Oil Pump Spring

FastGN007

Finishing up my engine rebuild and am getting ready to rebuild the oil pump. I bought the melling rebuild kit and it comes with a few different springs. Was curious as to what springs people are running. My front cover is standard and not a HV. I will be running a booster plate and my bearing clearances are a little loose. Any info is appreciated!

Scott

Hi,
Wow, this is a tough one. I know where you are coming from,the kit has 3 or 4 springs. I personally would probably go with the medium spring, which you can tell just by flexing it. Check them all, and install the middle one. I wish I had better info, but that's how it goes sometimes. Good luck!

Hi,
Yeah, the springs ARE color coded, but I am not certain about their rating.I guess the Melling people can tell you. I have dealt with them on a few occasions, and they are pretty cool.

The yellow spring was recommended in the Kenne Bell kit.

Mines been in use about 150K miles. :smile:

mellings springs

from memory, i believe the red spring is for 40# and should have the least number of coils. the yellow spring is for 60# and is just slightly shorter than the blue spring which is for 70# and is the longest. i would think your choice of oil and its viscosity would be factors to consider regarding the spring choice.
bw jones