Odd problem with OD pinion "wear washers"

INEEDAGN

Seen Your Member
the 4 wear washers that are closest to the sprag are well within spec with a feeler gauge but are worn laterally, egg shaped the holes and wobble around. All 4 washers did this, all on the same side of the planet. Everything else about the planet is cherry as this is a low mile 87 brf that I'm 99% certain had never been apart. I have a new set of wear washers for this but my gut tells me to replace at least the carrier assembly. I'm no pro but I've seen a few of these, couple of which had been beaten on quite mercilessly, and never seen this problem before. Thoughts?

image.jpg

Last edited:
I would replace the whole carrier especially from the looks of that pinion gear wear,also better look over ring gear too.

I don't see any problems with the gear teeth I think it's the lighting in that pic. It's tough to picture gear teeth it turns out. However one of the other washers is worse than what I'd pictured. I'm not sure if it's poorly made washers or poorly machined carrier but I'm gonna probably replace the whole planet to be safe and chalk it up to more awesome gm part quality. I would love to hear about it if anyone else has seen this before though.

image.jpeg

I don't see any problems with the gear teeth I think it's the lighting in that pic. It's tough to picture gear teeth it turns out. However one of the other washers is worse than what I'd pictured. I'm not sure if it's poorly made washers or poorly machined carrier but I'm gonna probably replace the whole planet to be safe and chalk it up to more awesome gm part quality. I would love to hear about it if anyone else has seen this before though.

View attachment 273353
They used to make a small parts kit for these older units where you could just rebuild the planet and install the new washers and I think even the needle bearings, I used to rebuild them all the time but its been a while since I have tried to buy one, and these modern transmissions they aren't even serviceable, you just have too buy a new planet.By the way the gears don't look so bad from that angle

Last edited:
I've got a new set of washers here on the bench. But I have serious concern that whatever caused it to happen the first time will cause it to happen again. The only way it wouldn't is if the washers were cut/stamped wrong and they put them in without looking at them, which is entirely possible. In fact that's the most likely explanation IMO

I've got a new set of washers here on the bench. But I have serious concern that whatever caused it to happen the first time will cause it to happen again. The only way it wouldn't is if the washers were cut/stamped wrong and they put them in without looking at them, which is entirely possible. In fact that's the most likely explanation IMO
Yea I would just check all the thrust washers and end play for the trans. and make sure that wasn't the culprit and if all looks good I wouldn't be afraid at all to rerun it, does the pin or the gear show any brinelling on them, if not throw it back together and run her. about the only thing that will cause this is end play too loose or a little metal run through the system, which the latter should be obvious if you were the one that tore the unit down, otherwise just probably junk thrust washers in the planet like you said.