Oil Catch Can & Valve Covers Installed

turbojay

I had been looking for a solution for oil coming out of the valve cover breathers under boost and came up with this...new valve covers from arizonagn.com, they have a 1" hole and come with rubber grommets. Fel-pro gaskets. Adapters from http://www.cottonsperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ENG121 fit into the rubber grommets and allow female -12 AN fittings to connect. Hoses from summit racing, cut to size, fitted with 12 AN fittings. Oil catch can from Ebay.com, installed it using the turbo cover bolts. Anyways, here are some pics...

Before:
Engineinstalled.jpg

After:
catch1.jpg

catch3.jpg

Parts Used:
catch5.jpg

Nice! Exactly what I'm looking to do in the near future. Were things getting messy with the breathers? Like oil misting on the valve covers?

Nice! Exactly what I'm looking to do in the near future. Were things getting messy with the breathers? Like oil misting on the valve covers?

Yes, the old valve covers had a lot of oil on them and the old breathers were caked with it. Also there was always that burnt oil smell under the hood.

Looks great. Had the same issue with the oil mist, then someone decided to dump sand in the motor through one of the breathers so now at least it's more secure. I used a GN1 catch can mounted to the core support under the headlights. Only one hose connects both valve covers and the can. Have heard of some using a smog pump on a boost/vacuum switch also.
Engine 2015-2.jpg

Looks great. Had the same issue with the oil mist, then someone decided to dump sand in the motor through one of the breathers so now at least it's more secure. I used a GN1 catch can mounted to the core support under the headlights. Only one hose connects both valve covers and the can. Have heard of some using a smog pump on a boost/vacuum switch also.
View attachment 301084

Yours looks super clean.

IMG_0968.JPG
IMG_2575.JPG
Looks like a nice set up from nick that simplifies what I had to do. My result is very similar with locking breathers welded to the valve covers

Last edited:
So are those -12 an elbow fittings just pressed into the factory breather grommet?

My .02. I would move the catch can somewhere else. I've witnessed a cars blow headgaskets/crack pistons and push oil out of the breather tank. Oil spraying on a really hot turbo and the next thing you know you are on fire.....

My .02. I would move the catch can somewhere else. I've witnessed a cars blow headgaskets/crack pistons and push oil out of the breather tank. Oil spraying on a really hot turbo and the next thing you know you are on fire.....

Hmm...good point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

are you guys also hooking up your pcv valve to the catch can?

Yup, I have a 2nd catch can which is dedicated to the PCV system. Be sure to run a check valve (low cracking pressure like the Kynar one from US Plastics) in line to prevent pressurizing your catch can when under boost.

Jay, make sure the grommets are wide open. If you didn't already do it I suggest cutting the baffle off the bottom of the grommet and remove the foam. You want them to flow free.

It turned out nice. Good job (y)

Good point although the hoses would prolly blow out the of coves if the case is over pressurized.

Yup, I have a 2nd catch can which is dedicated to the PCV system. Be sure to run a check valve (low cracking pressure like the Kynar one from US Plastics) in line to prevent pressurizing your catch can when under boost.

Same here. Used a small JLT catch can with a check valve.

PCV catch can 2.jpg