oil controversy

10w30 mobil 1 synthetic

My gn has 70k on it and it bearly leaks at all. I like the extra protection that synthetics give because when i do drive it I DRIVE IT:D No sense in having a fast car and never legging it out. I am in the process of putting front and rear main seals in but only because i replaced the timing chain. they leaked some but not enought to leave a spot on the shop floor. I am thinking of trying some Redline oil..pretty pricey but i think it worth it. I change my oil after i race it or 500 miles...whichever comes first....When I took my timing cover off it was very very clean and the plastic timing gear and chain was perfect....It is your call but i have had very good luck with synthetics...hope this helps someone:) ..Bob

Re: 10w30 mobil 1 synthetic

Originally posted by Super6
I change my oil after i race it or 500 miles.. ..Bob

No way :rolleyes: you mean you change your oil after it looks dirty :D

I see the guy running the dragster at the track..three passes..dumps the 9 quarts of redline oil :)..whats that 1 mile per oil change :D

Nascar changes after 500 miles ;)

miles

My car had right at 63K when i bought it now has 70,423 on the clock..I have owned the car almost 7 years:eek: I'm always working and improving something on it:D It is the queen of my shop:) Anyways it and everything i drive runs synthetic every place i can put it,wheel bearings,trans,transfer case, rearends..I even run synthetic oil in my riding craftsman lawnmower:) the mower is like 13 years old. It does use a little oil but i have replaced a lot of things but the engine still runs like a champ:)

Buick guys. "Always trying to squeeze blood from a stone" as a certain vendor once told me. It has never rang so true as in this thread.

I truly cannot imagine any other group of performance enthusiasts pumping 300-700? Horsepower from a V6 sitting around debating this like they are scientists with their scientific proof of how their .89 oil is a miracle created by god himself.

Synthetic = Proven better. (Those of you who object, i suspect nothing could ever satisfy you.) And even if you had just an idea that it "might" be better - doesnt your engine deserve it? (Those of you running half way decent, like 12's or better) How many of us buy crap and bolt it on like mad men, and go turn in 13 second slips? Spend some of that dough on a good foundation, a good synthetic.

Bob

You guys just go ahead and spend too much for your oil. You're all just too ANAL. Misery loves company. I'll just pass, thankyou.

Originally posted by BM Computer Src
Buick guys. "Always trying to squeeze blood from a stone" as a certain vendor once told me. It has never rang so true as in this thread.

I truly cannot imagine any other group of performance enthusiasts pumping 300-700? Horsepower from a V6 sitting around debating this like they are scientists with their scientific proof of how their .89 oil is a miracle created by god himself.

Synthetic = Proven better. (Those of you who object, i suspect nothing could ever satisfy you.) And even if you had just an idea that it "might" be better - doesnt your engine deserve it? (Those of you running half way decent, like 12's or better) How many of us buy crap and bolt it on like mad men, and go turn in 13 second slips? Spend some of that dough on a good foundation, a good synthetic.
Bob

Who's beating the 89c oil drum? WHat ever happened to Castrol? Or any of the other dino brands mentioned? Synthetic is proven better? In what? An engine designed with it in mind? One with better engineered seals? A NASCAR motor that gets rebuilt after 500 miles? A Porsche that's lucky to see 3k in 3 years? Christ, the car leaks enough without introducing the snake oil that is synthetic. Tell me it doesn't piss past even new seals on our cars and I'll laugh at your post. So only people that run synthetic rin 12's?.. Please..

Must be a bitch to drive with those blinders on.

Originally posted by SuperSix
Who's beating the 89c oil drum? WHat ever happened to Castrol? Or any of the other dino brands mentioned? Synthetic is proven better? In what? An engine designed with it in mind? One with better engineered seals? A NASCAR motor that gets rebuilt after 500 miles? A Porsche that's lucky to see 3k in 3 years? Christ, the car leaks enough without introducing the snake oil that is synthetic. Tell me it doesn't piss past even new seals on our cars and I'll laugh at your post. So only people that run synthetic rin 12's?.. Please..

Must be a bitch to drive with those blinders on.

You know, I guess I knew better than to post about this because I just knew that ignorance was bound to pop up with a personally negative response.

I personally have not had these "snake oil" leaks. Nothing more than conventional, in my old GN (150K miles) or my current TTA (49K miles). I did not say that only people who run syn's are the only ones in the 12's, you read it wrong. Its nothing personal guys, just facinating that we are all arguing against that which professionals use - those that do what we do for fun on a professional basis.

Bob

Originally posted by BM Computer Src
You know, I guess I knew better than to post about this because I just knew that ignorance was bound to pop up with a personally negative response.

I personally have not had these "snake oil" leaks. Nothing more than conventional, in my old GN (150K miles) or my current TTA (49K miles). I did not say that only people who run syn's are the only ones in the 12's, you read it wrong. Its nothing personal guys, just facinating that we are all arguing against that which professionals use - those that do what we do for fun on a professional basis.

Bob

What professionals? NASCAR? IROC? CART? Name your poison - they all rebuild after each race or a very limited amount of runs. Gee.. if synthetic is THAT good, why do they rebuild after every race?

You spout off about scientific proof.. Where's yours? ANd please, don't direct me to an Amsoil page, that is INDEED snake oil.

Wellll I like giving my money away and putting in 5 dollar a quart oil and a 12 dollar filter...cuase it gives me personal confidence to take my car into the 11 second zone over a hundred times in the last two years . And have zero bearing scoring.. So it may be better..it may not..I will never find out on my stock motor. :p

Plus I like how it turns purple when I spray the floor with degreaser..it looks way cool :)

Wonder how much a TTA crank goes for these days..you better bet it will always run clean synthetic..proof or not.

Whats next a timing chain, downpipe, alky/race gas, car wax thread :D

How bout them Fram oil filters :)

So the fact the motor idles differently with synthetic in it doesnt have any bearing..all my cars when I switched to the dino oil, my motors would idle differently. I could tell a difference.

So the argument is money or oil leak ? :confused:

I think its money not the leak. :D

I started using Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5-40 wt oil in mine... It's rated SL API , but it has a higher percent of Phosphorus/Zinc (Anti-Wear) in it since it's used mainly in big trucks, gas and diesel...... No leaks .Plus it's rated CH-4 (high Heat Service) .Get it at Wal-Mart and used in a lot of European cars in racing.....Also Mobil 1 0-40 wt is used in new GM cars and other Makers use this too.... :)

======

ROTELLA® T Synthetic:

Meets engine warranty requirements to the maximum allowable drain by the OEM
Provides outstanding wear protection
Withstands extreme heat
Provides superb soot handling
Enhances cold-temperature starting
Has low volatility
Offers superior oxidation stability
Improves fuel economy, up to 3%
Lowers oil consumption
Is available where you buy ROTELLA® T
Applications
Because ROTELLA® T Synthetic 5W-40 was developed especially to meet the requirements of today’s high performance diesel engines and because it carries the latest gasoline engine credentials (API SL), it’s ideally suited for use in heavy-duty and light-duty diesel and gasoline engines, even in the most extreme conditions.

Specifications and approvals
ROTELLA® T Synthetic 5W-40 meets or exceeds all requirements of API CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, and CF; Cummins CES 20076 (extended drain); Mack EO-M Plus (extended drain); Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel, Dodge, Ford, International, Navistar and Volvo.

:)

People who actually "think" their cars run better or faster with synthetic oil are converted..... Dawn of the Dead comes to mind...... :rolleyes:

You zombies kill me. :D

Am I the only one who has a buick that doesn't leak,,,,not a drop,,,,nothing,front or rear. Ughhh better go check the oil level:eek: . Mobil synthetic here 10W-30.

Ok, this is the last I am going to say. On the dyno sythetic makes more power. I have seen it first hand, and it is avaible in many media for those of you who care to look. My cars run better, cooler, and longer than they would without it. My turbo spools better, it even sounds different. Plain and simple, if it helps make power, then I love it. If snake oil did that for me, I would be out killing snakes right now. If you want to use dino oil feel free. I will not criticize you for it, so please don't act like enyone who uses a different oil that you is less intellegent. Just my humble opinion of course. Later.....Danny

Wellll I like giving my money away and putting in 5 dollar a quart oil and a 12 dollar filter...cuase it gives me personal confidence to take my car into the 11 second zone over a hundred times in the last two years . And have zero bearing scoring.. So it may be better..it may not..I will never find out on my stock motor. :p

Plus I like how it turns purple when I spray the floor with degreaser..it looks way cool :)

Wonder how much a TTA crank goes for these days..you better bet it will always run clean synthetic..proof or not.

Whats next a timing chain, downpipe, alky/race gas, car wax thread :D

How bout them Fram oil filters :)

So the fact the motor idles differently with synthetic in it doesnt have any bearing..all my cars when I switched to the dino oil, my motors would idle differently. I could tell a difference.

So the argument is money or oil leak ? :confused:

I think its money not the leak. :D
Does your car really idle differently with synthetic oil vs conventional?

I’m not sure I noticed any difference when I switched?

Before being semi retired but still running a Performance/Race engine machine shop for almost 50 years, here are a few facts as I have learned with SYN OIL:
Syn oil allows tighter bearing clearances,
Makes more HP and TQ,
JB Turbo spools slightly quicker
Oil runs cooler,
Less wear on bearings and cylinders,
Less HP loss from oil pump drag,
More piston slap on cold starts
Requires more Hydraulic lifter preload
for higher HP due to quicker bleed down
Makes hyd lifters louder due to quicker bleed down, (use more preload)
Engine "seems to warm up quicker" on cold starts due to less drag,
Torque convertor stalls a bit higher
Trans has Less parasitic losses
Rearend has Less parasitic drag
Makes your posi not work as well!!!!
Can show 1 or 2 tenths and over a MPH on the strip when used in everything,
EXCEPT THE DAMN POSI!!!
OK, so it is thinner so it leaks more, BUY BETTER SEALS, GASKETS!!! and take more care on assembly!
Or cheap out and make excuses!

I run synthetics in all of my cars, boats, bikes, and airplane, and AMSOIL in my race equipment.

Conjecture or wishful thinking on my part?
Or was it my engine, chassis, and bike dyno, or spending 40 to 50 weekends per year at the dragstrip?
Your call....
TIMINATOR

P.S. if you think low RPM, delivery truck engines have any relevance to 500+ HP turbo V-6 engines, do more research....
TIMINATOR

I'm sure oil technology will change in another 22 years, mebbie we can keep it open! LOL!
But I won't be around to read it!
TIMINATOR

I believe it was 19 1/2 years anyway. Not everyone here now was here then, and the thread is still relevant. Peeps here now need to learn what we old folk learned years ago. I think the quote goes something like: "Those that have not learned from history are doomed to repeat it."
I believe that's why the U.S. and most European countries are giving aid to the Ukraine, to prevent another Hitler deal....
JMHO TIMINATOR