Oil pump gaskets

Sleeper-6

After checking out my oil pump shim kit from TA I have a question. Do these gaskets seal on their own or do I have to use some sort of dressing on them. Some seen way too thin to compress and seal. If a gasket is dressing needed, what is the preferred one to use here?

Thanks

You are supposed to use it with a paper gasket as a shim. I however have used them alone several times with a little avation glue and no leaks,unless the surface is not flat.

On all aftermarket covers I have used the thinnest one. GM's varry.

I saw that, that would still leave the plastic shim against metal on one side so it made me wonder how well that would seal.

Why not contact TA and ask them...they work on/build front covers/oil pumps all the time...

I have used just the shims before with nothing else with no leaks whatsoever in fact the pump that’s on my current stage motor just has a shim and nothing else .

That is very good to know - I would like to buy two .0015 gaskets from Earl Brown but if I can"t figure out how to do that I will buy the TA Shim Kit.

Thanks for the quick Response - Lone GN on the Western Slope of Colorado.

Number one and two reasons for leaks in oil pump pocket to wear plate and filter adapter is
1. NON flat mating surfaces
2. Surfaces not clean

Check mating surfaces for flatness and make sure the mylar shims and gaskets are clean and sometimes there is some flashing or debris from gaskets being cut . I use brake cleaner and clean lint free towels to clean all mating surfaces. Ive set up several pumps and ALWAYS use my SS oil pump wear plates and NEVER had a leak or seep!!!

Fwiw I always use the TA shim kits

Number one and two reasons for leaks in oil pump pocket to wear plate and filter adapter is
1. NON flat mating surfaces
2. Surfaces not clean

Check mating surfaces for flatness and make sure the mylar shims and gaskets are clean and sometimes there is some flashing or debris from gaskets being cut . I use brake cleaner and clean lint free towels to clean all mating surfaces. Ive set up several pumps and ALWAYS use my SS oil pump wear plates and NEVER had a leak or seep!!!

Fwiw I always use the TA shim kits
Just Exactly what I needed to know ordering them today!
Thank You very - after 31 years of ownership I keep learning about these cars.

I've used just the shims with no leaks.
I asked Tim at TA about this one time, he said its cool as long as it doesn't leak

He did. I have a stash of .0015" gaskets tucked safely away in a book to keep them from getting messed up. Since I only mess with GM covers, I never use them....

.....just no idea what book and where it is! lol

Took off VDO electric gauge & installed Stewart Warner 0-100 Mechanical gauge - now have 50psi hot cruise and 20 hot Idle in drive - .004 gasket on new lapped oil pump adapter and gears (no booster plate yet). Torco TR1 conventional racing oil.