One Stop Parts For Diy Alky

Red Regal T

For those of you who can't seem to get their a$$ in gear to order parts from different vendors to put together a diy alky kit, I found this kit as per a post over in the tech forum. This kit looks essentially the same as the diy kit that I installed on my car. Appears to use a reliable Shurflo pump. I'd still rather save the money and get my own parts together, but this is a little easier because you just have to order the kit and you're in business.

http://becooling.safeshopper.com/31/175.htm?816

$250, damn i only spent about $80 to buy all my parts. Of course i used my old stock fuel pump.

Scott

Saw that thread on the tech.

Yah, really looks like the DIY kit. But I have to agree with you, I would probably go with just going out and getting this stuff on my own. Espcecially since things like wiring and relays that I already have.

Good link though. I'm still kicking around the trunk mount idea. Would a check valve work for that as well??

IRV, you used a stock fuel pump?? I can't imagine that lasting too long. How long have you had it set up like that?? Also, I read somewhere that somebody was using a VW fuel pump. Good?

I do think, however, that the stevemon DIY is better. Putting your own parts together, you know what you're getting. With the assembled kit, the pump looks like the Shurflo #2687 but it may be the smaller $40 version. Also, the nozzle......they give no description of how big it is. Same mystery with the other components. There's not even an overall power switch. It's really not hard to get all the parts together yourself, and when you do, you save money. When I put mine together, other than to bother Steve Monroe, there wasn't as much info. I had some trouble getting some parts then, but today with this forum, we can lead anyone astray. :D

Red, i am cheap. I like to get the best deals that i can.

GN85, yep i used it for 2 years without problem. I am on my second stock fuel pump. They are cheap and readily available.

Scott

Nice work Red,,,BUT am I supposed to pour the FREAKING ALKI in the imaginary tank,,,nice but you still need to find a tank....;) :rolleyes:

That's not too bad. You can go 2 stage for another 55 bucks. Even with getting a tank, and more hose you should come under $350. This is the way to go esp. if you want to put a large tank in the trunk.

A few years back I remember a vendor wanting $550 for a two stage.

One question that remains is how to change the nozzles, or regulate the flow. This is why I prefer using aquamist nozzles. Get 2-3 1 mm nozzles, and if you need more, just buy a 'Y', and add one on.

Lots of options but all in all the DIY kit of Stevemon's makes great sense. Also it appears the need for 2 stage is diminished once methanol is used. That does keep it simple and inexpensive.

Guys that take the time to understand how these systems work should not be intimated with tracking down parts. One call to Brad at Aquamist, (google search for his number) and one call for a sureflow pump and you have almost everything you need. Basically the wiring, and a tank and lines from the tank to the pump would be all that is left.

The only thing I dont like about the aquamist nozzles is they use plastic lines. And with the pressure that can be run with the shureflow pump, I dunno..they may mist nicely..but I wont put my trust in plastic hoses at 100 PSI plus. Some say change them once a year..I kinda would never want to change anything. Thats why my vote is for the Mcmaster Carr nozzles and braided teflon hose.

Listen you guys wanting to flow a lot of alky, contact me.. The progressive controller is 100 percent operational and it will be ready for sale this summer. No pulsing pump, completely adjustable, and no need for Hobbs switches, relays, craziness :)

My direct scan recordings done at the track last thursday nite eliminated the spike in O2's that would occur when the SMC kit I was using fired..i'm talking flat line pretty much the whole run. The previous kit would make O2's jump to high 800's/low 900's first 100 feet..thats been pretty much eliminated. I'll see if I can get some of those runs posted up on the direct scan page of BMCS.com. This is very preliminary but is happening :)

Two M10 nozzles at 150 PSI will drown a whale :).. i'm finding my car likes 75 PSI on twin 10's. 150 is way too much..until more airflow is generated

;)

Originally posted by Razor
The only thing I dont like about the aquamist nozzles is they use plastic lines. And with the pressure that can be run with the shureflow pump, I dunno..they may mist nicely..but I wont put my trust in plastic hoses at 100 PSI plus. Some say change them once a year..I kinda would never want to change anything. Thats why my vote is for the Mcmaster Carr nozzles and braided teflon hose.

Listen you guys wanting to flow a lot of alky, contact me.. The progressive controller is 100 percent operational and it will be ready for sale this summer. No pulsing pump, completely adjustable, and no need for Hobbs switches, relays, craziness :)

My direct scan recordings done at the track last thursday nite eliminated the spike in O2's that would occur when the SMC kit I was using fired..i'm talking flat line pretty much the whole run. The previous kit would make O2's jump to high 800's/low 900's first 100 feet..thats been pretty much eliminated. I'll see if I can get some of those runs posted up on the direct scan page of BMCS.com. This is very preliminary but is happening :)

Two M10 nozzles at 150 PSI will drown a whale :).. i'm finding my car likes 75 PSI on twin 10's. 150 is way too much..until more airflow is generated

;)

I haven't had any problems with the nylon tubing, and I think its worth the extra trouble to use Aquamist nozzles. I've had an SMC kit on my truck, worked ok, but after using Aquamist nozzles and a Shurflo pump I'm not going back any time soon.

The tubing I use is rate for more than 150 psi so I see no need to change it out yearly. Now, regular old poly tubing isn't a great idea, the stuff gets kind of hard and brittle.

I love the idea of your new progressive controller, especially for the people that don't have ability to make large fuel corrections. Keep up the good work and give us an update when your ready to release pricing. I'm maybe able to sell a few for ya.

Originally posted by Razor

Razor,

While 'plastic' lines seem counter intuitive at first, once you try them, you'll see they are quite tough and designed for the harsh temperature and pressure conditions - I've shorted the pressure switch on my Shurflo - running big pressure. Steve Hill runs very high pressure too. Changing lines once a year isn't a bad idea from a preventative maintenance standpoint, but you don't have to do that.

I hear ya Dman..ya know the braided lines are plastic tube themselves as well..just have that outer protective sheathing.

I also like using AN fittings where possible as well. Theyre idiot proof. Clamps are also iffy's.. too bad they dont make aquamist nozzles with pipe or AN fittings.

My pump is bypassed as well, tho I wont run it at full steam..seems like way too much alky...for now :)