Oil pump cover gasket specs?

MichBC3

Does anyone know the gasket thicknesses of a Fel Pro 70032 or Mahle B45577 oil pump cover gasket? I can't find any specs for these. I need to buy a gasket that is 0.006" thick to match the one that I need to remove.

If you have another source, manufacturer or part number to suggest for a thickness of 0.006", please advise. Thanks, Bob

a digital vernier caliper is your friend.

with the gasket installed you should be shooting for gear end clearances between 0.002" - 0.003"
I used plastigage to verify when I did mine many years ago

TA Performance has a set of shim gaskets. Steve V already covered this via his youtube video segments below...

Most gaskets that come in the fel pro timing cover gasket kit are .006" to .007"

The thing is, you really don't know the exact gasket you need until you get in there and start torquing down the filter adapter.

TA performance sells a shim kit, get one. You will be able to set it nice and tight. Besure everything is FLAT!

Thanks for all the input gents. I just bought a Fel Pro 70032 at Napa and it measured 0.009" uncompressed. I am assembling a new engine and re-using the timing cover and oil pump that was in the previous engine. The oil pump had no wear and plenty of pressure. No need to change anything. Just needed to open the cover to pack the pump with vasoline for priming. The cover gasket was intact, but some of it was lifting. It measures 0.006". So a $2 70032 won't work. I will be purchasing that TA Performance shim/gasket assortment later today - more than I need, but that's the cost of careful engine building.

You can't really compare a never compressed .009" gasket to one that's been compressed for years and heat cycled a million times. That .009" gasket is going to squish down quite a bit after it's put in use. That and you can't assume the .006" gasket was dead nuts after the pump got some miles and time on it.

the only way to know is to torque it up and see what you have.

And you might as well do the free oil flow mods while the cover is apart.

Lots of oil mods were already done to this GN timing cover before I bought the car two years ago. I had great oil pressure last year before taking the previous engine apart to upgrade to billet main caps, forged crank, JE pistons & forged connecting rods. No bearing problems or oil pump cover wear. I believe the 0.006" gasket on the pump cover currently is mylar - not easily compressed. Though I didn't initially want to have to buy it, the TA gasket assortment includes mylar and paper gaskets of various thicknesses. I'll dry assemble and check clearance using plastigauge or end-play of the gear/rod as in the video above. Then will add vaseline and everything will be super! I have previous experience with this oiling system - gained when I built my TTA engine back in 2009. Back then it was Dan Strezo to the rescue!