On center with hyd roller cam?

The cam doesn't matter whether it is an on center or off center, so if a roller will work on stock block, it is the same with on center stage motor. And it doesn't matter what heads, stage 2 or champions.

You better pay close attention to oiling the lifters with hydraulic roller in Stage 2 block;)

You better pay close attention to oiling the lifters with hydraulic roller in Stage 2 block;)

I'm just curious why you say this... Would you mind giving some explanation? Furthermore, what does "pay attention" actually mean? Are there some things that need to be done? Or, are you just saying this based on what you've heard from others?

Dominic You better pay close attention to oiling the lifters with hydraulic roller in Stage 2 block

i believe he means make sure that the top end is getting oil. not all the stage blocks have the lifter bores drilled to get oil to the lifters, pushrods, rockers etc.

steve

I am curious about pushrod location and rocker geometry is why I asked the question.

When using champions with T&D's on an on-center motor, I remembered (in correctly) that offset lifters are required. That would point me in the direction that using a hydraulic roller cam wasn't possible.

Alignment Issues..

I know a guy running a hyd roller cam in a 153 block. I think it depending on the heads. FWIW I installed a set of "R" GN1 heads on a offcenter block and had to install offset lifters on the intakes , had to go solids could NOT use hdy roller lifters unless major work was done to the pushrod hole, example drill them much larger and install liners in the holes. Then again on the my present motor a offcenter #16 I have "R" heads with a hyd roller cam and lifters.

What heads was he using on the 153 block? Thinking about it some more, Im more puzzled on how it would work. With both heads moving, all else equal with the cam in the same location. The pushrods holes in the heads would need to shift a little and maybe use scorpion rockers that are angled?

He was using Champion 14 bolt "R" heads (2" intake-1.60 ex) it's been a few years ago when they were still carving their logo in the water jacket:( A lot of us know what that resulted in). The heads I had to use offset filters with were a later generation "R" with the logo on the end of the head. I don't think one can know until they have the parts and do a mock up. Lash caps can work in your favour to some degree. Wish I had the perfect answer.

An on-center block has its cylinder banks shifted fore/aft. The lifter bores did not get shifted. If the lifter bores were shifted, then they'll be a need for an offset lobe cam which don't exist.

I never seen offset hyd lifters.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

An on-center block has its cylinder banks shifted fore/aft. The lifter bores did not get shifted. If the lifter bores were shifted, then they'll be a need for an offset lobe cam which don't exist.

I never seen offset hyd lifters.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Billy,
I have a set of offset isky rollers (albeit solid rollers) that came with some of my stage stuff. Would there be any difference from solid to hydraulic? I have been told it's hit and miss whether they are needed or not (offset) whether stage heads or production style. Is there any combo that "for sure" needs them, or do you just have to wait and see?

Well, I'm running a hydraulic roller in my off-center stage 2 block with stage 2 heads. It came with a solid roller cam and had the off-set lifters that the engine calls for.

When switching to a hydraulic roller, the pushrod holes need to be large enough to allow for a little bit of an angle going from the lifter to the rocker arm. At first I didn't like it until I looked at the pushrods in my SBF engine with Trick Flow High Port heads on it. The angle is about the same now on both engines.

There is no interference on either engine, both run well and both have good oil pressure and good oil volume in the lifter area.

I'm just curious why you say this... Would you mind giving some explanation? Furthermore, what does "pay attention" actually mean? Are there some things that need to be done? Or, are you just saying this based on what you've heard from others?

Pay attention means exactly what it says. Read my post again it says "pay attention to oiling the lifters". IF Stage blocks are drilled for lifter oiling there will be a very small hole (under .080 dia.) this will not be enuff to oil the lifter and valvetrain. If they're not drilled you need to go rather large (.250+) Hydraulics rely on oil to keep the lash correct if you don't give them enuff oil you will run into problems.

Make sense to "pay attention" now?

IF Stage blocks are drilled for lifter oiling there will be a very small hole (under .080 dia.) this will not be enuff to oil the lifter and valvetrain. If they're not drilled you need to go rather large (.250+) Hydraulics rely on oil to keep the lash correct if you don't give them enuff oil you will run into problems.

Let me make sure I understand if you don't mind:

If running solid roller, the <.080 oiling hole is sufficient.
If running hydraulic roller, you need >/= .250 oiling hole, due to the necessity for hydraulic operation.

Am I reading that correctly? I know there is more info on this in the Powersource manual, but I like hearing it from the experts as well. Thanks for the info.

James

Good info. Thanks for sharing it. But wouldn't it have been more helpful to give the specifics rather than saying "pay attention"?

Definitely better, IMO, than coming across as a jackass. Does that make any sense to you?

Good info. Thanks for sharing it. But wouldn't it have been more helpful to give the specifics rather than saying "pay attention"?

Definitely better, IMO, than coming across as a jackass. Does that make any sense to you?

:rolleyes: