Oil Drain Tube?

DWB47

My car needs an oil drain tube, The PO kinked it. I have found several online that are stock style replacements. Is there an easier way to do this? The corrugated steel line looks kinda tricky to install. How does the line seal at the opposite end of the turbo? I haven't pulled mine out yet, and it's hard to see where it connects. Does the turbo need to be removed to replace the drain line? Thanks.

I have found that the stock drain tube for the Hot-Airs is short and routing it into the intake grommet is difficult.

Rather than purchasing a 84/85 drain tube I would suggest buying a 86/87 drain tube and modifying it. To make it work on your car cut the (flared) very end of the drain tube and remove the nut. The 86/87 drain tube is longer and it makes it much easier to get into the intake.

The drain tube seals at the turbo with two 13MM bolts and a gasket. Your best bet is to remove the turbo. Install the modified 86/87 drain line and you will be set.

it's not hard to get the stock drain tube into the grommet- you just gotta kind of bend it the right way and maneuver the turbo as you drop it in.

From what I've found the 86/87 drain tube is about $40 cheaper than the 84/85. If all I have to do is cut the end off thats worth $40 to me. I was wondering if there was an easy way to install nipples and use rubber hose, but it looks like that would be more trouble than it's worth.

Due to the heat I would not use rubber hose. If you decide to buy the 86/87 line make sure you just cut the flared part of the tube on the end so you can pull the nut off. You do not want to remove too much from that area because that will slide into the Intake grommet.

Most of the drain tubes I have found come with the gasket to the turbo, but not the intake grommet. Should I be concerned with replacing the grommett, if so where can I get one?

I had an impossible time finding one for my carbed setup so I ended up making my own. It is made out of hydraulic hose. Yes, Hydro hose will stand up to the heat. Anything less wont though. Brazed a hose barb to the origional turbo oil drain flange and brazed another one inside a soft plug and pounded the soft plug in the hole (without the grommet). I am not sure how the SFI setup is compared to a carb but it should work. Ended up costing under $15 for 2 hose barbs, a soft plug, 1 ft of hydro hose and 2 hose clamps. Takes some fab skills but it really wasnt that hard.