Ok , I need a hand with the 200r4 guys

need boost

got boost? you should!
Staff member
Working on my wifes monte that I have been building forever . The trans had been rebuilt but always was slow going into gear , especially reverse when first cranked up . I have a trans that was in my T type before I bought a new one after it failed . It was a built unit from godsley but it failed and would go forward sometimes or reverse sometimes but either way if you tried to go the other way it would lock up hard !!!!!!!! ANYWAY I figured the valve body in the wifes can was sticking so I put in the valve body from my old trans , a new .500 valve in the pump , the servo from the side and buttoned up back up . Filled it up and manually ran it thur the gears with all working perfect , the car was on the lift so the tires could free spin with no load on them . Took it down the road and went easy manually shifting it thur the gears , nice firm shifts !! OK Now if you put it just in OD and drive it it is shifting super fast , like into third by 20 mph fast !! Yes the TV cable is set right and working , pulled the pan back down just to be positive it was working all the way to the valve body . Also if you are driving it , it will not downshift till you are stopped , even if you try to manually downshift it , it will not downshift . I am so close to finally having this car done for her to drive and enjoy guys , Thanks for any help got to get this thing finished where I can get back to working on my T more lol

What governor do you have in the transmission? What is the gear ratio of the rear in the Monte? I assume a BR valve body?

The governor is the one that was in it , The trans was from a station wagon as when I bought the car they had put a 350 turbo in it and I swapped it back to 200r4 with what I could find back then . It was shifting fine before I swapped the valve body BUT I didn't drive it down the road in a long time either . I know I had a 350 do this to me years ago and the governer was stuck . Took it out and cleaned it , got it flipping again and it went back to working fine . Wonder if that is what is going to here . The monte has the stock 3.73 gears in it . The valve body I think is a BF unit . It came from my other trans which was in my T but it was a built unit also so who knows . Thanks

I will try and pull it out tomorrow , going to pick up an adapter to screw in my pressure guage before I drop the pan back down to get to the governer

The governor is the one that was in it , The trans was from a station wagon as when I bought the car they had put a 350 turbo in it and I swapped it back to 200r4 with what I could find back then . It was shifting fine before I swapped the valve body BUT I didn't drive it down the road in a long time either . I know I had a 350 do this to me years ago and the governer was stuck . Took it out and cleaned it , got it flipping again and it went back to working fine . Wonder if that is what is going to here . The monte has the stock 3.73 gears in it . The valve body I think is a BF unit . It came from my other trans which was in my T but it was a built unit also so who knows . Thanks
If the valve body is a BR, you will need to install the light weight governor from your BR trans. The station wagon trans will have a medium to heavy weight governor and it will shift real quick with a BR valve body. Switch the governor and it should shift correctly.