Oil in cylinders, smokes

Dean

Engine was running fine, then a few weeks back I'm idling outside the garage waiting for the door to go up and I see puffs of smoke coming from the tailpipes. Investigation revealed burnt oil coated piston tops, all cylinders, and some oil coating in plenum. Disconnected PCV and went for a longish drive, ~50 miles. No smoke while cruising or under load, LOTS of smoke at idle. Embarrassing amounts.

- Was running 20W-50 when the smoking started
- Oil on all pistons
- Light oil residue in lower intake, less so in upper (presume from when PCV was hooked up)
- Now no PCV to intake tract currently hooked up, put 60 miles on in like that
- Intercooler up pipe and front of TB dry
- DP dry
- Turbo compressor side dry
- Turbo exhaust side turbine has signs of oil flinging, and oil behind impeller, but that wouldn't result in oil in cylinders
- Cylinder leak down test: (6-5-4-3-2-1) 8%, 2%, 9%, 5%, 6%, 5%.

What am I not looking at?

One other bullet item, this is a very low mile engine, no I doubt ALL intake valve stem seals suddenly failed. I don't recall if it has seals on the exhaust valves,

I had a friend rebuild the engine. New rings and valve job along with all new bearings while it was out. Put it back in and still smoked. Turned out to be the turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sucks but at least you found the issue...

Much cheaper than tearing the engine apart and you learned from the mistakes others have made so I would still consider it a win.

How big is your oil return line from turbo? One time I put tape over the outlet while turbo was in storage and forgot to remove tape when I installed it. I had a smoke machine but once I realized what happened and removed the tape it was fine. Mine only ran for a minute tho.

How big is your oil return line from turbo? One time I put tape over the outlet while turbo was in storage and forgot to remove tape when I installed it. I had a smoke machine but once I realized what happened and removed the tape it was fine. Mine only ran for a minute tho.

Stock oil return.