Ohming Coil Pack

Dale G

Hi

I have the coil pack off the car with the module still attached. Can I ohm the coil with the module connected ? if you can, I'm getting 11.68,10.78 and 10.55 ohms. I'm getting a code 42 which is why I started this.

Thanks

Hi

I have the coil pack off the car with the module still attached. Can I ohm the coil with the module connected ? if you can, I'm getting 11.68,10.78 and 10.55 ohms. I'm getting a code 42 which is why I started this.

Thanks
Yes you can. It's normally done with it installed on the engine.

If you measure the resistance between the front and back terminals on each coil they should be in the range of 11-14K ohms.

A good coil pack to replace it with is the (BWD) Borg Warner Division brand
I know Oreilly's and Advance auto parts have them.

Based on the readings you took which believe are x 1k the coil pack is fine. The module is more than likely the problem.

Neal

Coils have two sides, a primary and a secondary. Ohming the top only covers the secondarys. The connection to the ignition module has to be disconnected to measure that impedence.

Also: that test isn't conclusive. You can prove a bad coil if it's directly shorted or open. But it's possible to be 'in spec' yet still fail to perform.

If you remove the coil pack from the module the big chain auto parts stores can test both of them for you. I know Autozone does this.

If you decide to have this done it would be a good idea to call your local store ahead of time to make sure they can perform the tests before driving there. Also be careful when pulling the module wire connectors off the coil pack terminals they can and will break off very easily. I use a pair of pliers to grab the wire connector and pull it straight off the terminal without bending them.

Good luck with which ever you decide to do.