Oil Priming Help

tseminara

Long time reader, first time poster. Looking for assistance regarding priming my engine. Looked through a lot of the threads and other sites already.

Engine on the stand, priming with oil pump through cam sensor getting oil up the feed line to the turbo and only up to one rocker on the driver side. Trying to turn the motor over while the drill is going not getting oil up to the passenger side at all. Packed gears with Vaseline prior to priming. Thoughts on how to proceed? Should I see oil getting up to all the rockers? Gauge connected is inaccurate but am getting a build up of pressure registered.
Motor is stock everything except the comp cams stiffer springs in the heads.

TireFryer

The New Kid
keep spinning it in intervals and you’ll get there. Sometimes the motor needs to be running. Maybe try taking the lifters out and soaking them in oil to get the air out if the engine isn’t all put together. My engine only had oil at a couple rockers. Instantly had oil at all rockers as soon as engine started. Also were the pushrods clear?

tseminara

Thanks for the reply. Yes push rods were cleared, brake clean and air before reinstalling as well soaked lifters in oil for some time before dropping back in.

Will keep trying in intervals, know it might take some time to get oil all the way upstairs but not sure how long to expect and when to assume a problem. One rocker oil is coming out was pretty instantaneous.

TireFryer

The New Kid
Thanks for the reply. Yes push rods were cleared, brake clean and air before reinstalling as well soaked lifters in oil for some time before dropping back in.

Will keep trying in intervals, know it might take some time to get oil all the way upstairs but not sure how long to expect and when to assume a problem. One rocker oil is coming out was pretty instantaneous.
Try priming, spin it a little. Prime, spin. Etc that’ll move the lifters and open the oil passages for oil to flow through.

HotAir6 v.2.0

Uncool Misfit
You are going to want to see oil coming out of all you rockers. Otherwise you can't be sure they are oiling properly. Make sure you spin the oil pump until it feels like there is more resistance. I had to do it pretty fast and it did take a little bit for all push rods to flow. But I was able to see assembly lube pushing through the rocker so I knew I was good to go. If you have an oil cooler I have noticed making sure those lines are filled up also helps the pump prime a little easier.

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy
Long time reader, first time poster. Looking for assistance regarding priming my engine. Looked through a lot of the threads and other sites already.

Engine on the stand, priming with oil pump through cam sensor getting oil up the feed line to the turbo and only up to one rocker on the driver side. Trying to turn the motor over while the drill is going not getting oil up to the passenger side at all. Packed gears with Vaseline prior to priming. Thoughts on how to proceed? Should I see oil getting up to all the rockers? Gauge connected is inaccurate but am getting a build up of pressure registered.
Motor is stock everything except the comp cams stiffer springs in the heads.
Who build/assembled the engine? What bearing was installed for the cam?

Little story . . . .
I had a local shop known for rebuilding Buick V6 engines many years ago rebuild a block. Installed it, started it, started around 50 PSI, but dropped to ZERO oil pressure after about 3 min of running. Shut off, cool down, repeat, same result. (They told me they didn't find anything)

Pulled engine back out, dropped off, primed on the engine stand, low oil pressure, internal hemorrhage. Dropped engine back off and they fixed it. Engine is still running. I was told the guy who build these engines was on vacation and another guy build it, and incorrectly installed the rear cam bearing.

Moral of the story: There was a recent thread that stated that these engines are nothing special and any shop can build these engines.
My advice is; Prime, prime, prime, until you see oil coming out of the push rods. If oil doesn't make it to the rockers with a drill (~1,000-1,200 RPM equivalent), it won't magically show up if you started it.