Oil Pan

88 inch-lbs

1358505ec2c83ffb689de6d05282f96b.jpg

Consider using a cometic for a gasket
DdI you apply a thin film of Permatex Ultra Black on both sides of the Cometic Oil Pan Gasket before installing?
It is a very hard gasket and not sure how it will compress otherwise

DdI you apply a thin film of Permatex Ultra Black on both sides of the Cometic Oil Pan Gasket before installing?
It is a very hard gasket and not sure how it will compress otherwise

Ultra black is NOT a gasket sealer its a gasket maker.....I know I know people have used it on gaskets but its not its intended purpose what you want to use is a gasket sealant

https://www.permatex.com/product-category/gasketing/gasket-sealants/

I use High tack on gasket on oil pan gasket.

And Right stuff in rear main cap faces, side cavities and a smear down parting lines on inside of block. Let sit for 2 days or so before exposing to oil.

Clean clean clean all mating surfaces...brake cleaner is your friend

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone. The resources that recommended 14 ft lbs seemed wrong. Then, when I tightened the RJC oil pan against the girdle and the cork gasket and Right Stuff oozed out, I knew it was wrong. Ironically, the Right Stuff cleaned up without drama from the pan and girdle. Oh well, it's on to another gasket; and dealing with the Buick crowd and Jason at RJC Racing continues to make this all good.

The regular felpro blue gasket with a little sealer on both sides and dental floss to hold it in place works awesome.

You use the dental floss to tie the gasket to the pan. Once you ge some bolts in loosely you remove the floss and the gasket stays in place with the bolts. bc most of the time the gasket is not proper from packaging .. this is an old man trick usually used outside ,in the back of old laundry mats where they also troll for women of the night who like to floss with it after meeting people like KC87... :LOL:

every gasket ive done ( pan, diff, valve cover ,ETC.) i use a very thin layer of the right stuff to hold in place and sometimes a very thin layer on the other side ... smeared very thin... and haven't experienced a leak yet

You use the dental floss to tie the gasket to the pan. Once you ge some bolts in loosely you remove the floss and the gasket stays in place with the bolts. bc most of the time the gasket is not proper from packaging .. this is an old man trick usually used outside ,in the back of old laundry mats where they also troll for women of the night who like to floss with it after meeting people like KC87... :LOL:

Ha, that's just one of my M-Os. Another one that's always good is I take a wad of 50 one dollar bills and wrap it with a 50, than go to an Arby's where I know the high class "womens" hangout and let them see it. The money that is. Whoa, talk about gimme dollar!

damn it man.. that will work ..jerryl likes Luby's .. they still make 50 dollar bills :ROFLMAO: ...gimme dollar:p

I've had stock rubber cometic and the felpro blue. The stock one leaked. The cometic with sealer never leaked. The blue felpro installed dry that I have now doesn't leak.