Not WOT shifting

AbeWhat

Hey guys.
The car I have now is a 42k mile car. Stock turbo, 80lb injectors, powerlogger, 3"dp, fuel pump, stock d5 converter, stock trans internals as far as I know. The car sat for years before I bought it. I checked and changed the fluid, among all of the other spring cleaning chores after purchase. I recently had the engine rebuilt, after which the car ran/shifted fine. I've driven it about 1100 miles since then.

The trans is fine around town. It behaves totally normal. I finally got the car ready enough to do some WOT runs to check everything out. The car gets to the end of first and stays there until the throttle is released. The TPS and TV are adjusted, the fluid and filter are new, and it just started this behavior recently.

****I noticed when I pulled the pan today that circle magnet in the pan was broken. It appears all of the chunks are there, but this seems like it could have let debris into the trans. My questions are: Has anyone had this happen before? Is the trans definitely shot? If not, will it help at all to flush and refill it and add a new filter? Thanks to the trans gurus in advance.

EDIT: Boost is limited to 15psi on an aftermarket gauge.

I will put up a powerlogger file of the run in a few minutes. I've been in and out of the TR scene since 2006. This is my third GN, so I'm not a total n00b.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Governor needs to be inspected..What does it do at part to medium throttle?

Part/medium throttle is fine. It shifts tight and crisp. Just problems at WOT. I will check out the governor tomorrow after work. I didn't find the spring or anything in the pan. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
X2 on the gov inspection. Pull the cover I bet the spring just didn't make it down to the pan. You should consider "pinning" it while you have it apart .

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

In the garage now. The governor still has the spring in the side. Fluid looks good. The clutches I can see look nice.

Then I'd have to think Mr. Janis is on the right track. He has seen more than a few.
And I'd still consider pinning the spring while you have it apart.
Do you have a gauge to get some pressures?
What about the tv cable? Adjusted correctly?

Since it shifts the right way at the right time during normal driving,the governor spring should never have been thought of as a possible cause. If that spring were missing,it wouldn't shift at any throttle opening.
When full throttle is used after it is in second,does it hold second and shift into third at WOT?

Turns out the problem was not trans related. Sorry for the misleading post haha. It ended being a fueling issue. Thanks everyone for your help though!

I am tuning and figuring it out now. I think WOT fuel/alky were quenching the combustion.

Mine pulls hard until 115 then slows down and the climbs then slow like it fuel starved have a walbro from 2008 everything is set were it should but shifts fine around town just high rpm sucks

Mine pulls hard until 115 then slows down and the climbs then slow like it fuel starved have a walbro from 2008 everything is set were it should but shifts fine around town just high rpm sucks

I'm having the same issue any updates?

You guys need to be logging fuel pressure. It's worth it.

A gov spring issue is: won't shift at all at any throttle until you get up to a certain speed and then let off the gas completely, then it shifts. I mean like 4-5k, let off, shifts, back on gas in 2nd, tach it out, then off, shifts. I've done that 3x at the track and drove home. Now its pinned.

You guys need to be logging fuel pressure. It's worth it.

A gov spring issue is: won't shift at all at any throttle until you get up to a certain speed and then let off the gas completely, then it shifts. I mean like 4-5k, let off, shifts, back on gas in 2nd, tach it out, then off, shifts. I've done that 3x at the track and drove home. Now its pinned.
I'll check that out just bought the car first and last GN..