Off center TA BLOCK

tom robison

ALL UP IN THEM GUTZ
Here ya go Tommy, somebody from the Buick world needs to step up and represent lol!

Both those blocks would be just like LS swapping a Turbo Regal, which I have no problem with doing. They are not Billet Buick V6 Blocks.

turbobuick

Staff member
Who has had a block fail? Not from other internal parts failing and cause the block to be junk?
I am actually surprised you haven't broken one lol! Better yet to actually ruin a TA block to the point of not being able to use it would be pretty hard to do considering its aluminum. I am sure someone will find a way lol!

That billet block project has Fiscus name all over it! Won't surprise me if he doesnt try something like that.

4.250 bore with a 3.75" crank is 319ci which would make for some serious badassery on M1 and some stupid big turbo and S2 heads with a V6 weight break!

Which BTW S2 heads are basically LS heads with two cylinders chopped off, I am surprised your not all over that shit Tommy lol!

Mr.Spool

Who has had a block fail? Not from other internal parts failing and cause the block to be junk?
Well the blocks can usually be repaired,but why things fail is subject to alot of opinions,not sure what is actually the cause sometimes,blame can go everywhere.at the end of the buick power level I hear its anywhere from the blocks to the crank,yet I've seen the same stuff in other platforms make and live at higher power levels.question is are the blocks moving around or the billet cranks?if you get my drift.

turbobuick

Staff member
yet I've seen the same stuff in other platforms make and live at higher power levels.
Like what? Lets not forget some of the people who have been 6s at 200mph in a Buick Body either which isnt aerodynamically easy to do at any weight.

IMO the limiting factor is the split journal evan fire crank. I am not aware of to many other platforms with a crank design like that making more power than the Buick V6 cars have? I am trying to think if some of the top fastest Buicks and if they ran even or odd fire cranks? I recall Duttwieler talking about running shorter stroke cranks to keep more meat between the journals but dont recall if he went full odd fire or not with the Gallina/Freemen deal? Fiscus is definitely pushing the envelope now and has to be pushing the limits. IMO it is somewhere around 300hp/cyl even maybe less.

Mr.Spool

Like what?
well its nt stuff i cant get to specific but i will throw out that ive seen 2 china $500 cranks now make over 2000hp.now jumping into the buick world seen many including my engine builder and they dont want to put a $500 crank into a 5000 block.have also seen the 500 cranks crack in ta motors in alot less horsepower.so i have to wonder :unsure: whats actually moving around,i hear regardless of the crank including crowlers and the dls cranks they move around alot in buicks and yet in other platforms i see no issues with the china cranks on much bigger power than we make.

turbobuick

Staff member
A 2000 HP V8 is comparable to a 1500hp V6 both at 250hp per cylinder. Many have been there done that with the little V6. Right now I believe Fiscus has gone well beyond that number with the Mustang he is running in Ultrastreet. If I would have to guess he is at 300hp per hole maybe even more and all with a 76mm turbo! There is a reason BBCs are used extensively in builds over that mark, there is just more meat on them bones!

Again, its the split journal even fire V6 cranks are going to be the weakest link when really pushing these motors. If someone were to actually build a larger V6 like I talked about above it would almost have to be an Odd fire common journal crank. At 3.75" stroke there is just not enough material between the two rod journals to support the stress that kind of power is going to produce. Duttwieller quit using 3.625 cranks in high power even fire builds for this very reason. A 3.59 is actually a stronger crank for that reason too since there is less split between the journals and more common material between them. A Chinese 3.625 crank (or any forging for that matter even a BMS) with a split even fire journal at 250hp per cylinder is just a time bomb at that power level. A quality billet crank will go further but will also have its structual limits.

Mr.Spool

Yes that's correct.
That may be true but there are some very fast 109s that aren't in the spotlight and prefer to stay out.so you wont see them trying to claim the fastest 109.chris is running and advertising because it helps his business and he is flying and his is very talented,and I believe he will go faster yet.

ronviper

Mr Spool why are these fast 109's staying out, just for street racing. I know truly fast cars that race at the track and on the street. They don't hide they are proud of what they built, Chris doesn't brag about his car the time slip and video says it all.