills becuase it does not require the gears to be set up again like adding a new carrier. I would prefer an Eaton over the Powertrax but the Powertrax can be had for less than half the cost of adding an Eaton so depending on your budget it may be of some interest to you.

I had an Auburn Gear posi unit installed with Moser 28 spline axles and Richmond Gears 3.42 ring and pinion 20 years ago. And they are still performing as good as the day they were installed. I do keep the gear oil changed and use the limited slip lube additive though.

Last edited:
I have a Powertrax locker in my GN and it is the cheapest and esaiest way to go from an open diff to a "posi". It can be done at home in a short period of time and requires no special tools or skills becuase it does not require the gears to be set up again like adding a new carrier. I would prefer an Eaton over the Powertrax but the Powertrax can be had for less than half the cost of adding an Eaton so depending on your budget it may be of some interest to you.
How do you like it?

How do you like it?

Its a good bang for the buck. It does click when you go around sharp turns like all lockers do but it has always locked both rear tires under power. The downsides are the clicking in tight turns and its not as smooth of engagement as a normal posi carrier like an Eaton , but the upside is that it can be installed with normal hand tools by almost anyone for a pretty low price. I will likely upgrade mine to an Eaton at some point but the Powertrax has always worked well and I can live with the clicking so it never really seems like a priority so it keeps getting moved to the bottom of the list.

Eaton with 28 spline moser axles in my car. The thing about the eaton, you have to buy the oversize bearings. Don't forget, torque and locktight on the ring bolts, and setup the mesh the same as factory was. It's a pita to shim the carrier, it gets heavy after a while under the car taking it in and out and not dropping shims all over the place. Could pull whole rearend out, its quite easy, then setup the rear on some stands.

Its a good bang for the buck. It does click when you go around sharp turns like all lockers do but it has always locked both rear tires under power. The downsides are the clicking in tight turns and its not as smooth of engagement as a normal posi carrier like an Eaton , but the upside is that it can be installed with normal hand tools by almost anyone for a pretty low price. I will likely upgrade mine to an Eaton at some point but the Powertrax has always worked well and I can live with the clicking so it never really seems like a priority so it keeps getting moved to the bottom of the list.
I think This is the route I am going to go , is there any tips for install?

I've swapped new Eaton Posi carriers into 4 different stock rear ends using the stock shims already in the rear. Lash before and after was nearly dead on to the factory settings. No messing with the pinion gear.