Oil leak!!!!

stev6785

SO I Purchased A 87 Grand National Last Saturday, I Drove It Fot A Day Or two No Sign Of Leaking Oil. But All Of A Sudden Its Pouring Out Oil. It Wont Leak Oil Sittin There, But As Soon As I Go Down The Road And Come Back Its pouring out. It Looks Like Its Dripping Down The Timing Cover To The Left Of The Harmonic Balnancer. The Previous Owner Said He Had A Front Seal And Timing Chain installed. Can Someone Please Give Me An Idea Of What Mite Be Leaking. The Car Runs Great And Is In Awesome Original Condition. Just Gotta Figure This Out So I Can DRive It Lol.. thanks

Sounds like the timing cover gasket is torn or broke somewhere , most likely the gasket may have slipped when doing the timing chains , you can check all the bolts in the cover to see see if any is loose or missing . If that does not work r&r the cover and replace the gasket .

Clean it with some engine degreaser and a hose.
Spray foot powder on the area - and start he car.
Foot powder spray is $1 per can at Dollar Tree.

Certainly sounds like an oil "pressure" leak - but it could be a seal or a gasket.
Wouldn't think you need to drive it down the road to find where it is leaking.

Look carefully to the left of the harmonic balancer, - and up under the turbo. On the block.
That is where the oil pressure sending unit is located, the hoses, the "T", fitting, and hard lines are often hacked if someone added some gauges or whatever.

Attachments

• Buick_Oil_Sensors.jpg
    Buick_Oil_Sensors.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 239
My guess is the oil pump gasket (and/or if it's a POS chinese cover, the front seal) or the turbo drain. Does the timing cover look new or old? Odds are the PO cleaned the oil off long enough to get the car sold.

Last Night I Sprayed It With Engine Degreaser And I Found Out Tbat It WasPouring Down The Timing Cover. At First I Thought It Was TheaAdapter For The Oil Cooler Between The Filter But Thats Not It. Tommorow After Work I Plan On taking Out The Intercooler And Get The Harmonic Balncer Off So I Can Get A Better look

Its A Pretty Bad Leak And If I Cant Find A Simple Solution Tomorrow After Taking It Apart.. ILl Probly Start With A Front Seal And Timing Cover Gasket.. The Turbo And All Lines Around It Look good

Just checked the oil pressure sensor. Everything looks ok there

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

What about the flexible tube that drains oil from the turbo? If it cracks it will leak like hell and it's common for the flange to get warped and leak where it meets the turbo.

I don't know when the previous owner did the timing cover replacement, but is it possible that you're missing a bolt as indicated on photo, or all bolts not torque correctly?

Attachments

• back side of missing bolt timing cover.jpg
    back side of missing bolt timing cover.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 357
Thanks.. I'm Gonna Get Into It Tomorrow I Hope Its Something As Easy As changing That. I Barely Got To Enjoy The Car Before This happen. Ill Keep You Guys Updated.. Thanks Again

Just find this.. Should there be a bolt there?

Attachments

• 1381370350295.jpg
    1381370350295.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 244
What about the flexible tube that drains oil from the turbo? If it cracks it will leak like hell and it's common for the flange to get warped and leak where it meets the turbo.

And that's such a fun place to work in - and such a fun part to take loose. They're downright evil. :mad:

@gnonyx is this the bolt indicated in the pic?

There is supposed to be a bolt there. Pop one of the bolts out of the fuel pump block off plate. The missing fastener is the same size.

I also see you have one of those oil pump spacer plates. There's a chance you have a leak there too.

Keep your eyes open with the car. With the level of attention that was applied to the timing chain/cover/pump job, there might be other stuff waiting to crop up.

Do you have a front mount intercoler on the car? I see a non stock bottom bolt holding the wiring on and no intercooler bracket there.

on second glance, it looks like the missing bolt is in the wrong place. You're supposed to have a studded bolt on the bottom holding that plastic conduit retainer. I think the 'mechanic' put it down there and lost your expensive bolt for you.

@gnonyx is this the bolt indicated in the pic?

Last night I couldn't keep my eyes open, while others are like Owls
Yes, there should be a short bolt as I indicated in the photo I provided for you.
I don't know off hand what size is that bolt, and maybe someone can chime in and tell you the exact bolt size.