Ok somewhat confused with boost control

Fuel pumps original. 50k mile car. Either way I have a 255 Walbro to go in. Gonna have to drive it down to my house as their garage is not conducive to getting anything done. I posted scanmaster readings in my old now gone thread. TPS?? was high even though we set it once. BLM’s 141 I think. So needs some issues ironed out.

BLM's at 141. Vacuum or pre turbo exhaust leaks. I have vids on how to swap the pump in the driveway. It's a 2 beer job.
I’m thinking it def has some vacuum leaks. Pre turbo should be ok but you never know. I ordered some vacuum line from highway stars. Might buy more to make sure I have enough. Have a smoke machine I’m gonna hook up to it too.

You may have to call Scott at GNS & ask. Said out of stock for me as well.

Called to check & got one.
Yep, I just got one too about a week ago. Website said out of stock so I emailed, they had one out the door quick, looks good too.

Emailed GNS. Waiting for a response. If I can get the 3 gauge thinking of going boost, fuel pressure, and wideband. Looking at the auto meter sport comps. Recommend one over the other? Would like to possibly do a power logger in the future.

Fuel pumps original. 50k mile car. Either way I have a 255 Walbro to go in. Gonna have to drive it down to my house as their garage is not conducive to getting anything done. I posted scanmaster readings in my old now gone thread. TPS?? was high even though we set it once. BLM’s 141 I think. So needs some issues ironed out.
I wouldnt use the stock fuel pump in these cars even if it was 1987... let alone 2022

Emailed GNS. Waiting for a response. If I can get the 3 gauge thinking of going boost, fuel pressure, and wideband. Looking at the auto meter sport comps. Recommend one over the other? Would like to possibly do a power logger in the future.
In my opinion I would at least run an oil pressure gauge. Gauges are mainly a personal preference. I run the Autometer 2-16” Ultra-Nite 2.

My set-up is boost, oil pressure, fuel pressure, volts, water temp, & wideband. It’s more gauges than I would personally like, but I gotz to know what’s goin’ on.

Powerlogger is great for data logging & tuning. A must have? Eh. If you’re just driving it & not going beating on it a Scanmaster will woik.

Yeah I’d like more gauges just don’t like the look. Might just have to leave some things to faith.

Will just be a weekend car. Would like it to be a reliable 11 sec car one day though.
For 11’s then yeah Powerlogger it up. Just started tuning on mine. I’ll be using wideband, Powerlogger , & Scanmaster for normal driving.

Over the winter after my short block is done will go to E85.

Unfortunately no e85 around here. So will eventually be running 93 and alky. I don’t like the idea of needing alky but what you gonna do?

Ok so what’s the best course of action. Could hook up a boost gauge to see what she’s running but really shouldn’t go wot in it. I guess I can send the chip back to Eric to set it to stock boost but don’t really know what that is.

Eric’s chips have nothing to do with boost.

Is your wastegate arm threaded with a nut on it? If so you have an adjustable wastegate. If not it’s non adjustable wategate.

Not sure if you have a manual boost controller or not. I’d at least get the Hotwire & fuel pump done before ya worry about where the boost is at.

I’m not totally sure how it works but I was assuming it would be getting too much fuel at wot thinking it’s running 18lbs when it’s really stock. Not so? I want to start at stock boost levels and go up when it’s running right.

Post a picture of your wastegate arm.

What I do is roll until I hit 3rd gear & then go to WOT. With my boost gauge I can see where it’s maxing out at & make adjustments up or down from there.

Again, patience. At a minimum get your Hotwire & fuel pump installed. Then adjust your fuel pressure(vacuum line off). Then you can start seeing where you’re boost is.

You don’t want to blow any head gaskets over an easy job.

Unfortunately no e85 around here. So will eventually be running 93 and alky. I don’t like the idea of needing alky but what you gonna do?
SM G, PL, WB, Fuel pressure transducer is your best friends... not a thing in the world wrong with 93/alky on a street car, IMO it is the best bang for the buck period... 5gal M1 meth goes a long ways.

OP, your posts seems to me a little out of focus with no clear direction. No offense, many of us started exactly where you are now. At least you have an excuse. Some, like me, are still out of focus and I’ve been here for at least 13 damn years :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

You got a lot of good advice in this thread, just need to prioritize them. Seems you’ve collected all the parts you need to get started. In my worthless opinion this is what I’d do in order if it were my car: install new fuel pump and hotwire; get a new chip burned for 60’s and install chip and 60’s (you can also install your adjustable FPR since its simple enough but its not an absolute need at this point, you can adjust fueling through the chip if need). Then fix those vacuum leaks. Notice I have not mentioned installing the boost gauge yet because hopefully you have not been in boost until you got the basics covered. Then you can go ahead and install that boost gauge and verify fuel 1:1 fuel pressure rise. Come back here and post up numbers again or better yet learn what they mean by studying up.

New exhaust, downpipe, paint jobs, etc, are all nice to have but you don’t need them as much as you need to get the car lined out first. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Thanks. I get it. I’m just planning further and further ahead before I can even get to the car. Without a doubt the fuel pump, fpr, injectors, chip will be the first things I do. Hoping it won’t take more than a nice solid Saturday. But I’m going to take my time and try to not get mad.

Thanks. I get it. I’m just planning further and further ahead before I can even get to the car. Without a doubt the fuel pump, fpr, injectors, chip will be the first things I do. Hoping it won’t take more than a nice solid Saturday. But I’m going to take my time and try to not get mad.
Sorry if I misinterpreted some of your posts. It just had the feeling of getting ahead of yourself and I was only trying to bring you back to the basics. Good luck getting your car straightened out.